fcajump

Exit Order (again... sorry)

This came up recently at the DZ I was at and lead to some confusion...

The DZ has a long established policy on exit order based on the computer modeling previously discussed on this site. 
Generally:  Belly first, Free Fliers, Students, Tandems, Angle, Wing. (IIRC)

Along comes a visiting speed flier.  (reporting 280+)

After consultation with the S&TA, decision was to put him out first.

I haven't had a chance to discuss it with the S&TA, but wanted to see where the speed fliers are being put in the line up elsewhere...

I would have thought somewhere after the Angle Fliers, but maybe someone can give a better explanation on why first out...

JW

9 hours ago, fcajump said:

I would have thought somewhere after the Angle Fliers

seems right to me.  Getting out first and you risk the belly fliers opening over top of you, unless you are angling off jump run somehow, not sure what a speed flier does, I assume they just went straight down though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Deisel said:

That's what I've been seeing at the places I jump. And it makes sense to me - get the meteorite out first and away from the rest of us. I wouldn't want that coming out on top of me. 

I agree I would not want that coming down on top of me, but assuming they are very fast straight down, doesn't that put them opening directly under where the belly fliers will drift?

2 hours ago, chuckakers said:

Speed runs can go all over the place. Some go mostly straight down, but some cover a lot of horizontal distance, which can also be in random directions.

That doesn’t seem to make them a good fit for before belly unless they’re pulling in the basement, and that’s not something I want to depend on.

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

When I played with speed, I would finish by spending 2-3k pulling horizontal into a high speed track 90degrees from jump run (we didn't have wings/trackers/angles at the time to conflict with)..

It was really cool to see how much lift I could get with just a normal jump suit (~90mph vertical... and I'm a brick) and how much distance I could make.

With the mix of jumpers we have in a typical otter these days, I wouldn't do it without a lot of coordination, but it was fun.

JW

Speedflyers should go out first and pick a 90° angle from jumprun IMO. If they go in random directions they should not be speedflying. Speedflyers go considerably faster than freeflyers and of course belly jumpers. By the time the belly team is done setting up in the door and ready to jump the speedflyers are already half way down. By the time the belly team comes out of the hill the speedflyers are getting ready to slow down. We have one or two speedflyers jumping regularly in our DZ, and they always land about 30 seconds before anybody else, even though they do not have particularly small canopies.

In our DZ we also put angle flyers out first. Even thought the falling speed difference is not so dramatic as with speedflyers, they can cover (and should) cover a lot of horizontal distance and be well away from jumprun and from underneath any other jumpers. The exit order should maximize distance between groups, so a fast-falling and long-distance-covering group leaving before belly groups puts everyone away from each other as much as possible. That requires of course decent navigation skills from the leader.

On 1/22/2024 at 1:38 PM, skydiverek said:

Speedflyer can have a premature opening. If he is the first out, the following flat fliers will be directly over him.

Vertical seperation does NOT always work! We want to have horizontal separation.

And that's why speedflyers should pick a 90° angle from jumprun. Speedflying is not purely vertical, it does have an (admittedly small) horizontal component.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Deimian said:

And that's why speedflyers should pick a 90° angle from jumprun. Speedflying is not purely vertical, it does have an (admittedly small) horizontal component.

I wouldn't want to count on it, or their ability to do it well.