JerseyShawn

Beer dues.

Hi everyone. I plan on finishing up my AFF tomorrow, Friday, if all goes well. Flipping yay! Im excited.

Are my dues owed on the day I finish? My DZ is usually quiet during the week, not really packed with jumpers. On Saturdays and Sundays it proves to be really eventful. Would it be frowned upon to bring beer the following weekend when more people can enjoy a drink or two after a day of jumping?

I think bringing the beer when there's people to enjoy it is the right thing to do. At many DZs there is a beer fridge where the beer fines go; if there is, you can bring beer tomorrow and stock it up. But, to truly keep to the spirit of the beer fines, bring them on a day when there will be a lot of people around, and walk around (after the "beer light" is on, of course) offering beers to experienced jumpers, letting them know who you are and why you're paying your "beer fine." It's a fantastic way to meet people. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hi J-Z,
Beer??? Did you say BEER?? Why Sure! Any old time'z fine!! If'n ya' havn't figgured it out by now, Skydivers are the biggest bunch of Beer Freeloaders in the Universe, on any Planet, Bar None!! Just remember to take a couple of bottles outa' da' case for yourself before the hoard gets to em' or they'll be sucked dry before you can say,"Skydive!!" Just remember, there are no Beer Rules except for the ones you make up as you go along!! I'm not proud or tired, I'll drink any beer from Bud Lite to Becks and everything inbetween and on each side!! As the sayin' goes,"Do your part to save the Earth, It's the only planet with 'BEER!!'"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

And if you live a long way from the dz, you may arrive and realize that you have drank up all your beer dues during the car ride. Don't panic, there are liquor stores everywhere ... Except in those churchy dry counties.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

[reply Would it be frowned upon to bring beer

Ok, I know I've just taken this phrase out of context, but it sort of sticks out by itself. But as a stand-alone question, there is also a stand-alone answer: It is a succinct and resounding, "No."

I would go so far as to say that were it frowned upon to not have the beer ready & waiting upon completion of AFF, I am fairly certain the delay would be overlooked by the eventual presentation of the brewmeister's art.

Dumb question, Beer Rules / Dues.
Very much a western thing. What do you think they do in say Dubai?
Tea Dues?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Why either or? How about both. It's beer for heavens sake.! Your instructors would appriciate a beer while debriefing. And you'll probably get a longer, more detailed debriefing with a case of beer. The next weekend can be the "beer for every body" thing. The campfire and beer make for the best learning enviorment there is. Listen to all the lies, bullshit and jumpstories and then go ask your instructor/mentor about them and he/she will put all the bullshit into context.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

And if you live a long way from the dz, you may arrive and realize that you have drank up all your beer dues during the car ride.

Takes me back to the old days, when we actually did have to pick up beer as we got close to the DZ, because the cooler was already empty from the trip.:S

ShahD

Telling students/newbies to watch videos to learn how to flare under canopy to land, that can get someone hurt, is dumb. Not a question about beer dues out of respect for my instructors and other jumpers that go out of their way to teach me how not to kill myself.

To everyone else who posted, thanks for wit and wisdom.

ShahD

Telling students/newbies to watch videos to learn how to flare under canopy to land, that can get someone hurt, is dumb. Not a question about beer dues out of respect for my instructors and other jumpers that go out of their way to teach me how not to kill myself.

To everyone else who posted, thanks for wit and wisdom.

:D

Tea Dues?

Hi Shah,
What do thay do in Dubai?? No Beer?? No Booz?? WTF?? Scratch that place off my list of DZ's to visit!! It's been a while but back in '76 I worked for Grumman Aero on their F-14IRAN project. At the time there was "Shams" Beer and "Midigedea" (I think that's how ya' spelled it??) Beer in Iran. Not Budweiser but Beer!! In Isfahan where I worked, near the BHI (Bell Heli Int.) Facility there was the "Longbranch" a Tiki Bar with "Cold Beer" run by a BHI American and a local. looked kinda like the old "Bombshelter" at Scare-us-valley. These daze I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to find a beer in those parts!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Tea Dues?

Hookah dues

Not sure how its spelled, but its called 'nargilla' (nar-gee-la)

If you ask them for hooka, they would probably look at you funny, but ask for nargilla, and they'll know ;)

Although, I don't recall many places having them out there, but I spent more time in Lebanon, and I KNOW they have that shit everywhere!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

And even if you're not 21, beer can still be acquired for the DZ. Just don't ask the cop you skydive with to buy it for you (lesson learned :P )

One of the people who has bought beer on my behalf before is actually a cop now, thanks for the reminder. Actually, I did my water training with him and another cop and we were all drinking on the boat...
"Do you really want to take advice from the guy we call Tarmac?"