1 1
JerryBaumchen

Jerry Springer Dead

17 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I thought he performed a valuable service.  People needed to see just how fucked up others could be.

Well, I'm not too sure about that.

There were times when my life was not super great.

But I never reached the point where I had to watch Jerry Springer (or any of the other ones like him) to be able to say "well, my life may be bad, but it's not THAT bad".

I never enjoyed seeing other people's misery, with a couple notable exceptions.

It was never the worst show around but I think it took an objectively bad and damaging approach to relationships and conflict resolution.

Though it’s more the guests I wonder about. I can’t imagine getting an invitation to appear on Jerry Springer, not being told what it’s about, and thinking it’s a good idea. Like, “well, I suppose if I’m going to be blindsided and humiliated it’d be great if it happened in front of ten million people!”

On 4/29/2023 at 9:29 AM, jakee said:

It was never the worst show around but I think it took an objectively bad and damaging approach to relationships and conflict resolution.

Though it’s more the guests I wonder about. I can’t imagine getting an invitation to appear on Jerry Springer, not being told what it’s about, and thinking it’s a good idea. Like, “well, I suppose if I’m going to be blindsided and humiliated it’d be great if it happened in front of ten million people!”

Some of these shows the guest get to fly on the airlines and spend the night in a hotel.  Something they may otherwise never get to do in their lifetime.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johnhking1 said:

Some of these shows the guest get to fly on the airlines and spend the night in a hotel.  Something they may otherwise never get to do in their lifetime.   

I have heard this perspective from people with drama disasters going on in their lives. A free weekend to Chicago is a big deal to a lot of poor people.

20 hours ago, normiss said:

I have heard this perspective from people with drama disasters going on in their lives. A free weekend to Chicago is a big deal to a lot of poor people.

They should have gone on Oprah, they could have received a new car.