flycoop

Does skydiving ever get boring?

dkvkb

There really is such a thing? One time I posted that I felt like I belonged in the sky, went back & read it again & thought it sounded so ridiculous, I deleted it. I have done 4 tandems and one "accidental solo". I will start the AFF again next week!

Accidental solo?
cavete terrae.

flycoop

I've gone on 2 tandem jumps and planning on getting my A-license next spring. I tend to jump into a passion 100% and then I get bored of them very quickly. Is it even possible skydiving could end up like this to some people?

Like all things in life we get bored if not challenged. In my limited and uninspiring jumping career I did 19 tandems and all were good but by number 19 the yawn factor was starting. Moved to 5 Aff jumps and it was great until intervening factors of my own doing ended it all.(not an accident or being dangerous or anything.. just me becoming known (rightly so) as a fuckstik)

My point is I doubt you will get bored if you follow the licence path and always keep learning and discovering new skills. there is so much to learn and so many nice folk to meet and do in the sport. I hope you enjoy it and excell !!!
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

My wife acts like she is ok with it. She actually went with me on the fist tandem. Once I actually start going to AFF I think it will be a different story. She has already asked " What's the point of all this? Why can't you just go tandem once in awhile?" I told her it's not just the thrill of jumping, it's accomplishing something bigger, it's learning new things, making new friends, and following through with one of my dreams of actually flying, not just falling but flying. It's the one thing I can have that's just for me.

I was introduced to the sky at 2 weeks old, mom held me in the back seat of dad's Champ. Built and flew model airplanes by first grade. Spent every weekend at the DZ while dad flew the plane. Started hang gliding at age 14, started flying lessons at age 15, started jumping at age 16, I'm now 51 and fly several times a month and jump when I can. When I am working and it is a beutiful day, I get anxious knowing how much I would love to be up there instead of working. Maybe I am a weirdo, but I feel a constant need to be in the air. It motivates me to work so I can afford to fly and jump. It has been a part of me as long as I can remember. A simple hop and pop or a short flight in my Kolb, will change my mood. My wife (a non jumper) will tell me to go jump when I am crabby because she knows I will come home in a good mood. There has to be other people out there who have this feeling. I am never bored when I am flying , jumping, or even riding up in the plane to altitude. It is where I love to be.

FlyingRhenquest

man, no wonder i'm gettin bored of this sport..no one ever wants to jump with me :|

Just weasel your ways into their groups. Find like 3 people, say "What are you doing?" and whatever they say, say "Mind if I join you?" That works great, at least until they get wise to you! I often have two or three guys weasel their way into my jumps, and they're welcome! I keep feeling like one of these days I'm going to end up being a regular 9-way tracking dive leader!

I actually like that idea!

It's entirely possible to get burned out without ever getting bored. For one thing, skydiving, while exciting, is an easy to practice sport, almost anyone can do it. I was fully immersed and burned right through without ever being bored, I just got enough and went on down the road. Now windsurfing, that's a different story.

chemist

2. Why in the world would someone do 19 tandems before starting AFF?!?!?

maybe cuz they are super lazy on doing all the work.

i have an uncle who has his own business, his wifey is a doctor, and they live in an upscale neighborhood. he's done several tandems yet considers himself a 'skydiver'. when i asked him "why don't you just get licensed" he said "too much work, i'll just pay for the thrill and for someone to keep me safe".

what a lazy bum.

Minimum A license IMO makes you a skydiver***

I always told my students that once they pulled for themselves or handled a malfunction *(whichever came first) then they could call themselves a skydiver, I trained static line and IAD and in my mind once they saved their own life then the title was theirs.

but I kinda like your idea too.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

flycoop

My wife acts like she is ok with it. She actually went with me on the fist tandem. Once I actually start going to AFF I think it will be a different story. She has already asked " What's the point of all this? Why can't you just go tandem once in awhile?"

This.

I told her it's not just the thrill of jumping, it's accomplishing something bigger, it's learning new things, making new friends, and following through with one of my dreams of actually flying, not just falling but flying. It's the one thing I can have that's just for me.

The beginning of the end...;)
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Just like everything else you do in my life, if you no goals you will get bored. I have everything planned in my head, and it goes something like this:
First I wanted my solo so I can jump alone, because it was thrilling.
Second I wanted to get my A, to feel accomplished and be able to do 2 ways with some of the people I made friends with here.
Next goal is B, Coach 1, C, and then Coach 2, wingsuitting for some new experience, and maybe one day AFF/PFF instructor.

I will always be working towards that goal, and every jump I will make will be for that goal. That keeps me motivated, happy, and excited. I will be learning more and more new things with every rating there. One thing that keeps me really going is wanting to become a Coach 2. It was really hard getting a Coach 2 jump going at my DZ, for me during my progression towards my A and other people since most of those coaches do tandems. My thinking and goal is that I want to become a Coach 2 so one day I can help other novices with their jumps when they need them because I have no interest in becoming a TI.

Giving back to the community for everything it has given me, and more, is what I want to do. That is my goal, and it's what keeps me looking forward to my next progression. The second I was told I got my A, I looked at my friend and told her: "Time to start working on my B", like immediately.