JasonMax

Do tandems count?

Yes. Get yourself a logbook (ask at your dropzone - often a logbook is included with your AFF package) and get those jumps logged and signed, then add your AFF and subsequent jumps to the logbook as you go.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yes. Get yourself a logbook (ask at your dropzone - often a logbook is included with your AFF package) and get those jumps logged and signed, then add your AFF and subsequent jumps to the logbook as you go.

Yes they do count. I have jumped over 2 months (due to injury) and was just off AFF. I have been doing tandems lately (done 3) and my instructors told me that they do count, and to log them in my logbook.

thanks for the great answers....I start my AFF on the 21st, have you heard about the iPhone app... "Skydiving Logbook" I have been getting em logged in there, but I need to get the instructors to sign off (they sign off in there with their USPA number).

I just wonder if the app will be seen as legitimate to different DZ's I may visit?

Jason

What happens if you lose your phone? It's a good idea to invest in a regular logbook. They only cost a few bucks and give you a back up to the phone. Plus for me I sit down and go over the jumps I just did as I log them into my book so I know what to work on next time. Blue Skies!
Wait , I pull what first?

The reality is that although there are lots of more modern ways of logging jumps (such as the many varieties of logging altimeters that are out there), the fact remains that for certain things such as applying for USPA licenses & ratings, and for showing up at certain dropzones, a signed paper logbook is required. There's been many a tale of jumpers with thousands of jumps showing up at a certain large Southern California dropzone for the first time with no logbook and being told they couldn't manifest until they produced one.

Same goes for USPA stuff (licenses and ratings). If you expect someone to sign you off for that, you'd better have documented proof.

The question remains, does a smartphone-based logbook count? I'm not sure if anyone's tested the waters with that (for either licenses/ratings, or for visiting another dropzone). There are a lot of dropzones out there that won't even look at your logbook, or won't look at it after you reach a certain license level, but others absolutely require one. Their dropzone, their rules.

As for your licenses, for your A license progression, there is a specific card that needs to be filled out to log that you've met all the skill requirements for the license, so you could probably get away with just using that rather than a paper logbook. However, after you get the A, the logbook becomes where you track everything for subsequent licenses, till you transfer the information over to the license application (but the person signing the license application may want to look at your logbook to validate the information).

So, ultimately it's up to you, I suppose, but know that not having a paper logbook with actual signatures could come back to bite you in the ass depending on what you want to do.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

All the electronic jumps in the world don't have the same sentimental value as just one page in one of my log books.

I love reading past jumps, and now stuff that tandem students fill out about there jump.

Of course this only applies to people that use their Neptune or VISO as their primary log book. What fun is it going through those memories.

"Jumped at 13K, max speed... min speed... deployed at..."

Great memories there!!! :P

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

All the electronic jumps in the world don't have the same sentimental value as just one page in one of my log books.:P

There's that, too. I have all the licenses/ratings I'll probably ever get (though never say never), and I still log. I LOVE looking back at my early log books, and at the logs of the more memorable recent jumps. Heck, I even included a photo of my logbook entry for the Blue Hole jump in my article for Blue Skies Mag on the jump. B|

Understood...but the iPhone app backs up to my dropbox so if I did lose my phone I would just get a new one, download the app and import my data....not a big deal at all.

too bad jumps don't count unless signed off by either the pilot of a licensed jumper who witnessed you enter the plane and land under a parachute. So not sure how you get somebody's electronic signature in your logbook.

Sure, try the larger gear stores that do online sales, ParaGear, Chuting Star, Square 1, etc. But ask at your dropzone - they often sell them as it's an easy thing to keep in stock.

Yes they do count. I have jumped over 2 months (due to injury) and was just off AFF. I have been doing tandems lately (done 3) and my instructors told me that they do count, and to log them in my logbook.

What injury can a TI protect you against that you can not protect yourself from while solo? Whether tandem or solo it still involves the same hazards for existing injuries. I am just confused as to how a TI can keep your injury safe.

Can I buy a log book online? if so where?

Hi Jason

I'm confused.[:/]

I thought you had a app or that :)
What's up? was it the electronic signature thing.

FWIW check out the history and trivia forum for threads on log books.:)

R.
One Jump Wonder

What happens if you lose your phone?

What happens if you lose your logbook?
So if you lose your phone, the same thing happens.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334