NWFlyer

USPA Raises Minimum Age to 18... Whatcha think?

Doug_Davis

******Just placed a call to my carrier to see if they will carry me for skydiving instruction as well which Im sure they will. I will let you know what the cost of an annual policy is when they give me the quote.

What news on the Rialto?

Mark

I asked two carriers for quotes.
Had to fill out questionnaires about the training from program for instructors, emergencies procedures in the event of an accident, etc etc.
Submitted all the paperwork Thursday. Hope to hear something back next week.

It's been three or four weeks now. What were the carriers' responses?

Mark

This whole idea of a minimum age is bullshit! If the person can PROPERLY fit in the harness, and the TI thinks he/she is heads up enough to do the jump, what the hell is the difference? This rule, or suggestion or whatever it is, is just further cutting the throats of DZ's/DZO's across the country and further damaging an already middle man fleeced sport!
The market for kids in the 14 to 17 year old age bracket is huge!! There's an incredible amount of revenue that's being lost there!! If the parent is willing to sign for it, let them jump!!
Unless something has changed, the FAA is the governing authority of everything aviation, and they don't have a problem with it, or at least they haven't in the past! I mean, can the USPA do a ramp check? The FAA can!

>This whole idea of a minimum age is bullshit! If the person can PROPERLY fit in the
>harness, and the TI thinks he/she is heads up enough to do the jump, what the
>hell is the difference?

1) Legal - lawsuits. Waivers are not valid for minors in many locations.

2) Performance-wise - young children are, on average, less able to accurately judge risk.

3) Emotional issues - the death of a 14 year old has a very different impact on people than the death of an 18 year old

billvon

>This whole idea of a minimum age is bullshit! If the person can PROPERLY fit in the
>harness, and the TI thinks he/she is heads up enough to do the jump, what the
>hell is the difference?

1) Legal - lawsuits. Waivers are not valid for minors in many locations.

2) Performance-wise - young children are, on average, less able to accurately judge risk.

3) Emotional issues - the death of a 14 year old has a very different impact on people than the death of an 18 year old

1) And they are legal in some states, so USPA should not be putting themselves in the position of restraining trade. Not their job, not their business.

2) Then teens shouldn't be allowed to drive, snowboard, get piercings, or orthodontics.

3) Doesn't effect the ski or snowboard industry one bit, kids die on the slopes. They die in cars, they die flying in airplanes. Heck, they get killed at Disneyland! Should we raise the minimum age to ride a rollercoaster to 18 so there are no "emotional issues?"

USPA should stay out of the liability issues and get back to safety issues. New USPA motto: Safety third!

Jump more, post less!

topdocker

3) Doesn't effect the ski or snowboard industry one bit, kids die on the slopes.

In the state of CO, there is a law specifically written to protect the ski industry: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_22813161/colorado-ski-industry-enjoys-protection-from-law-waivers

I'm not aware of any state enacting such a law for the skydiving industry.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

3) Doesn't effect the ski or snowboard industry one bit, kids die on the slopes.

In the state of CO, there is a law specifically written to protect the ski industry: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_22813161/colorado-ski-industry-enjoys-protection-from-law-waivers

I'm not aware of any state enacting such a law for the skydiving industry.

There is no such law in Virginia, but we have ski resorts that allow minors to ski there. Of course, not coincidentally Virginia is where the largest verdict ever upheld against the ski industry was awarded.

I think you (a DZO) would be crazy to allow somebody under 18 to skydive in VA given our liability precedents but I do believe it should be up to the operator to make that assessment.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

In the state of CO, there is a law specifically written to protect the ski industry

In Virginia there is a law specifically protecting the equestrian industry. I'm sure there will be similar laws to protect skydiving as soon as it reaches the economic proportions of skiing in Colorado, and horseback riding in Virginia.

In other words, never.

- Dan G