skyjumpenfool

Where to Jump? Dilemma

Dear Doctor Ruth,

As the DZ’s are opening and the Northern season is about to begin, I’m confronted with a dilemma. Two years ago, a new DZ opened just to the West (45 min.) of me. It’s run by a great DZO and has the making for a really good DZ. My son is working there as a packer.

To the North, another new DZ (55min.) is being run. I’m told it’s a fantastic place to spend some time and I know the DZO’s are wonderful people. This season, a third new DZ is opening to the NE (30min). The DZO’s are good friends and great people. I’m sure their operation will be a great success. Combine that with the other 3 unbelievable DZ’s (all within 90 minutes drive) I already frequent as much as I’m permitted, and you can begin to see my problem.

I now have 7 DZ’s within short driving distance. What a problem to have? But, knowing the economics and politics of the sport, it’s hard to decide where to spend my time.

Signed… DZaplenty B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Ahhh.... so you have a similar problem as I do. But mine is in Florida ;) Oh woe is us. We have such tough decisions to make. So many good dropzones to choose from!

You have two options. The first is to choose one as a "home base" but to visit the others about once a month or so. The second is to just become a homeless DZ hopper. Each weekend a different dropzone. It's a tough job to spread that much love around but somebody has to do it. :D:D:D

It's kind of a nice problem to have huh? I'm going to make it a point to try and visit all of them this season. However, my biggest draw will be wherever the fun jumping is happening. There's also that otter... But I can't wait to check out the newest place to the north.

We thought we'd visit each one each month - but there's more DZs than there is weekends in a month......

So I just go where my camper is located and try to see my friends at comps and special events

I've only missed on safety day so far - great excuse to travel

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You Lucky Bastid... Some people have to drive 2-3hrs each way to get to a Cessna 182 DZ. You've got seven within easy striking distance. If the vibes at all seven are truly "Fantastic" & "Unbelievable"? We may have to hunt you down, & pie you to within an inch of your life on general principle.

Dr. Ruth would tell you to follow your heart, & bring plenty of KY jelly. Sounds like good advice. Good Luck w/that.

Ya Bastid...

it’s hard to decide where to spend my time

Here's what you do - get a list of all the events each DZ has planned, and pick the ones you want to attend. That takes care of some of your weekends.

Next, look at those weekends, and pick a different DZ for the surrounding weekends, so you don't end up at the same place twice. Then do the same thing again and again until you've filled every weekend, and tried your hardest not to go to the same place two weeks in a row.

Here's the fun part - if you run into any politcs with reagrds to where you choose to spend your time and money, and one DZO gives you a hard time about patronizing another DZO, go back to your schedule and remove every future visit to that DZ and schedule another DZ in their place. Anyone who's not happy to see you as often as you choose, shouldn't get to see you at all.

Even if every DZO in the area gives you shit for jumping elsewhere, the process of elimination will provide you with a 'final' DZ, as the last one on the list won't have a chance to complain about jumping elsewhere as you won't be jumping anywhere else by that time anyway.

Sounds like you need to burn a few bridges.:D

When Z hills and SDC wher seperated by a fence we could take off at ine DZ and land at the other one. A certain DZO wasn't happy;)

I wonder if any of those DZ's are close enough and safe to do a cross country from one of those DZ's and land at another one:$

Bad spot or very good one.

No way am I suggesting this. Could get a jumper run over by a plane, eaten by gators, or burn a bridge or two.

Or do all three on one jumpsB|

R.
One Jump Wonder

Here's what you do - get a list of all the events each DZ has planned, and pick the ones you want to attend. That takes care of some of your weekends.

Oh no! Dave, the problem is worse than you know....
I have summers off. That's right, I take my retirement on the installment plan, 12 weeks every summer. June thru August, I'll have to plan for 7 days a week?

How will I survive? ;) I'll just have to take my old ZX11 (see aviator) and ride from DZ to DZ.

B| Life is good!

@ Cocheese.... I like your thinking! :o

Oh no! Dave, the problem is worse than you know....
I have summers off. That's right, I take my retirement on the installment plan, 12 weeks every summer. June thru August, I'll have to plan for 7 days a week?

How will I survive? ;) I'll just have to take my old ZX11 (see aviator) and ride from DZ to DZ.

B| Life is good!

@ Cocheese.... I like your thinking! :o

7 days and 7 dzs. Go to a different dz each day and then change the rotation every week.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Boobies. Go to the dz the has the best boobies. Because 99% of skydiving is done on the ground.B|

*cough*

Oh, hey Mike!

Two very good points!! ;) So, Wissota it is...

See you there Lynn.

Following the Local Skydiving Facebook page is getting very interesting. Each DZ trying to draw in the skydiving dollars. Pics of a shinny Otter just arriving at one, another is posting pics of the Carravan that's "on its way".

Let the "Price Wars" begin!!

First thing to eliminate is to figure out if any of them take Skyride, then weed out the one(s) that do and DO NOT patronize them, then look at the pros and cons of the remaining DZ's and make your choice..
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org