mtnairsports

Bentley Promotion

Am I missing something? Is there anything that would make this actually legal? I'm surprised to see such a high profile event like this done in the way it was. But perhaps I'm missing something. This was in the US.

Here is some video...

http://vimeo.com/38326028

I know some of those guys and it would be odd for them to do a jump of this nature without having an appropriate waiver, etc. Although, I've never heard of a waiver for such a jump.

Cheers,
Travis

base rigs.

IIRC USPA okay-ed Pink Bull to do it on 'demos' for a while...the Bull wanted a permanent waiver for their guys only. I don't think that went as planned.

I would imagine a special waiver would be available for a commercial film stunt...whether they had one is another question.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

There wasn't any shots of them exiting the helicopter using base rigs (I would imagine intentionally).

;)
From my understanding the FAA is not going to get involved unless there is an incident. Unless someone goes in it's just a matter of "prove it".

Can anyone reference a case where a pilot lost their license because a non-tso'd rig was jumped?

Registered today just to make the post...free advertising is illegal ...most prolly!

:ph34r:

Well hopefully they weren't planning on trying to sell Bentley's to skydivers!! :ph34r::ph34r:

Yeah the last thing I need is ANOTHER one of THOSE dogs! :S

base rigs.

IIRC USPA okay-ed Pink Bull to do it on 'demos' for a while...the Bull wanted a permanent waiver for their guys only. I don't think that went as planned.

I would imagine a special waiver would be available for a commercial film stunt...whether they had one is another question.

I do not recall USPA granting any waiver to Red Bull to use base rigs on jumps from aircraft and I doubt that it has ever happened.

Mike Mullins
USPA National Director

base rigs.

I do not recall USPA granting any waiver to Red Bull to use base rigs on jumps from aircraft and I doubt that it has ever happened.

Mike Mullins
USPA National Director

Yup, Sorry Mike, I see that it only passed committee,...I'd been told they had waivers for the jumps they did do.

Taken from the board meeting minutes ~

7. Two-thousand-foot deployment limit for demo jumps—the Red Bull team has requested a waiver to deploy at 400 feet on demo jumps using specialized equipment.

Special Instructions from the FAA attached to each approved 7711 authorization require all jumpers to deploy at 2,000 feet or higher.

This was discussed at length. This motion passed Committee 4-3.

Ed Scott presented input from the FAA on these types of jumps. The following motion was presented:

Motion 33: Failed, 4/17/0 (Mr. Spillers)

“Move to waive BSR, 2,000’ opening altitude, for Red Bull team members named below. This waiver applies to jumps where an air show line is in place and TSO rigs will be used.

Opening altitude shall not be lower than 800 feet. To include up to 5 practice jumps at a consenting DZ.
Jumpers include: Charles Bryan, Miles Daisher, and Mike Swanson. Waiver shall expire in 120
days.”

~ I always wondered who the 4 were that voted yes, and what their affiliation with Red Bull is/was?

AFAIK USPA never waivered Red Bull to do any such thing. In fact USPA would be unable to waive the FAR's. Now the Red Bull and other teams (like the crew that did the Transformer movie jumps in downtown Chicago) have done Jumps from Helos with BASE gear, but it's been the TSO'd rig that Jumpshack makes using a chest mount round reserve.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

base rigs.

Mike Mullins
USPA National Director

Yup, Sorry Mike, I see that it only passed committee,...I'd been told they had waivers for the jumps they did do.

Taken from the board meeting minutes ~

7. Two-thousand-foot deployment limit for demo jumps—the Red Bull team has requested a waiver to deploy at 400 feet on demo jumps using specialized equipment.

Special Instructions from the FAA attached to each approved 7711 authorization require all jumpers to deploy at 2,000 feet or higher.

This was discussed at length. This motion passed Committee 4-3.

Ed Scott presented input from the FAA on these types of jumps. The following motion was presented:

Motion 33: Failed, 4/17/0 (Mr. Spillers)

“Move to waive BSR, 2,000’ opening altitude, for Red Bull team members named below. This waiver applies to jumps where an air show line is in place and TSO rigs will be used.

Opening altitude shall not be lower than 800 feet. To include up to 5 practice jumps at a consenting DZ.
Jumpers include: Charles Bryan, Miles Daisher, and Mike Swanson. Waiver shall expire in 120
days.”

~ I always wondered who the 4 were that voted yes, and what their affiliation with Red Bull is/was?

The request from Red Bull was for opening altitude only, not for the use of base rigs, thus my original post. Just wanted to clarify.
Mike Mullins