1 1
JerryBaumchen

Still in the Dark Ages

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Pretty much.  

Dietary rules look VERY suspiciously like 'food safety' from a time before they knew what that was.
Take pork for example. Unless cooked thoroughly, it can be pretty dangerous.

So the people who are smart say "Don't eat pork."

But hungry people say "Pork chops taste good. Bacon tastes good. Why can't we eat it?"

And the smart people say "Because God doesn't want you to."

Kind of hard to argue with God. Kind hard to blame the priests for just 'passing on what God told them to tell you.'
And, of course, the people who 'defy God' and eat the pork sometimes die.

It's the same with a lot of the other stuff. Things that cost the individual, yet benefit society.
The societies that implemented that sort of stuff did better than the ones that didn't, reinforcing the ideas.

There's some speculation among sociologists that this sort of thing, where the people more likely to believe in God and obey the priests had better chances of survival, and that 'willingness to believe' (also called 'gullibility') actually turned into a survival trait and has evolved into people. Had this discussion a while back, but one of the 'hardcore believers' did a pretty good job throwing it off track with distraction and other bullshit.

Biblical food prohibitions are based upon scientific fact ... the only problem is that they were written many centuries before humans understood germ theory, etc.

Pigs sometimes carry trichinella ring worms and other diseases that can be passed to humans.

Shell-fish are periodically infected with red-tide, which is poisonous to humans. If you do not understand the cycle of red-tide, the simple answer is to not eat shell-fish.

Similarly, keeping separate sets of kitchen tools for meat and fish reduces the risk of cross-contamination.

IOW Ancient rabbis were the food inspectors of their day. They kept the most dangerous foods off the market.

On 7/18/2023 at 2:24 PM, kallend said:

Writing as a retired physics professor, I suggest you don't give up your day job to practice physics.

No doubt there is stuff to be refined, and new stuff to be discovered, but no way are we going to find that the Earth (including water) existed before photons (which, incidentally, are not plasma).

No worries.

I freely admit that while I might understand the basics of Newtonian Physics, later quantum theory goes completely over my head.

On 7/19/2023 at 3:10 AM, Stumpy said:

My son had some idiot teacher show them a video about the easter myth with fairly graphic representations of crucifixion etc at the age of about 5 (non-religious school). He had nightmares for weeks. Some choice words were had with said teacher - She was christian herself but hadn't actually watched the video prior.

Both my grand-fathers were Protestants. One was an Orangeman, making him a Protestant with a capital "P." He attended the Anglican church on Sunday mornings, then devoted the afternoon to telling us everything that was wrong with the Roman Catholics in Quebec. I was tired of his rants before I became a teenager.

I never liked Catholic crucifixes. They always scared me.

More recently I have come to the conclusion that Catholic crucifixes were invented by Romans after they stopped throwing early Christians to the lions (Colliseum) and adopted Christianity as the state religion. Crucifixion was invented by the Romans to publicly punish and humiliate non-conformists (see gladiator revolt). Crucifixion was a slow and painful and miserable way to die. Crucifixion was right up there with public castration, disembowelment, drawing-and-quartering, etc. Criminals were publicly crucified to "encourage the others" to conform to gov't laws.

28 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

Crucifixion was right up there with public castration, disembowelment, drawing-and-quartering, etc. Criminals were publicly crucified to "encourage the others" to conform to gov't laws.

Always look on the bright side of life!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

And, here I thought that Florida was the Sunshine State. 

Looks to me like they are still in the Dark Ages:  New Florida teaching standards say African Americans received some ‘personal benefit’ from slavery - POLITICO

Jerry Baumchen

Hi folks,

These girls were marching in the wrong state.  If they had been marching in Florida, it would have some ‘personal benefit’

They marched for desegregation — then they disappeared for 45 days : NPR

Jerry Baumchen

4 hours ago, ryoder said:

"Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker. Pigs sleep and root in shit. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces."

;-)

Yup. That's why God told Jules not to eat pork.

You know, right after God caused the miracle & saved Jules' life.

RIght after Vince & Jules murdered 2 people (and right before they murdered a third and later a 4th).

2 hours ago, kallend said:

Can you imagine a religion choosing to have a guillotine, gallows or electric chair as its symbol?  Yet the cross is an instrument of torture and execution worse than any of those.

But a picture of a trans person is offensive.

16 hours ago, billvon said:

But a picture of a trans person is offensive.

Perhaps.

13 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

A rainbow flag is worse.

Possibly, but what's even worse.

TV evangelist wishes for a facebook ‘vomit’ button for gay-kissing pictures Who also made these comments on Walt Disney's Gay Days"I would warn Orlando that you’re right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don’t think I’d be waving those flags in God’s face if I were you … It’ll bring about terrorist bombs; it’ll bring earthquakes, tornadoes, and possibly a meteor.”

42 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Perhaps.

TV evangelist wishes for a facebook ‘vomit’ button for gay-kissing pictures Who also made these comments on Walt Disney's Gay Days"I would warn Orlando that you’re right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don’t think I’d be waving those flags in God’s face if I were you … It’ll bring about terrorist bombs; it’ll bring earthquakes, tornadoes, and possibly a meteor.”

God is going to kill each and every one of us sooner or later. No point in resisting like some frightened evolutionist.

3 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Perhaps.

I wouldn't be too surprised if there are 'terrorist bombs'.

The hatred and bigotry of his followers shouldn't be underestimated.

39 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I wouldn't be too surprised if there are 'terrorist bombs'.

The hatred and bigotry of his followers shouldn't be underestimated.

For decades mainstream politicians of all parties avoided being associated with hatred and bigotry.  The few that did were generally shunned.

Then Trump came along and tapped into the most vile components of American life and showed how successful it could be.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, kallend said:

For decades mainstream politicians of all parties avoided being associated with hatred and bigotry.  The few that did were generally shunned.

Then Trump came along and tapped into the most vile components of American life and showed how successful it could be.

It kind of takes the shine off of the city on the hill, doesn't it?

(edited)
1 hour ago, kallend said:

Agree. I have yet to read or hear a good explanation as why this change in thinking is now so acceptable.  Obviously Robertson and his hate mongering messages have been delivered for quite a while. He has many competitors peddling the same messages. But the open acceptance of trump and DeSantis is mainstream well at least for republicans.

Edited by Phil1111

48 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It kind of takes the shine off of the city on the hill, doesn't it?

Makes me think of a big flood in a city that causes the sewers to back up. All the stench and filth starts flowing through the streets which nobody can avoid.

(edited)

Did anyone see "The Magic Christian"?  It's a black comedy where the main character, a billionaire called Sir Guy Grand (Peter Sellers) and his adopted son Youngman Grand (Ringo Starr) with an all-star cast set out to see just how low people would sink.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Christian_(film)

Rather like Trumpism which, unfortunately, is not fiction.

Edited by kallend
  • Like 1

And in the great state of Texas, the president of Texas A&M has resigned under pressure for her decision to try to get a professor from neighboring UT who has covered diversity etc as part of her journalism career at The NY Times, as well as while teaching at UT.

First she was offered the position as a tenured professor, then that was rescinded and she was offered a one-year provisional nontenured position, with the caveat that “we really don’t want you but we’re sort of committed.”

Story in Newsweek

Wendy P. 

41 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

And in the great state of Texas, the president of Texas A&M has resigned under pressure for her decision to try to get a professor from neighboring UT who has covered diversity etc as part of her journalism career at The NY Times, as well as while teaching at UT.

To paraphrase someone, you should not fear learning.  You should fear the people who are trying to limit what you can learn.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, billvon said:

To paraphrase someone, you should not fear learning.  You should fear the people who are trying to limit what you can learn.

Agreed!

Too much of woke culture is really censor

7 hours ago, kallend said:

ship by the lower class. Odd that the lower class would advocate censorship when one of the the few they still have is their voice. ???????

Whenever a politician stoops to "muck-raking" about their competitors, I immediately drop them to priority-last on the list of people that I am willing to vote for. Then I ignore all their speeches for the rest of the election.

Hi folks,

Looks like the Baptist Church does not want any dissent:  And when we get to the point where the teachings of Jesus himself are seen as subversive to us, then we're in a crisis.

And:   "Where did you get those liberal talking points?" And what was alarming to me is that in most of these scenarios, when the pastor would say, "I'm literally quoting Jesus Christ," the response would not be, "I apologize." The response would be, "Yes, but that doesn't work anymore. That's weak."

He was a top church official who criticized Trump. He says Christianity is in crisis - OPB

Jerry Baumchen

7 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

And:   "Where did you get those liberal talking points?" And what was alarming to me is that in most of these scenarios, when the pastor would say, "I'm literally quoting Jesus Christ," the response would not be, "I apologize." The response would be, "Yes, but that doesn't work anymore. That's weak."

Exactly!  Jesus wasn't some beta who was all lovey-dovey.  He kicked ass and took names!  

7 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Looks like the Baptist Church does not want any dissent:  And when we get to the point where the teachings of Jesus himself are seen as subversive to us, then we're in a crisis.

He was a top church official who criticized Trump. He says Christianity is in crisis - OPB

Jerry Baumchen

And God said, "by thy pussy thou shalt grab them, for thou art a star"

• Like 3