steve1

Not Current?

I haven't jumped in three, maybe four years. I need to get my log books out to check. If I showed up at a place like Perris, what would I have to do? I have about 850 jumps. I imagine I'd have to make a jump or two by myself. Please tell me, that I wouldn't have to make some kind of AFF jump. I also don't currently have an AAD on my rig. Thanks for the advice!

I'm actually in the same boat as you; have about 600 jumps and will be coming back to skydiving after a 3 year layoff. From what I've read, sounds like most places will just have you do a coach jump and maybe even have you sit through FJC. Guess I'll find out in January, but I'll also have 4-5 hours of tunnel time by then (started racking up the tunnel time a couple months ago) ;-)

The SIM says that you need to do recurrency under the supervision on an instructor. There is a thread in one of the forums where a D license holder doing recurrency, brain locked and was saved by his aad.

In all seriousness what is the harm in sitting in on a fjc and then doing a 2 way with an AFF instructor?
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

An IAD or S/L FJC would be pretty useless; but an AFF course would be a little more useful. Still, the information presented might all be a little over simplified at the AFF #1 stage.

It seems to me that it would be more useful to pay an instructor for an extended DZ orientation, & emergency procedures review, etc, before a coach jump demonstrating skills from briefing to landing.

It seems to me that it would be more useful to pay an instructor for an extended DZ orientation, & emergency procedures review, etc, before a coach jump demonstrating skills from briefing to landing.

Nope...THIS ^^^^
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I imagine I'd have to make a jump or two by myself. Please tell me, that I wouldn't have to make some kind of AFF jump.

Quick story from this past season, a local jumper returned to the sky from a 5 or 6 year layoff. This guy was a highly experienced jumper (into the 1000's of jumps), AFF I, and gold medal 4-way competitor who worked and jumped at the same DZ where he got 'current'.

When he showed up and said he wanted to jump, he didn't say, 'How about I just do this or that?', he said to me, 'Tell me what you want me to do, should we do a refresher, hanging harness, do you want me to take the test from the FJC, just name it'.

The point is that this guy who was by all means a 'top' jumper, at his home DZ dealing with people he jumped with for years was willing and open to do whatever we deemed appropriate, and wasn't trying to 'get away with' the least amount of effort possible.

The conclusion to the story was we did a 3 way 'currency' jump with another AFF I. We launched a 3-way round, and the 'new guy' dropped his grips about 1 second out of the door and bolted to the second point up on the hill with a perfect center-point turn. Granted, he turned the wrong way and set up for the 3rd point, but that's another story.

850 jumps is a nice total, but it's not 8500. Go to the DZ, and let them figure out what it takes to get you safely back in the sky, and invest the hour or two and coach jump that they're going to want from you. If you feel like you're 'too good' for that, just quit while you're ahead, because you're not.

Normally with a guy who has 800 jumps we would just have you pull a few handles and ask you a few questions. But considering you have no idea and went on the internet to ask what to do, I probably would send you up for a tandem.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that I was jumping out of airplanes before you were born, "Sonny". You're not going to send me anywhere.....

Oh. I stand corrected. In that case,
if you're older than me, you would be welcome
To do whatever you want. No re-currency or gear checks
Needed. Good luck pops! BSBD

re-currency and gear checks are a long way from the tandem you suggested earlier sonny :S
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I appreciate the advice on this.

It seems like the DZ you go to makes a big difference on currentcy.

About 14 years ago, I hadn't jumped in twenty years. I went to a drop zone owned by an old friend. The safety officer was an old friend too. I had never jumped a square before. I had about 300 jumps from back in the day. Most all of those jumps were on para-commanders.

After a crash course, which took about an hour, I went up and fell base for a five way. Everything went perfect. I'm not saying that would work for everyone, but that was my start back into the sport. I was confident in my own ability and so were my old friends.

One thing I learned from all that, is that you never forget how to fall stable. I think that some DZ's don't want to take chances so they are over cautious with anyone who is rusty.

I don't get a chance to talk to many jumpers. In Eastern Montana jumpers are pretty scarce. This inter-net is a good thing. I did talk with another skydiver this past weekend. He too suggested using a pen to document a couple recent jumps. It would beat having to pay someone to hang onto you, for an extra $150 bucks.

I'm not saying I'll do that. It might be a good idea though....

1. USPA publishes a brief document intended to refresh jumpers' knowledge after the winter season during Safety Day. It makes a nice review for re-currency at other times too:

http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/Downloads/Safety_Day_Check_List.pdf

2. While YOU may not have changed a bit in the last few years, your DZ may have. I can think of several important safety policies which have changed at my DZ in the last few years. I suspect that is common. Getting a briefing on that would help keep both you and others safe.

3. At the very least, expect to pull some handles in the training harness. When I am conducting re-currency briefings, I do this FIRST. I use the jumper's performance in the training harness as an indicator of how much review they may need in other areas.

4. I agree that being known is an important variable. I have learned my lesson the hard way: I will always do a gripped exit with unknown jumpers doing re-currency. If the exit goes well, I can drop the grips promptly; if the exit goes badly, I have the grips already.

5. For most returning jumpers it makes sense to rent bigger canopies for the first couple of jumps.

Welcome back... Blue Skies!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I appreciate the advice on this.

It seems like the DZ you go to makes a big difference on currency.

About 14 years ago, I hadn't jumped in twenty years. I went to a drop zone owned by an old friend. The safety officer was an old friend too. I had never jumped a square before. I had about 300 jumps from back in the day. Most all of those jumps were on para-commanders.

After a crash course, which took about an hour, I went up and fell base for a five way. Everything went perfect. I'm not saying that would work for everyone, but that was my start back into the sport. I was confident in my own ability and so were my old friends.

One thing I learned from all that, is that you never forget how to fall stable. I think that some DZ's don't want to take chances so they are over cautious with anyone who is rusty.

I don't get a chance to talk to many jumpers. In Eastern Montana jumpers are pretty scarce. This inter-net is a good thing. I did talk with another skydiver this past weekend. He too suggested using a pen to document a couple recent jumps. It would beat having to pay someone to hang onto you, for an extra $150 bucks.

I'm not saying I'll do that. It might be a good idea though....

I see both sides of this Steve~

From the old guy point of view, lets be real it's not rocket science...Starting on gut gear with 2shots gets ya extra credit in my book.

That being said it's a different environment these days, the 'skydive' is relatively the same but the dropzone dynamics are WAY different that even 5 years ago.

In all honesty though I have little doubt YOU could exit and open without any problems, you'll probably be better off to 'play the game' regarding the dropzone requirements.

Your choice of locations to get back in will dictate the monetary investment...remember, at some select places it's still a sport, at others it's a business...and at even other locations it's a freakin' industry!

Good luck, hope to share some air with you one of these days! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Since you asked about Perris I will chime in here. I just got current after a 6 year lay off and not nearly your jump number. I also did it at Perris...

It was about as simple as it gets. Scheduled a currency jump with the school. They put me with an instructor and we went through the basics, looked at the FJC pictures of assorted malfunctions. Talked about procedures and patterns. Did some drills in the hanging harness and demonstrated a PLF. All of which took about an hour and a half.

On the jump we floated the exit and launched with her in the right side instructor slot. We weren't even down the hill she let go. Dive flow was a practice pull and the chase her around the sky. Wave off and pull @ 4500...

In essence it was a really easier than I thought it would be... And Kudos to the folks at Perris... The run an awesome operation...

My .02
"I once met three guys named pain, suffering and sacrafice. Now were inseperable, were best friends."

-Lance Armstrong

I've jumped at Perris several times over the years. I was truly impressed with what I saw there. Last time I was there Dan Brodsky was running things. We even had some free coached jumps over X-mas. I can't think of anywhere I'd rather jump. Lot's of friendly people from all over the world.

Oh. I stand corrected. In that case,
if you're older than me, you would be welcome
To do whatever you want. No re-currency or gear checks
Needed. Good luck pops! BSBD

re-currency and gear checks are a long way from the tandem you suggested earlier sonny :S
I think it was largely "tongue in cheek",
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Mark,
I was wondering how much it costs for a recurrency jump with someone, at Perris. I'm a cheap-skate at heart.

It's just hard to go from doing twenty and thirty ways a few years back, to being treated like a greenhorn all over again.

About 15 years ago, I showed up at Skydive Oregon. They weren't going to let me jump because I didn't have a license then. I tried to explain that in the old days you didn't need a license. You could jump about anywhere if you had some log books. I did have a riggers license, but that wasn't good enough.

They couldn't reach my old dropzone, where I had made some jumps the week before.

Finally the manager, named Blake, took pity on me, and offered to jump with me if I bought his jump. I don't imagine that most places would be that cheap, easy, or understanding. After that jump I was free to get on any load I wanted on their DZ.....

It's just hard to go from doing twenty and thirty ways a few years back, to being treated like a greenhorn all over again.

Don't look at it that way Steve, it not a basic FJC...it's a more of a roadside 'sobriety' test. :ph34r:

Without the 'required' logbook in your possession you are simply proving you possess the necessary skill set to use the facility.

I have to do that sometimes as well in a sense as I almost never travel with a logbook.
~at some places they 'know' me and ask a few questions.
~at other places they call my home DZ and ask manifest to punch me up on the 'puter to verify. (I have the dz on speed-dial)

My better 1/2 has 30,000 hours of PIC logged & also doesn't carry a logbook when we travel. Current medical, licenses & ratings not withstanding she's had to pay for .5hr and take a CFI for a quick turn prior to renting a plane - (using the facility so to speak)

It's not personal it business...and in most cases if you can walk the walk as well as talk the talk the whole process is relatively cheap & painless.

If on the other hand ya put helmet on backwards and the rig on upside-down...may cost ya bit more in time & money if ya get my drift. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~