Airviking

What's "fun"?

~All of it... except the drinking beer with hot skychicks.

Wife standing right behind you as you post?:P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Alright, so let me elaborate: Being an old-school freefall swooper, to me, the more sky you use on a dive, the more fun it is. That said:
unlaunched exits - fun
launching pieces - less fun
larger formations - fun
tight ("good") 4-way RW - less fun
multiple plane loads - FUN!
Zoo dives - can be a lot of fun if you can get past the fact that it's a zoo dive

So, yeah almost all of skydiving is fun. However a lot of it is focused on learning something new, honing current skills, or trying to accomplish something difficult purely for the satisfaction of achieving something. This can be rewarding or frustrating, depending on outcome and attitude.

I do get the feeling though, that many who consider themselves to be "fun jumpers" take things way to seriously, and conduct their skydiving activities as though they were training for hard-core competition. I'm wondering if perhaps we are losing touch with the ability to play.
I believe you have my stapler.

I used to LOVE the zoo dives, trying new exits, trying new goofy-ass jumps (tubes, horny gorillas, weird hybrids, magic carpets, etc.) I still like that stuff from time to time, just not most of the time.

But I also *love* good, goal-oriented RW jumps. Last year I trained for 8-way intermediate and went to nationals, and also threw together a 4-way team for nationals (we did a whopping 2 jumps together before nationals). 8-way training days were at times grueling and frustrating, but man was it fun! And even though sometimes it felt like one step up and two steps back, I felt like I was getting better over the course of the season.

And what does improving my skills get me? The chance to be on some really cool jumps that, had I only ever done zoo dives, I wouldn't have been invited on. All I have to do is look at the centerfold of last August's Parachutist (a fairly complex color-coded 24-way). which I have blown up poster-size on my "I love me" wall to realize how much fun I can have being a slightly more "serious" skydiver. Being on the set of jumps that yielded that photo was one of the coolest experiences I've had ... I got to jump with a group of incredibly talented folks and do some really cool, successful dives.

Improving my skills also helps me be a better coach, and I think going up with a student can be some of the most fun I can have with skydiving. Seeing their enthusiasm in the plane, in the air, and when we debrief on the ground is a hell of a lot of fun for me.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I do get the feeling though, that many who consider themselves to be "fun jumpers" take things way to seriously, and conduct their skydiving activities as though they were training for hard-core competition. I'm wondering if perhaps we are losing touch with the ability to play.

Oh, THAT'S what you mean~ :ph34r:

I'm with ya on that one...when I head to the DZ it's with the idea of having fun, no pre-planned actitivies prior to getting there.

I too still like to do no contact exits, with loose dive plans...usually it's with noobs who really enjoy the lack of pressure to be perfect.

Throw in some occasional easy CReW now and then, I'll jump camera if someone needs it...what ever I feel like doing.

I see a lot of younger jumpers burn out 'having' to be there for 4way practice or whatever.

It's my recreation, I skydive for the fun.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Skydiving is fine, but after the jump day I like wearing a tight shirt and then seeing how much free beer I can get. :)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Alright, so let me elaborate: Being an old-school freefall swooper, to me, the more sky you use on a dive, the more fun it is. That said:
unlaunched exits - fun
launching pieces - less fun
larger formations - fun
tight ("good") 4-way RW - less fun
multiple plane loads - FUN!
Zoo dives - can be a lot of fun if you can get past the fact that it's a zoo dive

So, yeah almost all of skydiving is fun. However a lot of it is focused on learning something new, honing current skills, or trying to accomplish something difficult purely for the satisfaction of achieving something. This can be rewarding or frustrating, depending on outcome and attitude.

You have the makings of a perfect member of Airtrash... check them out:
http://www.airtrash.com/

Skydiving is fine, but after the jump day I like wearing a tight shirt and then seeing how much free beer I can get. :)

I'd buy you more than you can drink. :P
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

What aspects of your skydiving is fun?

~All of it... except the drinking beer with hot skychicks.

Yeah ... That part really sucks. Makes me want to quit. B|
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

As I recall my favorite dives were always the novelty dives, stuff like tubes and horny gorillas and such. Doing serious 4-way was a bummer when things didn't go right and a blast when they did. The competitive element seemed to be more trouble than it was worth.
My motivation to come back to the sport was seeing wingsuiting and freeflying on youtube. It looked like the FUN had returned to the sport. Maybe turning points wasn't so important anymore.
Once I finish my education and am gainfully employed again, look for me flocking or going head down and chasing tennis balls!! THAT is what I'll be doing! ;)

Card carrying member of the
Nanny State Liberation Front

As I recall my favorite dives were always the novelty dives, stuff like tubes and horny gorillas and such. Doing serious 4-way was a bummer when things didn't go right and a blast when they did. The competitive element seemed to be more trouble than it was worth.
My motivation to come back to the sport was seeing wingsuiting and freeflying on youtube. It looked like the FUN had returned to the sport. Maybe turning points wasn't so important anymore.
Once I finish my education and am gainfully employed again, look for me flocking or going head down and chasing tennis balls!! THAT is what I'll be doing! ;)

I hear ya loud and clear. I'd LOVE to try the sky-ball thing. That just looks awesome! I've never done a hoop dive but would love to try that as well.
I believe you have my stapler.

My analyst says I need to get back in touch with my inner child.:D That said, I'm revisiting skydiving entirely for the fun of it. To me, the sky is just one big playground.

So I gotta ask: What aspects of your skydiving is fun?

Fun is what you enjoy (duh). If you don't enjoy doing something, do something else that you do enjoy.

Me, personally?

It's fun pulling into the parking lot looking forward to a day at the DZ.

It's fun seeing all my friends there.
It's fun opening the hangar door, putting out the windblades and pulling the plane out.

I'm not an instructor, but students are a lot of fun for me.

It's fun getting the students signed in, "waivered" and started on their day.

It's fun watching them go through FJC or tandem instruction, seeing the idea that they are actually going to jump sink in.

It's fun riding up with first timers, feeding off their energy and fears and nervousness.

If I'm not on the plane with them, being the first one on the ground to help them gather up their gear or "catching" the tandems is among my favorite things. Being the first one to ask "Well, how was it?" is so cool.

Oh, yeah, and that jumping thing is pretty fun too. But I can spend a day on the DZ and have a wonderful, fun, relaxing, cathartic day without ever leaving the ground. Or if I'm the only pilot available, I can fly all day long and still have a lot of fun.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo