2 2
brenthutch

EVs, Aspirations vs Reality

On 4/22/2024 at 3:16 PM, SkyDekker said:

He could try OnlyFans. Some Australian Rapper is making $36 million a year of the platform....I am sure with a little ingenuity he could do the same thing

I've been trying hard for a couple of days and could not sell any of my cast iron. Guess that's not for me either.  Wait . . . you said OnlyFans. Damn, I was trying OnlyPans. 

• Like 3

On 4/22/2024 at 12:43 PM, billvon said:

I get all my power from solar.  California now goes hours getting all its power from renewables for weeks on end - and all that is time we are not burning natural gas, thus saving that gas for the less developed parts of the US.  As a result, natural gas prices are dropping, and air quality is improving.  

That is odd as State College PA (right in the heart of coal and fracking country) has better air quality than San Diego 

18 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

That is odd as State College PA (right in the heart of coal and fracking country) has better air quality than San Diego 

There's this thing about digging the coal and oil in one place, then burning it in another place...

Man, this is so stupid it's definitely trolling now...

(edited)
29 minutes ago, olofscience said:

There's this thing about digging the coal and oil in one place, then burning it in another place...

Man, this is so stupid it's definitely trolling now...

Shawville generating station (coal fired) 30 miles upwind, Penn State power plant (natural gas) located in town(right on campus). It helps to have a clue, you won’t look so foolish.

Edited by brenthutch

17 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Shawville generating station (coal fired) 30 miles upwind, Penn State power plant (natural gas) located in town(right on campus). It helps to have a clue, you won’t look so foolish.

So PA burns ALL the coal and gas mined there? And petrol-burning cars aren't an issue?

Try again.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Fracking has less and less affect on air quality these days as frac fleets are largely going electric (those Biden shills!!!)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lippy said:

Fracking has less and less affect on air quality these days as frac fleets are largely going electric (those Biden shills!!!)

It's almost as if PA being "coal and fracking country" has nothing to do with its air quality, huh?

But Brent can name TWO power plants and their locations :rofl: so stop that with your facts (and actually useful data) he doesn't want to look foolish does he??? :rofl::rofl:

(edited)
40 minutes ago, olofscience said:

And petrol-burning cars aren't an issue?

Well we have lots of SUVs and pickup trucks burning gas and diesel and still have better air quality than San Diego 

BTW I could have listed dozens of fossil fuel power plants, I just gave you the two closest.

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)
1 hour ago, olofscience said:

But you didn't answer my question. Do those power plants burn ALL the coal and gas mined in PA?

I don’t know, what difference would that make? BillV’s point was that California’s green energy was conducive to better air quality. My point was we mine, frack and burn fossil fuels in our power plants, homes, and vehicles and we still have better air quality than California. The fact that we help the the world by sharing in our bounty has no bearing on that fact.

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)
26 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I don’t know, what difference would that make?

I'll try to explain it as simply as possible - you specifically mentioned "the heart of coal and fracking country".

Just mining coal and fracking doesn't affect the air quality as much as burning the stuff.

As to your inability to understand the difference in San Diego's and PA's air quality, here's a clue: it doesn't depend on merely the existence of fossil fuel burning, but rather how much is burnedBut I don't really need to explain further, because we know how you are with numbers.

Edited by olofscience

3 minutes ago, olofscience said:

I'll try to explain it as simply as possible - you specifically mentioned "the heart of coal and fracking country".

Just mining coal and fracking doesn't affect the air quality as much as burning the stuff.

As to your inability to understand the difference in San Diego's and PA's air quality, here's a clue: it doesn't depend on merely the existence of fossil fuel burning, but rather how much is burnedBut I don't really need to explain further, because we know how you are with numbers.

We have more coal fired power plants than California and better air quality. Clear enough for you?  

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

You think that's odd? Really? You can't think of any reason why those two places might be different?

(edited)
4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Well we have lots of SUVs and pickup trucks burning gas and diesel and still have better air quality than San Diego 

Lots? Lots and lots? You sure 'bout that?

Ok, so how many SUVs and pickup trucks does State College, township of 40,000 people, have in comparison to San Diego, city of 1,400,000?

This is turning out about as well as the time you claimed Amazon workers on PA didn't need food stamps because their bosses made a decent wage, isn't it?

Edited by jakee

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

We have more coal fired power plants than California and better air quality. Clear enough for you?  

Clear enough that you're misleading and lying, yes.

I said, what affects air quality is mainly how much fossil fuel is burned. Number of coal power plants doesn't mean that PA burns more fossil fuel than California, which has 3x the population. Which means approximately 3x the number of vehicles, 3x the amount of energy consumption. Hopefully you can handle that number...

You'll probably ignore this question, but where do you think San Diego's air pollution is coming from? Solar panels?

1 hour ago, jakee said:

Lots? Lots and lots? You sure 'bout that?

Ok, so how many SUVs and pickup trucks does State College, township of 40,000 people, have in comparison to San Diego, city of 1,400,000?

Bottom line, we have better air quality and cheaper electricity from fossil fuels than San Diego with all of its solar panels , windmills and EVs. That will make you butt hurt but those are the facts. 

5 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Clear enough that you're misleading and lying, yes.

I said, what affects air quality is mainly how much fossil fuel is burned. Number of coal power plants doesn't mean that PA burns more fossil fuel.

California coal plants = 1 Pennsylvania coal plants = dozens. On a per capita basis, Pennsylvania burns more coal than California, and California produces more solar and wind on a per capita basis, yet Pennsylvania has better air quality and cheaper electricity.

19 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Bottom line, we have better air quality and cheaper electricity from fossil fuels than San Diego with all of its solar panels , windmills and EVs.

And most Brazilians speak better Portuguese than you do. So?

Wendy P.

23 minutes ago, olofscience said:

You'll probably ignore this question, but where do you think San Diego's air pollution is coming from? Solar panels?

Certainly not from Tijuana, which has very lax pollution controls.  There's a wall, after all, and as all conservatives know, that stops everything.

11 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

on a per capita basis

This is one of the instances where per capita basis SHOULDN'T be used since air quality isn't divided per capita. So you suddenly gain the ability to divide numbers when they twist the narrative :rofl:

And as I predicted, you ignored my question on where the air pollution was coming from:rofl:

37 minutes ago, olofscience said:

This is one of the instances where per capita basis SHOULDN'T be used since air quality isn't divided per capita. So you suddenly gain the ability to divide numbers when they twist the narrative :rofl:

And as I predicted, you ignored my question on where the air pollution was coming from:rofl:

It’s also better than Los Angeles 

(edited)
19 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Still ignoring my question as predicted :rofl: you're so easy to figure out...

To answer your question, the pollution comes from all of the diesel generators when rainbows and unicorn farts are unable to keep up with demand.

“CARB’s ATCM for Diesel Particulate Matter from Portable Engines Rated at 50 Horsepower or Greater (Portable Diesel Engine ATCM) allows the use of emergency-use engines to provide back-up power during PSPS events”

Edited by brenthutch

20 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

To answer your question, the pollution comes from all of the diesel generators when rainbows and unicorn farts are unable to keep up with demand.

“CARB’s ATCM for Diesel Particulate Matter from Portable Engines Rated at 50 Horsepower or Greater (Portable Diesel Engine ATCM) allows the use of emergency-use engines to provide back-up power during PSPS events”

So...you couldn't resist and just came up with complete bullshit :rofl:

"The majority (42 percent) of the pollutants that contribute to ozone formation in San Diego County come from tailpipe emissions from motor vehicles." (Source: https://www.iqair.com/usa/california/san-diego)