skyflyerh

What Size Canopy

Hi
Would like some advice if anybody would like to help. I have taken on bored what i've been told by jumpers i know but just thought i'd see what the general opinion is before i go buying.
I weigh 9stone 8 pounds and am looking to buy my first rig. I have 65 jumps and you could say another 20 - 25 before i buy a rig. I have been jumping a spectre 190 and had a few jumps on a sabre2 170. Much preferred the sabre 170 and think i'll definitely go for a sabre2 but cannot decide what size to go for a 150 or a 170? some people say that i should get a 150. And i plan to jump a 150 just a soon as i get a nice day were i can borrow one as id like it to be a sabre so i can get the real feel of it. What would you think i should be buying?

How many pounds are in a stone?

Many people, myself included, will recommend that a novice not exceed about one pound suspended weight (ie exit weight) per square foot of canopy size for their first main. A wingloading of about 1.0 allows you to screw up a few landings - and you will, we all do in our first couple hundred jumps - without as much pain as the same screw up under a smaller, faster canopy will create.

Definitely discuss this with the people who trained you and have seen you fly/land a parachute, but if they recommend something smaller than you are currently capable of landing safely on a no wind day feel free to ignore their "advice" - those people do not have your best interests in mind.

I weigh just slightly more than you, a couple of weeks ago i asked for a little advice on moving down from my spectre 170 to my new safire2 149, I was shot down by the dz.com fireing squad with AK47's and i have over 200 jumps, looks like you have gotten away lightly.

Thanks, I've a few more jumps on a 170 and haven't had a problem with them. I just dont wana buy a 170 and a few weeks later on a nice windy day be bitching about why I didn't get a 150! I'm gonna order a rig next week if i havent found a siutable 2nd hand one so any more advice would be appreciated. By the way after the firing squads comments did you downsize and if so how did you get on since downsizing?

No, i didnt downsize yet. I am going to do a canopy course first. I had an interesting landing in Eloy that could have been painfull if i had decided to downsize. In a few weeks i will have a beautiful Wings, spectre 170. smart, cypres2 system coming up for sale its a year old with 130 jumps on it lovely colours. Would suit you from what i have heard (but ask an adult.) Good luck what ever you decide.

And a non-PC response.

At 11 ish stone and 70 ish jumps I bought my first rig. The decission was agonising. Ultimately I opted for a 170 and left the 150 behind. It served me well, and did give me the safety margin a newbie craves. But on the next downsize I had a real quandry, at 350 jumps a 150 wasnt really what I was after but the down size to a 135 was a big step. [I did take it with about 25 jumps on borrowed 150s.]

In retrospect, I should have started on the 150.

Here's the drum though, it's not simply about wing sizing, it's about you. What is you're comfort zone. If you are a yahoo, then be conservative. If you're calm and conservative, you can cope with more. Who knows you and how you fly? What do they think.

Be carefull with dodgy advice like mine. :S

Do get yourself a decent canopy though. Something a little slippery, and (more dodgy non-PC advice) with 9 cells.

Another suggestion - buy second hand (but quality) it'll make the next canopy that much easier to move into.

Dru

I would say talk to your instructors for sure...

seeing as how you weight a bit more lightly the 150 should be allright but I dont know how you fly your cnaopy...

but I reiterate talk to your instructors...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.