alexafox

Fun jumping with a tandem - requirements?

Just a general question about tandems and licensed jumpers.

I'm an A license holder and (for all my fellow Aussies) I'm currently doing my B rels.

One of my friends is going for a tandem jump soon and I'd love to be able to jump out with her and just hang out with her in freefall (there will be a camera guy too).

I know that once I've done my Brels I'm able to jump with other jumpers but I'm wondering whether it's different when it comes to jumping with tandems.

Anyone know anything?

Cheers!
I refuse to accept a mediocre life...

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com

Yes, it's different. Most tandem instructors require that someone jumping with a student be very experienced (e.g. instructor, 500+ jumps, etc). Many also want them to be personally vetted.

There are good reasons -- the instructor cannot afford to have to pay any attention whatsoever to you, so you have to be experineced enough that everyone thinks you're predictable -- not just you.

People have been hurt and/or killed by lurkers on tandem jumps before.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

As a videographer I really don't like it when people try to chase a tandem unless they have impeccable skills and the tandem passenger personally knows them and wants them on the dive.

My job is to capture the moment with the best video and stills I can for someone who will likely never make another jump.

If someone goes along who is not up to the task they are simply a major distraction for me.

I now have to keep an eye out for them to make certain they don't hit me or come up under me which has happened. When I film I don't look at anything other than the tandem unless something is in my field of vision and then I'm not focused on my framing, angles and lighting so it does affect the job I do.

And then of course if they don't have the skills to dock then they usually suck at tracking and end up opening very close to me.

If you really are their friend then let them have their moment. Go in the plane, have fun with them on the climb, let them see you jump first, geek the camera as you leave and be in the landing area when they land.

It makes for much better video and is safer for everyone.

Remember the video and stills are about them and their skydive. Don't ruin it for them and the other friends and family who are looking forward to seeing them in freefall.

Just MHO.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

That's what I assumed. :)

My original plan was to just get on the load with her and geek the camera when I jump out, but I thought just in case it was doable I'd ask the question.

I'm 99.9% certain she'll be doing AFF after this so there will be plenty of time for us to jump together! :)

Thanks for reinforcing my original thoughts.

Blue skies,

Lex

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com

Hi Alexa, as another Aussie, it would be very unlikely that you will be allowed to jump with a tamdem and camera flyer. with only a "B".

you need the permission of the CI, TM, and camera guy and you need a decent level of skill.

You might be a great flyer and they may say yes, but i would not put a great deal of hope in it.
Might have to suffice to be on the same load and exit before them.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hi Squeak,

Yea that's what I was thinking... I guessed that tandems weren't included in the 'other people' part of the B license 'you are now licensed to fly with other people' conditions :P Haha

I think If there was no camera guy then I'd be more inclined to ask if I can get out with her... I'll keep it simple; do a gainer and just give her a big ass wave from the door! :P

P.S. She has no idea she's going skydiving... and she won't know until we rock up there! :)

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com

I just went over this to earn my Sigma rating.
Basically, you need a minimum of 500 jumps, including 100
RW jumps within the last year, a C or C Certificate, a briefing and permission from the Tandem Instructor. Some DZs will also insist on an AFF Instructor rating and approval from the DZO along with the S&TA.

In short: NO!

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner
Racer Tandem Instructor
Vactor Tandem Instructor

Normally I don't like lurkers. If I have video, I hate lurkers. The reason is simple, too often the lurker turns the other persons skydiving into THEIR skydive. I have seen lurkers fly between the tandem and the camera and geek the camera, I have seen lurkers start trying to show off how fast they can turn a 360*.

Tandem skydives should be about the PAX no one else.

But, if you are going to jump with me as TM.... You will be personally vetted by me. I will personally know your skills and will know your ego. Jump numbers does not really matter to me, I had two hotshots almost kill me on a tandem with their friend... Both very experienced jumpers but a solid min of thinking these idiots were going to kill me. I would have pulled to get away, but one was always above us.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Hundreds of camera jumps and a camera suit helps too. By the time you are this good, sometimes it's really fun to go with a tandem that is not getting video. The tandem masters are so bored they would love to have you...and the student might come back for more if you help make it an awesome dive.B|

Just go on the same load and meet on the ground. After the TI has time to debrief the jump continue the up selling of the student progression. Everyone stays safe and you'll still have the "remember the time we jumped together" story regardless.

If you really are their friend then let them have their moment. Go in the plane, have fun with them on the climb, let them see you jump first, geek the camera as you leave and be in the landing area when they land.

I have never looked at it from that perspective, you are 100% right.

Vactor Tandem Instructor

How do I get a Vactor rating to go with the Vector rating??

I want it too!!:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I have never looked at it from that perspective, you are 100% right.

I know you wouldn't have meant this as a personal reflection on me but I just to be reeeeally clear about what my intentions were for this jump:

I know how much she's going to love it so I wanted to be there to see her face and to watch her enjoy it!

It's not at all about me... I'd be happy to be flying 20 metres away from her but just to see the joy on her face! :) She's my bestie and I"m surprising her with the jump for her birthday :) I also live over 1000kms away from her and she has no idea I'm even going to be in town... being able to jump with her would have just been the the cherry on top for both of us!

If I had more jumps and there was no camera guy it would be perfect but I know she'll be doing her AFF after this so there'll be plenty of opportunity for us to jump together. :)

Thanks everyone for your point of view. I'm definitely not one to try and out jump my ability and I think it's really awesome that the experienced people in this sport are happy to give advice and guide a newbie!

Thanks everyone! :)

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com

Hey just as an FYI I found this on the APF website :)

13.2.11 RW involving Tandem Master

A parachutist must not engage in Relative Work with a Tandem Master carrying a tandem parachutist unless:

(a) The parachutist is the holder of at least a Certificate ‘C’; and

(b) The parachutist has the authorisation of the DZSO; and

(c) The parachutist has the authorisation of the Tandem Master; and

(d) The Tandem Master has made at least fifty (50) documented descents as a Tandem Master since gaining his or her tandem endorsement

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com

The tandem masters are so bored they would love to have you...

Vskydiver has swooped dozens and dozens of my tandems just for grins. She's very damn good at it and has never worried me a second. More than once she's gone with TI's that have never been swooped before. They loved it. B|

Funny thing, we were down in Utah skydiving once when someone we knew from Seattle showed up to make her tandem. Valinda told her I'd swoop and she'd video the jump. The DZO is an old friend of ours and said "Sure, go tell the TI." Vskydiver went over and said "My husband is gonna swoop your tandem and I'm going to video." :D:D
He was pretty shocked by that until I went over and told him our experience level and got briefed on what he wanted. :D

The jump went great. We flew exactly as briefed, slow approach, soft docks, nice breakoff and video. Funny thing, under canopy, the TI had so much fun he told our friend "Wow, they fly better than I do!"

That scared her a bit. She thought "Oh no, did I jump with the wrong person?":D:D

When I heard that after the jump, I told her what he had meant.

The DZO at one DZ I'm at actually created an upgrade for a tandem jump, beyond just getting video, where two well experienced jumpers also come in and fly with the tandem. A weird but interesting concept, and the occasional tandem student goes for it and thinks it's pretty cool to be flying with a few others in the sky.

The DZO did it for a big celebrity once, and put it 'on the menu' after that. To keep the price from being too high, for the experienced jumpers it's just a free jump. (If they're doing other working jumps they may not be enthusiastic, but if they have time, they'll go for it.)