guineapiggie101

failed first AFF jump

Are you dead??????

If not, then you didn't fail.

As an AFFI.... I can tell you I dump out plenty of L1's.
But if you do not enjoy the process.... Don't force yourself. You have already done more than most.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Can tunnel time count towards one of the AFF level skydives?

No, but it helps you on your freefall skills and comfort levels.

I noticed that you're still talking pass/fail.
Why is that?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

There is no such thing as a failed AFF jump if you survive it uninjured. An AFF jump is training; it is not a quiz. Just like any training, you practice a skill set until you gain proficiency at it; then you move on to the next element of the skill set. Sometimes it requires live-practicing a given skill set more than once to become proficient at it - just like, for example, practicing parallel parking numerous times until you become proficient. And that's OK! (It may be expensive, but it's still OK.)

and

I really really hate the use of the word "fail" when it comes to making a skydive. Are you alive? Uninjured? Then you didn't fail.

You may not have completed all the objectives for that jump, but you didn't fail. Your instructor may have had to pull for you, but hey, that's why you have instructors with you at this point.

+1 (and another +1? or should that be +2? lol)

------------------
Newbie myself, so take this as only my own experience and what others have shared with me-- and sounds like you maybe have a unique situation (a physical disability? in need of larger rig/mods as mentioned due to size/for wingloading? sorry if I don't know the back-story here.. ignore if irrelevant..)

I think Andy and Amazon (and it sounds like DSE too) are spot (haha pun intended :P) on, you did not FAIL. and those folks know what they are talking about too unlike us newbs but when three or more experienced jumpers/instructors say that I'd tend to take it to heart :P.
It's not a natural thing for your body to master in the first jump. It will come with experience and time.

First, your instructors have worked with plenty of new AFF students and know what to help you with and how. And if as it sounds DSE is one of 'em, then he's done some coach jumps and instruction with me when I was out at his dz, and I'd tend to take his word on what he tells ya needs to happen.. he's a great instructor and skydiver.

As another newb said, sounds simple, but breathe- really focus on breathing if you feel yourself hyperventilating/stressing? It gives you something calming and natural to focus on while you are listening to or thinking through tasks that to a normal human are anything but "calm and natural" lol. Sounds so straightforward but it is so useful and essential and we don't usually possess a conscious awareness or control unless we intentionally do so- skydiving in my limited experience is much about intent, and is more mind than body (but they integrate thoroughly of course).

Also for me, visualizing each step of the jump with whatever those small muscle twitches are called (moving slightly as you simulate how you plan to perform) can help-- but don't mind-fuck it either lol. Oh and as another said, smile if ya can! Endorphins are good, and "fake it til ya make it," 'er something like that :)
Mantras can help as well. Perhaps on the drive to the dz-- "I see myself completing this jump safely and confidently." "I am progressing in my goals." "I see myself successfully ____/I will ___ on this jump" IMHO, for max effectiveness of such mantras, frame it in the positive sense and also in present tense- i.e. I see myself _____ and not the negative, i.e. I will *not* do (opposite of ___), if that makes any sense.

Hope some of these ideas help, but note, they are just what helped ME personally as a newer jumper of course you should talk through anything with your own AFF-Is!! Keep us posted, good luck, and have fun! sounds like with a modified rig etc., you've worked to achieve your dreams of flying, so keep at it and have fun! It is worth it! :P

edit: I see things are progressing and you feel more confident about your second L-1 jump- congrats!!!

:)
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Thanks for your suggestions. I did barely pass my repeat AFF 1 jump on Sat (yay). I was a lot calmer and actually gave myself a pep talk on the way to the DZ (about being confident and sure of myself).

In the next week or so, I am going to schedule some time at the wind tunnel at Perris, to work on stabilizing and arching (I have problems with my arch). Everybody says that tunnel time will help me tighten up the arch. I hope it will also help me get over the fear that I have when I jump out of the plane (since it seems I forget EVERYTHING when I am out there).

BTW, in regards to my "unique situation", I am jumping a student rig that was modified so I can pull a ripcord (due to my short stature and my short arms).

Try meditation.
In general and specifically oriented to the task of AFF.

I can't remember the exact science but your brain reacts the same way to doing a task as it does thinking of or visualizing the same activity.

I believe this video explains what im writing of in some detail, could be wrong though :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbh5l0b2-0o

I am ALIVE!

I had a problem confusing the "extend legs" and "pull" hand signals around 4...kicked my AFFI in the head as well. Repeats happen. Once you learn to breath, relax and have fun it all starts to come to you.

I remember the feeling of wanting to get my license without any repeats, weather delays, etc., etc. It was told to me a couple times that it's a journey not a destination. It's true. Have fun. Be safe.

I had to repeat level 3 twice before I got it right, I could remember to check altitude and pull, but not while also remembering to arch. All my trouble in AFF was because I couldn't relax and was hyper-focusing on the wrong details, I had some real rough landings in AFF. Several times on my way to the dropzone early on I thought, "maybe you should just turn around because you can't do this right, its too much." That would have been the biggest mistake I ever made, don't give up.
"Do you really want to take advice from the guy we call Tarmac?"