1 1
billvon

Trump hopes for the US economy to crash

His legal team also opined that if Trump ordered Seal Team Six to kill his political opponents, he could not be prosecuted until he was impeached and convicted by Congress.  If that's not possible - say, he has them kill all the democrats and then he resigns so he is not subject to impeachment - then he literally gets away with murder, because there is no way to prosecute him for those deaths.

An interesting passage from a BBC article on that - 

More widely, Mr Sauer also contended that prosecuting a president for his actions in office could paralyse government, particularly the executive branch. He claimed that authorising "the prosecution of a president for his official acts would open a Pandora's Box from which the nation may never recover". 

He posed the hypotheticals that George W Bush could be prosecuted for "giving false information to Congress" to make the case for the invasion of Iraq, and that Barack Obama could face charges "for allegedly authorising drone strikes targeting US citizens located abroad". 

While the judges seemed open to the government's arguments, they also expressed concern that their decision could lead to the "Pandora's Box" raised by Mr Trump's attorneys.

So let me get this straight, a downside to prosecuting Trump might also mean you have the ability to prosecute a President who deliberately lied to Congress in order to start an unjustified war of aggression that costs thousands of US servicemen and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis their lives? And pretty much everyone agrees it would be a bad thing not to have a guarantee that the next person who tries that also gets away with it? 

47 minutes ago, jakee said:

An interesting passage from a BBC article on that - 

More widely, Mr Sauer also contended that prosecuting a president for his actions in office could paralyse government, particularly the executive branch. He claimed that authorising "the prosecution of a president for his official acts would open a Pandora's Box from which the nation may never recover". 

He posed the hypotheticals that George W Bush could be prosecuted for "giving false information to Congress" to make the case for the invasion of Iraq, and that Barack Obama could face charges "for allegedly authorising drone strikes targeting US citizens located abroad". 

While the judges seemed open to the government's arguments, they also expressed concern that their decision could lead to the "Pandora's Box" raised by Mr Trump's attorneys.

So let me get this straight, a downside to prosecuting Trump might also mean you have the ability to prosecute a President who deliberately lied to Congress in order to start an unjustified war of aggression that costs thousands of US servicemen and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis their lives? And pretty much everyone agrees it would be a bad thing not to have a guarantee that the next person who tries that also gets away with it? 

Pretty sure the information provided at the time was based on a bad source and torture, but they will argue it wasn't knowingly false, even if brought to court.

Obama has a DOJ opinion that was documented prior to his decision that calls the strike likely legal. Hard to bring a criminal case under those circumstances.

There isn't really a "Pandora's box" that would be opened.

While I am not sure what the court will rule, I am pretty sure Trump will lose by 3-0. I think en banc will be denied. I think whether SCOTUS grants cert will really depend on whether there is consensus among the 3 judges.

Trump thinks magnets can be killed by pouring water over them. Who knew? I always suspected those magnet fishing videos were fake. And obviously the navy were tying those limpet mines to enemy ships.

As for the earths magnetic field,....

Absolute Jenius.

1 hour ago, obelixtim said:

Trump thinks magnets can be killed by pouring water over them. Who knew? I always suspected those magnet fishing videos were fake. And obviously the navy were tying those limpet mines to enemy ships.

Absolute Jenius.

But for for late night talk shows, this is a gold mine!

1 hour ago, obelixtim said:

Absolute Jenius.

The earths magnetic field will vanish when the ice over the poles melt and floods those magnets.

"Think of it, magnets," Trump said. "Now all I know about magnets is this, give me a glass of water, let me drop it on the magnets, that's the end of the magnets." is the actual quote. His rambling nonsense is getting worse and worse during his campaign speeches.

6 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Pretty sure the information provided at the time was based on a bad source and torture, but they will argue it wasn't knowingly false, even if brought to court.

And Cheney sitting in a room with a team of aides rewriting intelligence reports until they said what they needed to say. 

But that doesn’t matter - whether or not it’s true it is the premise of the Trump team’s argument that Bush did commit crimes in order to invade Iraq for no good reason and that it would be a bad thing if the justice system were able to hold him to account for that. Which is mind boggling.

On 1/9/2024 at 9:41 PM, Phil1111 said:

"Think of it, magnets," Trump said. "Now all I know about magnets is this, give me a glass of water, let me drop it on the magnets, that's the end of the magnets." is the actual quote. His rambling nonsense is getting worse and worse during his campaign speeches.

Well, you have to admit. Trump isn't wrong there. Given a sufficiently large enough glass of water, you could drop it onto a thin magnet and it could shatter the magnet into a bunch of tiny pieces therefore ending the usefulness of the magnet and "end[ing] the magnet". 

You just have to understand the way people who are 'like a smart person' talk. This is all part of the genius that is Trump.