Divalent

Watching a Hop-n-Pop leave: what not to do

http://youtu.be/e1YXV0Ve9Nc

Did ya see it? (Yes, something unusual. Look again.]

If you give up, check the comments.

:D:D:D Dumbass!

Hey, been there done that, but it wasn't a helmet/cam, it was my $200 prescription glasses that weren't secured. I was doing CRW and had forgotten to change to my skydiving glasses. One look out the door to check the spot and they just flew off. All I could do was go "FUCK!" and jump. :D

I love it when one says that.
Like me when I saw my friend chop(got the footage, hehe), and I did the packjob.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

You're a smart woman...time to re-think that one. ;)

I wear my helmet screwed on tight from the time I approach the aircraft until well into the climb...at which time I only take it off to check the cameras or clean my eyewear. If I'm not wearing a camera helmet I don't take it off period.

Anyone that's ever had their melon smacked knows it can be very debilitating...ask any of Mike Tyson's opponents.

IF something should happen emergency wise, there is a strong likelihood people or objects may be ricocheting around inside the cabin...catch one of those in the 'off switch' and the rest of your gear isn't a lotta good if you have to exit.

I speak from experience...I've been inside that metal tube when things start to get sporty, you really want to have the hard-drive working at full speed!

Fair enough - I can appreciate your points and will give them some thought and weigh them against my primary reason for taking off the helmet, which is that I have found that I will significantly increase the likelihood of fogging on my full-face if I wear it all the way to altitude, even with the visor up, especially in colder weather. So it's not a "wah wah it's too hot" reason, it's a "I'd really like this visor to be fog-free when I'm in freefall" reason.

wah wah i can't see! :ph34r:;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Serious point to this is perhaps that the pilot in command is responsible for anything dropped from the plane - lets hope it hit a field and not a kid or something.

Responding to a couple of comments:

Yes, he did jump sans helmet and goggles without incident in a 6 way from altitude. As mentioned above, the helmet landed right in the middle of the LZ, but was damaged beyond repair.

Fortunately it was an Otter, so it didn't hit the tail (AFAIK; no one heard or felt anything). I wonder what it might have done had it been a plane with a lower tail (either from the force of impact, or if, say, a strap got hooked on something back there).

My routine is to be strapped in from takeoff till the seat belt sign goes off, anytime I'm near an open door, and then finally once we get the two minute warning. Other than that, comfort determines whether it's on or not. (But if it is on my head, it is buckled. I jumped once with a tight-fitting unbuckled protec and spent the first 15 sec of the dive holding my helmet in place and buckling it in.)

And if you're on a skyvan without the lexan flap that covers the gap between the floor and door, make sure your helmet is secured if it's not on your head during the ride to altitude.

I let a protec helmet just roll out after I turned to talk to my buddy sitting on the floor behind me. It had been held against the wall with my left leg. :$

Other guy next to me tells me "your helmet rolled out the door!" Me "what?" Him "I SAID YOUR HELMET ROLLED OUT THE DOOR!" Me (looks over to find helmet gone) "FUCK!!!"

:D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

On a demo into Indiana University on 4th of July, smack over the top of of downtown Bloomington Indiana, I was in back looking out the window, remember seeing the movie theater down below, I mean right over the top of main St USA.... Homie pops the door to spot with out chin strap fastened... I saw it go past the side window as I was looking at the main drag below... Always wondered what the hell it hit down there.... brand new mellon cap too... LOL
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I thought that was a girl. My eyes must be getting bad.

I hate to say it, but I thought so, too. :$ Even after someone said "he" I watched it a couple more times, and, still he looked like a girl! :D

But on a more serious note, I never understood the lousy-goosy attitude about loose gear. If you get on the airplane, be ready to jump--all straps tightened, and helmets firmly attached to your head.

If you planned on having your shoes on during the jump, would you board the plane with them in your hand or untied? :S
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

On a demo into Indiana University on 4th of July, smack over the top of of downtown Bloomington Indiana, I was in back looking out the window, remember seeing the movie theater down below, I mean right over the top of main St USA.... Homie pops the door to spot with out chin strap fastened... I saw it go past the side window as I was looking at the main drag below... Always wondered what the hell it hit down there.... brand new mellon cap too... LOL

Air show demo...one guy has his Oaks blow off on exit, spectator walks up and hands them over when we land.

Not a scratch on 'em, they were floating down like a maple tree seed and he snagged them before they hit the ground! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I lost a helmet on one of my coach jumps. Hell of it is, I'd checked the straps several times and my coach had checked them at least twice. Got out of a plane, started my track and off it went.

It came back to me several months later -- I'd put a sticker on the inside with my name on it and a lady found it in her back yard one day, googled my name and sent me an E-Mail. Fortunately no damage was done to their property and the helmet still seems usable but I'm not sure I trust it anymore. When I checked the straps I couldn't find any tightness that would allow it to fasten that wouldn't prevent it from leaving my head. I checked it a couple months later and didn't have the same problem. Weird.

I'm a lot more paranoid about my current helmet and leave it on and fastened if we have hop and pops. I'll usually take it off for at least some of the ride in the summer, though.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Funny thing is, at the time, I was using contact lens, and had just bought a brand new pair of goggles, can't remember the brand but it was a nice pair, from the sunshine factory store at the DZ. The load I lost the goggles on, which were strapped onto the helmet, was supposed to be my first jump using them. Like I said before....FUCK! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban