diverds

Skydive Radio #184 with Dave Star is now available. Enjoy.

Rocket is here! Flight Camp was a great event. Safety Day. You might be a newbie if…CReW. What is Dave’s problem with Frap Hats? Safety First with Brian Germain discusses barrel rolls on breakoff. Pic of the Week - Skydive Radio’s newest family member, Audra Louise Rocket Schwartz begins her skydiving life as a packing weight. Photo by Dave Schwartz. Feature interview with Dave Starr on springtime gear maintenance. Listener email, voicemail and a shoutout.

Link to download or stream here

Skydive Radio

As a new person to this sport I found the last episode was very informational and funny! I like how they let loose and are very down to earth! Hah, even with feeding the baby on the air! :) I'll be downloading more episodes. Thanks for the heads up!

As a newbie I was excited to podcast Skydive Radio.

Shame its full of F**** and S**** - The first podcast I heard had 4 F bombs and the latest had a string os S*** and then I turned off

Can only play in with my headphones on so the kids dont hear it....

Sort it out guys ....

:)
Congrats on the baby !

Like skydiving, I'd say that skydive radio is not for everyone. Personally, I really enjoy their brand of banter, swear words and all.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You might be a newbie if ... you don't understand the jokes about the newbies. What's with the CReW dog toggles hanging out thing? I don't get it. This isn't the first time that the newbie joke has gone way over my head.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

I like it too ... But for non jumpers who listen in then (like people's significant others) the swearing doesn't help.. ..
--- bit like being on a load and the experienced jumpers are dropping the F bomb in front of the tandem students.

If this is the voice of the sport then perhaps we need to
Think what people from outside the sport would think
When listening in ...

Just my 10 c or 10 pence as I am a Brit :)

:P

If this is the voice of the sport then perhaps we need to Think what people from outside the sport would think

SR is a well-connected and well-informed voice, but it is only one of many within the sport. Listen and learn, but don't get offended by someone's casual language. It does not diminish their knowledge or the value of the information they are sharing.

There are so many similar forms of media outreach for other sports, do you really think that there are a lot of non-jumpers listening in to SR? It is educational, fun and interesting to us, but non-jumpers might find it hard to understand or follow.

There are so many more non-jumpers who will find back issues of Parachutist, Blue Skies and even old copies of Skydiving magazine, you should probably be more concerned about how they react to seeing a naked woman in a bathtub full of hotdogs.

And don't forget about all the pictures of drunken tom-foolery from boogies or other 'skydiving activities' that show up on FB. People have been doing far more damage to the sport pounding in during demos or causing property damage during drunken, drug-fueled parties, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over a few bad words.

RIP George Carlin

A great episode, glad you guys are back and was good to hear the stories about Rocket.

As for the swearing - I think the level of language is the same as the rest of the sport and it make's it part of the show what it is.

It's not the first time we've heard complaints about the language on SDR and I understand that it may not be ideal for all people or situations. That said, we have intentionally tried from the beginning to create a feel for the show like sitting around the bonfire with a few beers after a day of jumping. I think we've been successful in doing that and I believe the plain language we speak in is a part of it.

-Dave

Skydive Radio

Why should any of us give a shit what tandem students think about our language?

Honest question. They came to us, it's their job to fit in.

It used to be, becoming a skydiver was like joining a motorcycle gang. If you could fit in and hang with the crowd, you made a great bunch of friends and a place where you could relax and let your hair down. Since when did the DZ turn into Fucking Disneyworld?

Why should any of us give a shit what tandem students think about our language?

Honest question. They came to us, it's their job to fit in.

It used to be, becoming a skydiver was like joining a motorcycle gang. If you could fit in and hang with the crowd, you made a great bunch of friends and a place where you could relax and let your hair down. Since when did the DZ turn into Fucking Disneyworld?

Since the revenue from tandems enabled many DZs to survive?

If you want to be part of something exclusive, go join the SEALs.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

It's not the first time we've heard complaints about the language on SDR and I understand that it may not be ideal for all people or situations. That said, we have intentionally tried from the beginning to create a feel for the show like sitting around the bonfire with a few beers after a day of jumping. I think we've been successful in doing that and I believe the plain language we speak in is a part of it.

-Dave

When I am in the car with my kids I just fast forward to the interviews! 95% of the interviews are cuss word friendly and my kids love listening to the stories even though they are babies. My wife is learning a ton from listening to the interviews and I can't believe how much she does already know given she has never jumped and I didn't decided to get back into the sport until last summer. Can't wait to start my AFF all over again this season and hopefully I will be caught up! Currently on 119 and pushing to get to 184 by May!! Keep doing what you are doing! SKYDIVE RADIO IS AWESOME!!! SWEARS AND ALL!
Sincerely, Daniel (not as fat as he thinks he is) Adams
http://www.skyjump.com
http://www.vimeo.com/dandaninc
http://www.youtube.com/dandaninc