gnstuff4me

I'm a newbie looing for some answer about wind

What are some of those other factors? Maybe there is some threads about them on here?

Dude this is not what you want to hear, but.
STOP WORRYING
Your first jump course instructor(s) will explain all you need to know. IF they don't and you don't get any satisfaction from the DZ, then ask us here.

Worrying about "what ifs" before your jump course will do you no good. and some of the answers here will likely confuse you more than help you.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Do 50 jumps first, then I can tell you.

There is no reason for you to know this.
Trust the DZ, the staff, instructors, pilot and other jumpers to help you.

If we tell you signs what to look for, you will "see" things.
You will get affraid for no reason, not a good start on a first jump

A canopy is a wing. A non-rigid collapse-able descending wing.

Wings and canopies need air moving over them to fly.

You can collapse your canopy with your toggles by distorting the wing. Keeping a canopy inflated is done by flying into the wind. Wings fly better if they fly into the wind.

Stop the wind over your wing or stop the wind from inflating your canopy, and your canopy will collapse. Turbulence can cause this.

Avoid turbulence. Avoid stalls below cutaway level. The perfect aircraft landing is a controlled stall at the last possible moment.B|

Keep reading, learning and asking questions. Some of your questions might seem off to some people in the beginning but just go with it.

I'm not saying its ever too early to be learning stuff but trust that your instructor or instructors will guide you and keep you safe. :|

...Don't Get Elimated!!

To answer your question, turbulence can collapse a canopy, and in terms of canopies, that turbulence is typically the result the wind being disturbed by objects in it's path like trees and buildings. Picture the wind as the flow of water in a stream, and when it hits an object like a rock, the flow is disturbed in the area behind the rock. Just like in a stream, the level of distrubance will vary depending on the size of the object and the speed of the wind. Higher winds and bigger objects will produce more turbulence.

What this means to you, right now? Not much. There are wind speed limitations on student jumpers, and requirements for the size of the landing area with relation to objects. If you find yourself landing off the airport, simply aim for the center of a large open field. That, combined with the lower wind speeds for student jumps, will make a collapse very unlikely.

Now to answer a question you weren't asking, try to avoid this line of thinking or 'research' before taking an first jump course. By doing this, you're creating situations or concerns on your head that shouldn't be there, and may effect your thinking or performance during an actual jump.

Go to the DZ, and let your instructors teach you the info they want you to have, and in the way they want to teach it. Every jump can be made 10 different ways, with 10 different types of rig. Due to this, the student program at each DZ is tailored to the equipment and techniques they use. Looking for generic answers on the internet may be putting the wrong info into your head for the place you will be making your actual jump.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I do understand things about flying I lil better then the average joe cause I come from a family I of pilots, also I understand that this is not a concern for ne at this stage. I was jist trying to gain some knowledge. Thanks again :)

Thanks for all the info everyone. I do understand things about flying I lil better then the average joe cause I come from a family I of pilots, also I understand that this is not a concern for ne at this stage. I was jist trying to gain some knowledge. Thanks again :)

Unfortunately, the people above forgot the most important information you'll need to know for your first jump.....

Smile a lot and have fun!!!!

B| Welcome to the sport.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Can and how much wind would collapse your canopy? I'm doing my AFF course here in about a month and i'm just trying to get knowledgeable about it all. thanks! :)

Your canopy will open in a 120 mph wind.
It will collapse at some speed slightly above zero.

:)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver