1 1
David Wang

Texas Supreme Court Temporarily Halts Court-Approved Abortion

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

So much for what most Americans want:  keep abortion off the ballot

Conservatives move to keep abortion off the 2024 ballot - POLITICO

I would guess that they are afraid of the ballot box.

Jerry Baumchen

Well, considering that EVERY ballot measure on abortion has gone against them, I can see why.

The only way they can win is to deny people the right to vote.

This does not apply only to abortion.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 11:47 PM, normiss said:

Suddenly wondering how I can NOT go to corporate headquarters again. Fuck Texas.

Say you're not going and stick to it. Say your sense of right and ingrained morality makes going to Texas a very serious issue for you. Explain further that, like with every serious issue, there is one thing that can help bridge the gap temporarily while all parties are sorting through the complexities.

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Say you're not going and stick to it. Say your sense of right and ingrained morality makes going to Texas a very serious issue for you. Explain further that, like with every serious issue, there is one thing that can help bridge the gap temporarily while all parties are sorting through the complexities.

It's flat, it's brown, it's hot AF, it boring AF, flights to central Texas from western NC suck, the restaurants there suck, but the TexMex is damn good. I'm also good, I maintain the southeast region and cover what 4 guys in Texas support. They're good without me there.

3 minutes ago, normiss said:

It's flat, it's brown, it's hot AF, it boring AF, flights to central Texas from western NC suck, the restaurants there suck, but the TexMex is damn good. I'm also good, I maintain the southeast region and cover what 4 guys in Texas support. They're good without me there.

Good deal, no joy in telling Torons to take a leap.

(edited)

I'm pleased to say that a new law in  Illinois (where abortion is safe and legal) prevents providing vehicle license plate information to any state if the request is due to an attempt by said state to prevent a woman to coming to IL to obtain an abortion.

Edited by kallend
  • Like 5

On 1/1/2024 at 6:01 AM, kallend said:

I'm pleased to say that a new law in  Illinois (where abortion is safe and legal) prevents providing vehicle license plate information to any state if the request is due to an attempt by said state to prevent a woman to coming to IL to obtain an abortion.

Be interesting to see how that's implemented.  The simplest way is to simply not provide license plate information to any requester from any state that bans abortion.

40 minutes ago, billvon said:

Be interesting to see how that's implemented.  The simplest way is to simply not provide license plate information to any requester from any state that bans abortion.

Might create a 14th amendment problem for this SC.

5 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Might create a 14th amendment problem for this SC.

Not really a problem for conservative lawyers/jugdes.  Heck, Texas state lawyers are already arguing a fetus is not a person if the state harms the fetus, therefore the mother cannot pursue legal remedies against them.  I mean, it might mean conservatives have to cough up a few more superyacht vacations for the SC justices, but hey, that's the cost of doing business.

On 12/18/2023 at 4:34 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

So much for what most Americans want:  keep abortion off the ballot

Conservatives move to keep abortion off the 2024 ballot - POLITICO

I would guess that they are afraid of the ballot box.

Jerry Baumchen

yup, if you cannot get your policy passed, then change the rules - I mean who needs democracy anyway?  After all we elect 'representatives to make the decisions, so sit down and shut the fuck up'.

Ther guy I ran against in 2018, Danny Burgess is now a state senator.  He will run for Governor someday.  "I will not stop until there are no more abortions.'  That is a quote.  He is also practicing Catholic, so that explains a lot of it.  And he is far from being alone in FL.