Steeler

Big canopies/high jump #`s

Is there anyone here that has high jump #`s and still jumps a big fat canopy?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I read all about tiny hp canopies, swooping and all the other fast stuff but
I see myself in the future just enjoying the ride and landing
straight in. Maybe I will think differently when I get a few hundred jumps, but I sure hope not. This sport is dangerous enough, I would like to limit the risk as much as possible.

No such thing as a stupid question in this sport... ask away.

Now, to your question. I don't have "high" jump numbers, so the fact that I'm jumping a big-ol canopy isn't really relevant. But, in the interest of amusing myself on a Saturday afternoon, I can almost predict how the responses here are going to go. ;)

You'll hear from the "just wait" camp, who will assure you that they felt the same way early in their skydiving career, but then, they got a taste of high-performance canopies, and downsized, either slowly or aggressively.

You'll hear from the "old school" camp, who will share how "back in the day" skydivers didn't go in under perfectly good canopies. A lot of those jumpers are still jumping canopies that are plenty big, landing soft, and walking away to jump again another day.

You probably won't hear from the "I wanted to swoop as soon as I finished AFF" crowd because they won't identify with you. ;)

Then there's what I think is probably the vast majority of jumpers, though I don't have numbers to back it up... those who downsize at a slow-to-moderate pace, who may not ever get into high performance landings, but who might, once they master a canopy, want something a little zippier.

It's hard to say what kind of jumper you'll end up being, but you'll up your chances for survival as long as you continue to respect the myriad ways it can kill you or hurt you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I am probably not the best example to answer your question.

For work I use a 265 to 290 foot canopy, but I am on a military Demo team.

I do have 2 fairly large personnal canopies, 170 and 245, that I do still jump from time to time.

Curently my solo rig has a Sabre 135. I do tend to fly very conservative down low (below 500 feet).

Best advise I can give is take your time and be COMFORTABLE in the choices you make, never fall for the advice of you'll "grow" into it. If it doesn't feel right to you, don't do it.

Plus if one or your instructors says slow down, before you ingore them think about it, it may save your life!

Only my opinion from my experiences, and no they aren't high jump numbers either.
Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Although it would seem that a large number of experienced jumpers jump higher loaded canopies, there are still a lot of very experienced jumpers jumping 170s, 190s, etc. Why you ask? Simply speaking that's what they want to jump, they want something they can land safely without too much effort. Some of them jump those canopies due to previous injuries, back problems/surgeries, knee problems, etc, but not all of those jumpers do as such.

I jump a highly loaded canopy, but then again, that's apart of the sport that I really truely enjoy. For me, canopy flight is often the most enjoyable part of the skydive or the sole purpose of the skydive.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I don't think you'll find too many experienced jumpers that are jumping "big" canopies for one reason: once you're loaded below about 1:1 you don't get much penetration into the wind. My backup rig has a PD-210 and I weigh about 180 with gear, and while it will get me back from some LONG spots, if I get myself downwind, I'm in a world of hurt. My 160 doesn't give me near the problem when downwind. On days with more than minor wind, I leave the 210 in the trunk. The 160 is plenty of fun for an old guy like me, and at about 1.2:1 WL it still has some decent capability to get back upwind, so I plan on sticking with that size.

I read a website a while back that had a fairly clear description of the implications of different wingloadings... I believe it covered .8, 1.0, 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6-2.0 separately. I thought it was on PD's site, but I can't seem to locate it. If anybody knows what I'm talking about... this thread could use a link to it.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

2600+ jumps, both rigs have a 245 Sharpchuter in them. I do a few demos each year and they don't have any bad manners that might surprise me at the wrong time. I don't worry about bad spots, if the spot is bad, don't get out of the plane. A Sharpchuter is not for everyone just like a sub-100 sq. ft. pocket rocket is not for everyone. And yes, I have jumped canopies as small as 120 sq. ft. Scared the crap out of me.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

It depends on what you define as a "big fat canopy." Also, what's your definition of high jump numbers?

Mostly I'd say the answer is "yes." Also, you don't need to worry about it. Jump, progress, and jump the canopy you want and are qualified for.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Is there anyone here that has high jump #`s and still jumps a big fat canopy?

I consider myself an intermediate (10,000 jumps seems to be the cutoff for "advanced" these days...), but I have a number of big mains that I jump routinely. I'm have two Raven IVs, just got a ParaFoil 252 set up yesterday (with a 300 sq. ft. reserve), and have a few others around that have me well under a pound per square foot out the door. For reserves, I gravitate to the "nylon overcast" type (the bigger the better).

I do, admittedly, jump a couple of FX99s as well (again, with BIG reserves), but consider 2 psf a bad choice for an only rig - particularly for a fun jumper. Getting maimed is not fun, and your likelihood of doing so increases significantly with wing loading.

Considering that the main purpose of your parachute is to get you to the ground in one piece, and your basic big old parachute will do so reliably, what's the down side?

Blue skies,

I'm just over 700 jumps, which used to be considered a good number years ago, but not anymore. I jump a 210 Pilot canopy. But with an exit weight of 250 lbs., I'm loading at about 1.2. My reserve is a PDR193, which I'm loading at about 1.25. For now, I feel just fine with the 210. When I can do all the cool stuff Bill Von suggests in his "10 Things You Need to Do Before Downsizing" article, I might go to a 190, but that will probably be about it. Or not, because on my budget I'm about as geared up as I'm gonna be for years to come.

I find it interesting that most women jumpers, with the exception of the women who are seriously devoted to swooping, seem to be loading their canopies in the 1.0 to 1.2 range. It's the guys who can't seem to get by with anything less than a 1.5 loading. I think if somebody built a canopy with a "suicide clutch", the guys would all want to run out and buy one....

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I find it interesting that most women jumpers, with the exception of the women who are seriously devoted to swooping, seem to be loading their canopies in the 1.0 to 1.2 range. It's the guys who can't seem to get by with anything less than a 1.5 loading.

True, I do also, but my canopy at 1:1.15 is smaller than most guy's canopy would be at the same WL. My 1:1.15 WL isn't very high for 730 jumps, but a 135 isn't that big, and I wear lead a lot. As do most light people. And I also do birdman a lot.
But I guess most women can indeed live with a lower WL than most guys can :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

A 190 would put you at .89.

Wrong. A 170 lb person is about 190-195 out the door. 190 exit weight on a 190 sq ft main = 1.0:1 wingloading.

My mistake, I read "weight" as "exit weight". :$
I really don't know what I'm talking about.