cficeman

Recording your skydive

I understand the USPA's recommendations for adding a camera to your gear and the dangers that present to it. What about those small cameras that are embedded into sunglasses though? I'm trying to think of a reason why this may also pose a risk, but I cannot think of one. I have attached a link of an example. There are no wires..nothing different that simply wearing a pair of sunglasses (obviously with a full-face) which is perfectly allowed. Just curious to see what the haters are going to say about this one :P

[http://www.recordergear.com/video-recorders/ivue-black-sport-camera-glasses-720p/?gclid=CNSb0KvA_7YCFY9FMgodFkcAeg]

I understand the USPA's recommendations for adding a camera to your gear and the dangers that present to it. What about those small cameras that are embedded into sunglasses though? I'm trying to think of a reason why this may also pose a risk, but I cannot think of one. I have attached a link of an example. There are no wires..nothing different that simply wearing a pair of sunglasses (obviously with a full-face) which is perfectly allowed. Just curious to see what the haters are going to say about this one :P

[http://www.recordergear.com/video-recorders/ivue-black-sport-camera-glasses-720p/?gclid=CNSb0KvA_7YCFY9FMgodFkcAeg]

No different than the PivotHead glasses (which do not work for skydiving, and neither do these).
It's disheartening to see the "I need video for everything" generation willing to risk the safety of others for their own selfish purposes. It makes one wonder what other shortcuts they're willing to take without others being aware.

I'm trying to think of a reason why this may also pose a risk, but I cannot think of one.

I'm sure several people that downsized too soon couldn't really see the flaw in their decisions until it was too late to recognize their error.

A couple people have made reference to some problems, but let me be more specific in case you didn't pick up on it.

There are (at least) two types of problems associated with cameras.

The first, which you have identified, is snag-type risk. You are correct that a camera integrated into goggles or sunglasses eliminates this type of risk. But you're only half-way there.

The other type of problem is the fact that you know you're wearing a camera. This can mean all sorts of things, like that you will be distracted on the ground/in the plane and forget to do a gear check/misroute a strap/click the buckle on your helmet/turn on your audible/all sorts of things. It can also mean all sorts of things in the air, like you focusing too much on getting your shot and not enough on making a safe skydive. There are many, many videos you can find of this -- I remember one specifically where the camera man films his buddy deploying, then rolls onto his stomach and realizes he's ~1000 ft or less off the ground.

The 200 jump recommendation is not only so that you're familiar enough with your gear and EPs that you can deal with any possible hazard, but also so that you're comfortable enough for regular old skydiving that trying to get your shot doesn't make you neglect basic safety issues.

Nice reply Evan..I agree and understand. Distraction in this sport can be very dangerous. Also, I wasn't implying that I am "willing to risk the safety of others..." I asked this question because I didn't see any risk to begin with. I consider myself a very conservative jumper (and I didn't mention anything about downsizing), but I can admit that wearing my Contour while snowboarding, mountain biking..etc has pushed me a bit to be a little more extreme ;) Maybe the same would go with skydiving..maybe not.. who knows. but I guess assuming the worst and implementing these recommendations is the only way to minimize the risk.

I'll speak a little as a guy who maybe put a camera on about 50ish jumps to early. (and who probably didn't seek out enough advice.)

No matter how conservative you say you will be, you WILL think differently when you have a camera on your head. period. end of story. no ifs ands of butts. You may not take more risks like pulling lower or doing more crazy stunts but your focus WILL be elsewhere then it should be. There is not getting around that fact.
I am fucking your mom right now

It is a distraction and it could and will take your attention from a gear check that is more valuable. That should also mean you don't jump with a GPS and you don't jump with a iPod...no gadgets or additions that are a distraction. That is the real point.

I had an experienced (800+) friend doing a specialty jump this weekend and the first advice was for him to leave the camera behind. He didn't even spend a second disagreeing because he knew why that advice was given.

At the end of the day there is a BSR. If you don't agree with it and think that different cameras should be treated differently then you should make your case to the USPA.

When you are on the ride to altitude with those glasses on is it going to cross your mind to check your handles or to clean the lense?

Wickey
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Pretty much what everyone else on here is saying, and it seems the biggest thing that non-jumpers simply don't understand, is the distraction factor. Regardless of whether the camera is on your helmet, chest, feet, in glasses, or hidden inside your glove.

It's neat to be able to show friends what you do for fun, and see your skills progress. But I don't think the risk is anywhere near the reward for newer jumpers. This coming from a new guy too..

So when I want video of a jump, I spend a the extra money and hire a videographer there on site at the DZ and don't even give it a single thought while in the air. They do a great job, appreciate the business, and it's always good to make a new friend.

It is a distraction and it could and will take your attention from a gear check that is more valuable. That should also mean you don't jump with a GPS and you don't jump with a iPod...no gadgets or additions that are a distraction. That is the real point.

I had an experienced (800+) friend doing a specialty jump this weekend and the first advice was for him to leave the camera behind. He didn't even spend a second disagreeing because he knew why that advice was given.

At the end of the day there is a BSR. If you don't agree with it and think that different cameras should be treated differently then you should make your case to the USPA.

When you are on the ride to altitude with those glasses on is it going to cross your mind to check your handles or to clean the lense?

Wickey

There is no BSR related to cameras, although some feel there should be.

Been years since I've been on here. Same questions different people :)
A.) Distraction
B.) Motivation to act retarded
C.) You'll be lucky to be in frame
D.) No one wants to see 10 front flips out a door, there is no reference.
E.) Id go into a serious in depth answer but im really high on pain shit.

Holy shit I sound old.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

this may also pose a risk, but I cannot think of one.

With this statement you indicate your lack of experience to know what is risky behavior and what is not.

Until you understand and recognize the inherent risk you should be attentive to guidance from the initiated.

jon

Good stuff asking about something you were unsure of.
My hat's off to you for thinking before acting.

Now, go out there and teach others how to do that.
:)

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239