ikebonamin

Line Over question..

It depends and I wouldn't say "stall."

If a control line is the line that is apart of your canopy/line entanglement then it is possible to clear the line with a smooth and full flare. However, it may not always work. The other side of the equation is that the line may have damaged the topskin of your canopy, something you may not be fully aware of until it is too late to cutaway your canopy.

Personally if I have the altitude I'll mess with a malfunction a little bit, BUT I have learned (and was lucky) that altitude awareness is the most important aspect in regards with trying to salvage a malfunction.

The last time I had a lineover, I tried flaring out of it, but much to my surprise the line cleared the "wrong way" leaving the left control line wrapped completely around all the lines and around the canopy. Needless to say that ended up in a reserve ride.

There's a reason why a majority of instructors teach a single malfunction proceedure to students. Muscle memory is built to ask "Is it there, is it square, is it steerable" and if not and is not a typically fixable problem (linetwists, collapsed endcells, etc) then the response is always the same. This keeps students and low time jumpers from going in while trying to practice rigging in the air.

So please, even though you apparently have a license, chat with some of the instructors and/or the S&TA (or equivilent) at your DZ about your options when presented with malfunctions such as a lineover.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>What if you stall your canopy when under a line over mal? Can this
>act help the mal clear itself?

"Stall" is really only valid when the canopy is flying normally, and usually with a lineover it isn't.

Pumping the toggles can sometimes help clear a lineover. If you are certain you have a lineover, it is generally unfixable, and should generally be cut away immediately. If you have the altitude, the canopy is at least partially inflated, and is not going to spin up too much (i.e. it's a very light loading or a 'small' lineover) you may try to clear it. If you do try to clear it I recommend pumping the toggles three times to see if that clears it. If it does not, cut it away. Don't get wrapped up in trying to clear it and lose track of altitude! Always ensure you have a good canopy by your decision height.

What if you stall your canopy when under a line over mal? Can this act help the mal clear itself?

lineover's usually clear themselves without you ever even knowing there was one.

stalling, or aggressively handling your canopy CAN clear one, but also can make it worse. plus, like someone else said, there could be other damage because of it...

if altitude allows, try to clear, if you do check for 3 S's, and proceed with whatever you need to.

On my only lineover mal, I was turning aggressively to try to do something with it, and the lineover cleared when I let go of the toggle - letting it 'snap' up to the riser. Unfortunately, when I let go of the toggles, I chopped it. A friend a little ways above/side of me, saw it clear immediately before I chopped. :(

I really wonder if it might be that a deep toggle input, followed by a release of the handle to let it go fast, might be the most effective way to clear a lineover?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Yes, I have used the "deep stall followed by flinging the toggles up" technique to clear several tension knots and one line over.
Mind you, I cleared that last line over at about 1500 feet over the Fraser River.
Wasting that much altitude - under a malfunction - scared me!

The bottom line is that sometimes you can clear a line over with toggle movement, but having a good canopy overhead by decision height is more important.

I was taught a lineover can more easily be cleared on a tandem canopy, on a sports rig just cataway, to prevent damage to the canopy and to prevent wasting time, because you're probably not going to clear it anyway.

How come on a tandem canopy it is easier to get rid of a lineover? Or is it?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yes, I have used the "deep stall followed by flinging the toggles up" technique to clear several tension knots and one line over.
Mind you, I cleared that last line over at about 1500 feet over the Fraser River.

You cheated me out of a great show ;) - I was just above you and off to the side a bit waiting for you to chop.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

I'd always thought if it was stable and steerable and I had plenty of altitude I might cut the affected control line and land on rear riser/opposite toggle.....
( I already have several landings just on rears and a few in the above combination.....not all standup, but all landed without incident)

Not something to be recommended for those of us with low numbers, including myself.....but if the conditions were as stated...me ,myself and I certainly would consider it over chopping.

Cant be much price difference in a new set of control lines vs a repack ( with maybe a lost freebag and handles)

I'd always thought if it was stable and steerable and I had plenty of altitude I might cut the affected control line and land on rear riser/opposite toggle.....
Not something to be recommended for those of us with low numbers, including myself.....but if the conditions were as stated...me ,myself and I certainly would consider it over chopping.

Cant be much price difference in a new set of control lines vs a repack ( with maybe a lost freebag and handles)

It's not always a control line... If I had started cutting a at my lines it would've been pretty expensive :S and probably an interesting ride too [:/]
And you need to know WHICH line to cut, not that easy. Look up a thread by Hooknswoop about an intentional lineover...

ciel bleu,
Saskia