jakee

Alternative facts

The most bizarre thing I can ever remember in politics has just happened in the UK. For the last few years the Government has been trying to implement a policy of deporting asylum seekers in the UK to Rwanda, where their asylum claims will be judged by the Rwandan government and if successful, they are permanently settled in Rwanda. This has raced any number of legal challenges for various reasons, and delayed indefinitely at huge cost.

It just been finally struck down by the Supreme Court because after extensive investigations they found as a matter of fact that Rwanda was not a safe country for refugees. There are numerous instances of refugees being discriminated against by the government in Rwanda (including being killed in detention by police) and of legitimate asylum claimants being deported back to countries where they are then detained, tortured or killed. This matter of fact and reality makes the policy illegal under UK law, retained European law and international law. 

The government’s response to this comprehensive loss is (and I still can’t quite believe this is what they actually said - but it is) pledging to rush through legislation to declare that Rwanda is a safe country after all. Again, the courts struck down the policy because reality makes it illegal, so the government will pass a new law that says reality is not what it actually is. How is it even possible for someone whose job it is to do politics to have so little understanding of how it works?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67432853

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jakee said:

The most bizarre thing I can ever remember in politics has just happened in the UK. For the last few years the Government has been trying to implement a policy of deporting asylum seekers in the UK to Rwanda, where their asylum claims will be judged by the Rwandan government and if successful, they are permanently settled in Rwanda. This has raced any number of legal challenges for various reasons, and delayed indefinitely at huge cost.

It just been finally struck down by the Supreme Court because after extensive investigations they found as a matter of fact that Rwanda was not a safe country for refugees. There are numerous instances of refugees being discriminated against by the government in Rwanda (including being killed in detention by police) and of legitimate asylum claimants being deported back to countries where they are then detained, tortured or killed. This matter of fact and reality makes the policy illegal under UK law, retained European law and international law. 

The government’s response to this comprehensive loss is (and I still can’t quite believe this is what they actually said - but it is) pledging to rush through legislation to declare that Rwanda is a safe country after all. Again, the courts struck down the policy because reality makes it illegal, so the government will pass a new law that says reality is not what it actually is. How is it even possible for someone whose job it is to do politics to have so little understanding of how it works?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67432853

Incredible and very sad. 

I've not looked at a map recently, but if you managed to get to the UK from Rwanda by boat you deserve to stay.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, nigel99 said:

Incredible and very sad. 

I've not looked at a map recently, but if you managed to get to the UK from Rwanda by boat you deserve to stay.

Well yeah, I guess... but I'm pretty sure none of the people we're trying to send to Rwanda are from Rwanda.

Anyway it's just got even... better? The former Home Secretary (who was the main cheerleader for and in charge of implementing the Rwanda policy until she was sacked last week for, and I'm paraphrasing, being such a massive racist it was impossible to ignore anymore) has said that instead using a new law to declare an alternate reality to the courts, we should just write a law which says this law is immune to challenge in the courts! Because apparently constitutional oversight is just an optional thing whenever you don't like the results. God I wish I was allowed to get away with knowing that little about how my own job works.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/suella-braverman-rwanda-rishi-sunak-b2449019.html

1 hour ago, jakee said:

Well yeah, I guess... but I'm pretty sure none of the people we're trying to send to Rwanda are from Rwanda.

Anyway it's just got even... better? The former Home Secretary (who was the main cheerleader for and in charge of implementing the Rwanda policy until she was sacked last week for, and I'm paraphrasing, being such a massive racist it was impossible to ignore anymore) has said that instead using a new law to declare an alternate reality to the courts, we should just write a law which says this law is immune to challenge in the courts! Because apparently constitutional oversight is just an optional thing whenever you don't like the results. God I wish I was allowed to get away with knowing that little about how my own job works.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/suella-braverman-rwanda-rishi-sunak-b2449019.html

Hi Jakee,

Well, Ronald Reagan just re-defined things.  Taxes => Fees

'Hey, I said I was going to lower your taxes.'

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, jakee said:

we should just write a law which says this law is immune to challenge in the courts! Because apparently constitutional oversight is just an optional thing whenever you don't like the results.

Brilliant!  If only Trump had known this while he was president, he'd still BE president.