DcloudZ

Jumping while sick?

Alright guys so I just got back from vacation and I brought back a little sinus cold which is getting better pretty fast. It's been almost a week and a half that I haven't jumped so my withdrawal symptoms are peaking! :S The sky is so blue today!:$ So I was wondering if it is alright that I jump with this cold. (note that I can breathe freely out of my nose).

Thanks in advance for the advice guys :)
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

In a cost-benefit analysis with skydiving, hearing takes second place:P besides, I just got my hearing back in my left ear from the plane ride two days ago:D

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

Having jumped congested a couple of times let me tell you that I would never wish that upon my worst enemies. The first time it was just a terrible pain upon tracking away, but the second time it then came back a few hours later and genuinely tempted me to try out a drill bit on my nose.

If you have any hint of congestion at all I'd recommend loading yourself up on Sudafed and Afrin spray before jumping, and come back another day if those don't clear your head. I keep both in my gear bag.

Don't bring your illness to the dz. Sick instructors can't make a living.

SIUCC.

SIUCC

Skydiving term for those who are complaining about cuts, bruises, or pretty much anything. It stands for "Suck It Up, Cupcake"

"I flared to high and when I landed, I jammed my toe!"
"Dang, it's cold at altitude!"
"It's taking to long to get on a load"

"SIUCC!" ;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Lol thanks for explaining that sparky, wasn't sure what it meant :)

And thanks to everyone else for the opinions, I think I'll wait it out a couple of days... I'm just really excited to finish up my A courseB|

Echo what everyone has said against jumping with a cold. Don't do it. I did once... back on the ground I had people asking me what the fuck happened. They thought I'd gotten smacked in the nose during the jump. Had blood running up my face from my nose. B|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Lol thanks for explaining that sparky, wasn't sure what it meant :)

And thanks to everyone else for the opinions, I think I'll wait it out a couple of days... I'm just really excited to finish up my A courseB|

That's why I looked up.......I didn't know either. ;)

Sparky

What she (and everyone else) said: don't do it.

I've seen:

- Ruptured eardrum (x a few now)
- Inner ear problems so bad the guy couldn't stand for 24 hours
- Temporary deafness
- and, for one entire week of a memorable training camp, a teammate's nose start bleeding every time she went through 9000ft.

All of those people could breathe through their noses on the ground B|

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I did a sinus rinse and headed to the DZ last night to hang out and I ended up doing a hop'n'pop and everything went fine! No sinus pressure at all during the ascent or the freefall, could hardly notice I had been sick at all. Going to take a chance and go finish up my A training tonight!B|

I did a sinus rinse and headed to the DZ last night to hang out and I ended up doing a hop'n'pop and everything went fine! No sinus pressure at all during the ascent or the freefall, could hardly notice I had been sick at all. Going to take a chance and go finish up my A training tonight!B|

How high did you go? If you were in freefall you did not do a hop'n'pop.

Sparky

Not sure that you understand the concept of freefall lol, what you're thinking of is terminal velocity. Regardless, I just did a 13,500 and other than a little pressure, everything was fine!

Not sure that you understand the concept of freefall lol, what you're thinking of is terminal velocity. Regardless, I just did a 13,500 and other than a little pressure, everything was fine!

I'm pretty sure mjosparky understands what freefall is and is not. ;)

What do YOU consider a hop n pop? Pull as soon as you are clear of the plane, 5 sec, 10 sec, as long as it takes to get stable? Only the first option is a hop n pop, which isn't ff, except in the strictest sense that you are not using a static line or equivalent.

BTW, I'm glad you aren't bleeding from your nose or ears. :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

What do YOU consider a hop n pop? Pull as soon as you are clear of the plane, 5 sec, 10 sec, as long as it takes to get stable? Only the first option is a hop n pop, which isn't ff, except in the strictest sense that you are not using a static line or equivalent.

I jumped from 5 and pulled at 4, and I'm glad as well! I was ready to suffer the consequences either way:)

I jumped from 5 and pulled at 4, and I'm glad as well! I was ready to suffer the consequences either way:)

So you were willing to accept the possiblility of serious, permanent injuries, the possibility of these injuries preventing you from ever jumping again?

For one jump?

Somehow I think that either you didn't understand the possible consequences or (more likely) didn't believe that they could happen to you.

Be careful with that mindset. It's pretty dangerous.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo