hawkeye007

When to call it quits?

I'm not current by almost one year. My thoughts about getting back into the sport go to each extreme.

I'm almost 49 years of age and have actually noticed a change in my views of life. Once adventurous, now more cautious.

I downsized just before becoming non-current. Now I am contemplating whether to sell my rig or go through the process of becoming current. One of my concerns is that I haven't actually jumped the canopy I had put in my rig. I jumped a similar one, but that was now almost a year ago.

Should I rent a rig with a larger main to get recurrent?
Should I just bag the whole thing and move on with life?

Has anyone out there been in these shoes?

Thanks [:/]

Should I rent a rig with a larger main to get recurrent?

Even if you hadn't downsized before becoming uncurrent, it wouldn't be a bad idea not to upsize while getting recurrent. With 140 jumps total, even if most of them were on the canopy in your rig, it's still only 100 jumps and it's been a year since you were in the air.

Jump or not jump is a personal decision only you can make. If you do choose to jump, however, it's highly reccomended that you upsize a couple times before your recurrency jump, and then you move back down one size at a time, and progress only after 'proving' yourself on each size.

If all you did was change canopies before becoming uncurrent, you might look for a used canopy that matches the one you replaced. It will fit in your rig, and you can jump it until you're back to where you left off before your layoff. Keep in mind that at the time you downsized in the past, that was the peak of your skills. You should be back to that point before jumping the canopy you were downsizing to.

In truth, if you're 49 and feeling less 'bold', bag the smaller canopy all together. Sell it to fund the purchase of a larger, more conservative canopy, and just enjoy the ride.

I think skydiving is one of those things that you want to do more when you do it. Once you stop, it's easy for the fear to sneak in and forget how great it is. If you genuinely don't want to jump, don't. It may be worth upsizing like the other guys suggested and doing a jump to see how you feel. If you enjoy it then getting a bigger canopy like Dave suggested would be the place to start. If you don't, sell it and move on. :)

One thing your post didn't say was why you haven't jumped for a year - finances, work obligations, family, other interests, lack of interest, ....
Figure out why you haven't been jumping and how, or whether, that factor has changed.
If you resume jumping, go up a couple of canopy sizes for several jumps.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Why I haven't jumped in almost a year?
Good guestion.

I would always find some excuse not to go. I was getting bored with it. I have a lot of other interests that were put on hold because of jumping. I found I needed to jump a lot to better my skills. I'm sort of the obsessive type. :P

And the risks involved with this activity seem to be weighing on my mind. I already had one hard landing that put my out of commission from skydiving and all the other things I love to do.

I vowed that would never happen again. That being said, I could be in a horrible car accident tomorrow or have some horrible decease that would do the same.

I don't want to loose my zest for life!
Will quitting this sport be the first step in that??

I vowed that would never happen again. That being said, I could be in a horrible car accident tomorrow or have some horrible decease that would do the same.

the sport we choose is dangerous. a very good friend of mine, who was an instructor with over 2000 jumps, was killed in a car crash earlier this year. so it appears that driving for him was more dangerous than 2000 skydives. his death made me reevaluate a lot of things, including skydiving.

i wont trade skydiving for anything in the world. for those few minutes of every jump i feel alive, not just living but truly alive.

"I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive at death's door safely"
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Why I haven't jumped in almost a year?
Good guestion.

I would always find some excuse not to go...

And the risks involved with this activity seem to be weighing on my mind. I already had one hard landing that put my out of commission from skydiving and all the other things I love to do.

Of course not! It just means that your interests and priorities may be changing.

I went through a lot of what you are going through right now. I returned to the sport after over 30 years, starting out as first-jump student again. I loved being back in the sport, advanced fairly quickly, and I enjoyed the camaraderie.

After awhile, though, I discovered that I was finding more and more excuses to not jump. After months of wrestling with my feelings and questioning my priorities, I came to the conclusion that as much as I cherish my skydiving memories and appreciate the sport, I'm just not passionate about it like I was at one time.

I finally decided to stop jumping entirely, and I have not regretted that decision. I'm glad that I tried it again. I encourage others to give it a try whenever I can. I miss the exhilaration and fun that I had so long ago, but it just isn't for me anymore.

Best of luck with your decision.

i recently had a 12 month break from the sport due to traveling
When i came back i was nervous and a bit concernd, and I jumped my own gear (Stilletto 135). I did have 1000 jumps at the time but it was still a nervy time.,
I also made a commitment a while back to not quit the sport when i am on the ground, but to make that call in the air.

So go make a jump on hire gear and see how you feel
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Get back on board while you still can. A collegue of mine has not jumped in many years, due to family etc. Only found out the other day that he used to jump. He is close onto retirement, and said that he missed the sport every day of his life. Don't go that route, make the best of it. As for the gear, progress for a couple of jumps, get the feeling, and you yourself will know where you stand.
BS.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Based on your reply to the previous post, I'll advise you to stay as a "retired: skydiver. Have fun with your new interests and get the time you lost due to jumping back by playing in those other playgrounds. The sport will still be here when and if you decide to come back. If you don't come back, be secure in the knowledge that you went out before you HAD to get out.

Good luck.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I would always find some excuse not to go. I was getting bored with it. I have a lot of other interests that were put on hold because of jumping.

This just screams "Walk away" to me. And there is nothing wrong with that.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The hard part of this will be to actually sell the rig.

My partner is a skydiver as well. He wasn't jumped in quite a while either, about 9 months. Every time I mention selling my rig he freaks out.

I don't think it's advisable to keep it around won't it will just lose it's value?

I would always find some excuse not to go. I was getting bored with it. I have a lot of other interests that were put on hold because of jumping. I found I needed to jump a lot to better my skills. I'm sort of the obsessive type. :P

And the risks involved with this activity seem to be weighing on my mind.

As others have said, it looks to me like you've already answered your own question and are just looking for validation. It reads as though you're afraid that 'officially' giving up jumping will make you a lesser person in some way. It won't.

You wouldn't think it to read these forums, but there's a whole world of other adventurous and not-so-adventurous stuff out there that's every bit as 'valid' as skydiving. Choose something that works for you without compromise.

And the risks involved with this activity seem to be weighing on my mind.

As others have said, it looks to me like you've already answered your own question and are just looking for validation. It reads as though you're afraid that 'officially' giving up jumping will make you a lesser person in some way. It won't.

You wouldn't think it to read these forums, but there's a whole world of other adventurous and not-so-adventurous stuff out there that's every bit as 'valid' as skydiving. Choose something that works for you without compromise.

Well and kindly put :) ), that nothing anyone else can do can compete. Let's face it, most people will not continue to jump actively for decades. There is life after the last jump, and it can be every bit as good as jumping. B|

To the OP: don't second guess yourself. Those that might give you a ration are too full of themselves to realize that there is a rich world to experience beyond skydiving. Enjoy your next chapter. Understand that you did something awesome that most won't, and maybe you'll do another something awesome that most won't in the future. B|B|
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Sometimes the people here think that when you have X# of jumps (which usually coincides with the number of jumps the poster has Wink ), that nothing anyone else can do can compete

I find that the more jumps I get... the more I realize that there is life outside of skydiving.

At 100 jumps I thought anyone was crazy for wanting to do anything else.

At 1000 jumps I I could leave the DZ for a really good reason.

Now at 5000 jumps I sometimes have to drag myself to the DZ
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Heh the more time I spend in skydiving sat around watching the sky or travelling to a far DZ in hope of some coached jumps. The more I think maybe I could be doing something else with this wasted time instead...

As mentioned in another post its been nigh on 2 months since my last jump 7 weekends and 4 week days just sat watching the sky....

It gets to the point where I think maybe I should do something else.

If you have to ask yourself that hard you can guess what my answer is. After 27 years I just took a couple of years off, to spend more time with my kids before they start their own life's. I got back in the air recently and never felt better, some apprehension, sure, you'd be a fool to not have some. Fact is, the answer is in your soul and only you can find that...
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

Sometimes the people here think that when you have X# of jumps (which usually coincides with the number of jumps the poster has Wink ), that nothing anyone else can do can compete

I find that the more jumps I get... the more I realize that there is life outside of skydiving.

At 100 jumps I thought anyone was crazy for wanting to do anything else.

At 1000 jumps I I could leave the DZ for a really good reason.

Now at 5000 jumps I sometimes have to drag myself to the DZ

+ 1