1 1
billvon

Hottest day ever recorded

On July 3rd we saw the hottest day that was ever recorded, period.  The global average was 62.62F, which of course includes places like Antarctica.  This unprecendented record was held until . . . the very next day, when it was broken again.  This time it was 62.92F.  It was last broken in 2016, which was the hottest year on record so far.

Meanwhile, places in the US from Texas to Seattle are seeing extreme heat waves, and the Northeast is still reeling from Canadian wildfire smoke.  I was out there last week and the haze was so bad you couldn't see much from New York's taller buildings.  Fortunately it was far better than it was the week before, where visibilities were down to half a mile or so.  Today the FAA had to shut down flights to New York, Philadelphia and Newark due to the smoke.

Going to be harder and harder to claim that climate change is a fake Chinese conspiracy.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2023/07/05/Hottest-day-on-Earth-recorded/9071688559339/

10 minutes ago, billvon said:

On July 3rd we saw the hottest day that was ever recorded, period.  The global average was 62.62F, which of course includes places like Antarctica.  This unprecendented record was held until . . . the very next day, when it was broken again.  This time it was 62.92F.  It was last broken in 2016, which was the hottest year on record so far.

Meanwhile, places in the US from Texas to Seattle are seeing extreme heat waves, and the Northeast is still reeling from Canadian wildfire smoke.  I was out there last week and the haze was so bad you couldn't see much from New York's taller buildings.  Fortunately it was far better than it was the week before, where visibilities were down to half a mile or so.  Today the FAA had to shut down flights to New York, Philadelphia and Newark due to the smoke.

Going to be harder and harder to claim that climate change is a fake Chinese conspiracy.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2023/07/05/Hottest-day-on-Earth-recorded/9071688559339/

I will have a comprehensive mid-year review when NOAA publishes their June report in ten days.

13 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I will have a comprehensive mid-year review when NOAA publishes their June report in ten days.

Given that you don't read...very much at all, I'm not sure what you think you're doing when you say that.

We can read the NOAA reports just fine. I actually read the whole thing, unlike you.

What makes this even more funny is that you've repeatedly demonstrated you don't understand technical writing at all. But do carry on, it will be funny!

Global hottest day on record on 3rd.  That record broken on 4th.  That record equalled on 5th.

Last month was the world's hottest June since records have been kept, the European Union's climate monitoring service said, according to Agence France-Presse. "The month was the warmest June globally ... exceeding June 2019 -- the previous record -- by a substantial margin." 

I wonder how the deniers are going to spin this.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Global hottest day on record on 3rd.  That record broken on 4th.  That record equalled on 5th.

Last month was the world's hottest June since records have been kept, the European Union's climate monitoring service said, according to Agence France-Presse. "The month was the warmest June globally ... exceeding June 2019 -- the previous record -- by a substantial margin." 

It's good for tomatoes?

3 hours ago, billvon said:

"The hottest year was SEVEN YEARS AGO!  We are COOLING!"

Or some such.

It's a cycle:

1. "The world isn't warming! Here's yet another graph I don't understand!"
  2. "Yes it is warming, but it's so small it's unnoticeable! But it's also noticeable when it comes to benefits!"
  3. "Actually, the world isn't warming and it's colder than ever!" and back to 1)

They have very short memories, like a fish or a chicken. Dory from Finding Nemo comes to mind.

4 minutes ago, olofscience said:

It's a cycle:

I wouldn't call it a cycle, since climate change deniers can hold several of those beliefs simultaneously - and some deniers never change their stance.

But as far as I can tell there are four types:

1. "There's no such thing as global warming!"
2. "OK the planet is warming but we have nothing to do with it."
3. "OK we have something to do with it but we are preventing an ice age/saving babies/etc"
4. "Nothing we can do about it anyway."

The inestimable RushMC used to cycle through those pretty regularly, but I have seen several people on Facebook who (for example) believe 1, 2 and 4 at the same time.

4 minutes ago, billvon said:

I wouldn't call it a cycle, since climate change deniers can hold several of those beliefs simultaneously - and some deniers never change their stance.

But as far as I can tell there are four types:

1. "There's no such thing as global warming!"
2. "OK the planet is warming but we have nothing to do with it."
3. "OK we have something to do with it but we are preventing an ice age/saving babies/etc"
4. "Nothing we can do about it anyway."

The inestimable RushMC used to cycle through those pretty regularly, but I have seen several people on Facebook who (for example) believe 1, 2 and 4 at the same time.

Hi Bill,

Re:   I have seen several people . . .  believe 1, 2 and 4 at the same time.

In some minds it is a very easy thing to do.

Jerry Baumchen

(edited)

The total so far in Canada of forest burnt is ten times the average for a total of 20 million acres. 19, 500 people have been forced from their homes. Only 1/2 of the current fires are under control.

That is about the size of South Carolina.

Edited by Phil1111

13 hours ago, kallend said:

Given Olof claimed the lack of warming was do to LaNina it is only reasonable to blame the current warming is due to ElNino.  No spin required 

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Given Olof claimed the lack of warming was do to LaNina it is only reasonable to blame the current warming is due to ElNino.  No spin required 

You were crowing about how 2022 was "only" 5th warmest ever on record.

La Nina should have made it like, 70th warmest (or something like that) but there was something else that was making it almost the warmest year on record ANYWAY.

Any clue to what that "something" is, brent? I won't hold my breath, you'll never get it.

On 7/6/2023 at 7:41 PM, brenthutch said:

Recordbreaking hot year: "It's just El Nino.  It has NOTHING TO DO with the planet warming."
Next year not as hot due to La Nina: "See?  There's no warming!  Global warming is OVER!  It has NOTHING TO DO with La Nina."

Meanwhile:

In May, Berkeley scientists calculated that this year has a 54% chance of being the hottest on record, due to a cool spring.  This was before summer records were smashed.

NOAA recently warned that by the end of the summer, 50% of the Earth's oceans may be experiencing heat waves.  (Normal is 10% for that time of year.)  Not only is that very bad news for things like coral reefs and fishermen, that will exacerbate heat waves on land.  And will increase precipitation as more water evaporates.  And that evaporated water will, in turn, trap more heat.

Vermont and New York just got hit with a "1000 year storm" that flooded homes and destroyed roads in the East.  This, of course, is only 11 years after the last "1000 year storm" (hurricane Sandy) hit them.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Recordbreaking hot year: "It's just El Nino.  It has NOTHING TO DO with the planet warming."
Next year not as hot due to La Nina: "See?  There's no warming!  Global warming is OVER!  It has NOTHING TO DO with La Nina."

Meanwhile:

In May, Berkeley scientists calculated that this year has a 54% chance of being the hottest on record, due to a cool spring.  This was before summer records were smashed.

NOAA recently warned that by the end of the summer, 50% of the Earth's oceans may be experiencing heat waves.  (Normal is 10% for that time of year.)  Not only is that very bad news for things like coral reefs and fishermen, that will exacerbate heat waves on land.  And will increase precipitation as more water evaporates.  And that evaporated water will, in turn, trap more heat.

Vermont and New York just got hit with a "1000 year storm" that flooded homes and destroyed roads in the East.  This, of course, is only 11 years after the last "1000 year storm" (hurricane Sandy) hit them.

How long is it going to take for republicans to understand that global warming is going to drive more refugees to the southern border?.....Just kidding its a rhetorical  question. Everyone knows republicans don't trust the physical sciences.

3 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

How long is it going to take for republicans to understand that global warming is going to drive more refugees to the southern border?

The smarter ones know that - and are counting on it.  Hating on illegal aliens gets them votes.  More illegal aliens = more hate = more votes.

On a related note, while the right wing continues in climate denial, businesses are certainly paying attention when their bottm lines are involved:

“Another insurer is leaving Florida, where homeowners are paying more than ever for insurance, despite the state’s attempt to shore up the wobbling market. On Tuesday, Farmers Insurance informed the state it was dropping home, auto and umbrella policies across Florida, potentially affecting tens of thousands of people. It’s the fourth company to leave the Florida market in the last year — most citing rising risks from hurricanes” ; Tampa Bay Times.

Re those marine temperatures I mentioned above - it's starting already.   Ocean temperatures above 96F have been measured near Florida.  Derek Manzello of NOAA: “We didn’t expect this heating to happen so early in the year and to be so extreme.  This appears to be unprecedented in our records.”

Expect a lot more of this this summer.

vs_ts_multiyr_florida_keys.png

5 hours ago, kallend said:

On a related note, while the right wing continues in climate denial, businesses are certainly paying attention when their bottm lines are involved:

“Another insurer is leaving Florida, where homeowners are paying more than ever for insurance, despite the state’s attempt to shore up the wobbling market. On Tuesday, Farmers Insurance informed the state it was dropping home, auto and umbrella policies across Florida, potentially affecting tens of thousands of people. It’s the fourth company to leave the Florida market in the last year — most citing rising risks from hurricanes” ; Tampa Bay Times.

i wonder if Farmers noticed those ocean temperatures before they decided to bail. Or if year after year of losses was enough.

"Property insurance rates in Florida are predicted to jump at least 40 percent in 2023, according to the Insurance Information Institute.

Mark Friedlander, the institute’s director of communications, said these increases come as Floridians are already paying more than homeowners in other states.

“Right now, Floridians pay arguably the highest average premium in the U.S.,” he said.

Friedlander said the average Florida homeowner is paying $4,231 for their property insurance, which is nearly triple the national rate of $1,544."

11 minutes ago, billvon said:

Re those marine temperatures I mentioned above - it's starting already.   Ocean temperatures above 96F have been measured near Florida.  Derek Manzello of NOAA: “We didn’t expect this heating to happen so early in the year and to be so extreme.  This appears to be unprecedented in our records.”

Expect a lot more of this this summer.....

It looks more and more like a Cat 5 summer. Meanwhile trump's legacy lives on in the USSC where trump appointed three of the six who struck Biden's measures in  "West Virginia v. EPA" to limit the federal government’s authority to regulate carbon pollution from power plants.

4 hours ago, billvon said:

Expect a lot more of this this summer.

vs_ts_multiyr_florida_keys.png

Certainly, I'm no chart but I can offer empirical dip your tootsies data. At least in Panama the water has been toasty. Ships instruments often showed 31° at anchor. Swimming closer to shore the water would often be noticeably much warmer. I will say that the corals, while relatively shallow, seemed in better shape than expected.

On 7/5/2023 at 7:16 PM, brenthutch said:

Is brent on a time-out? I mean, nobody was expecting anything comprehensive, but he was probably about to do some mental gymnastics fit for the Olympics.