Coat.

Gaps between AFF levels.

Hello,

I have recently attempted my AFF stage 6 but will have to redo the jump due to unstable exit with my legs up my bum (need to push them out more) which caused backsliding and a bit of panic throughout the jump. I will be doing a lot of ground training to improve my arch and legs.

The thing is, the next few (and last) weekends of December I am unable to jump due to family occasions and what not - being near Christmas and all. I won't be able to redo my AFF 6 until January, and that gap is a concern to me. When I had done my AFF 5 jump, it had been a month and a week gap but I still had passed that stage.

I think there was a lot of reasons I failed that stage. Due to it being an unlinked exit, with a new/different JM, not correct leg position and the past 2 jumps previous were out of a smaller airplane. The smaller plane had a foot step, which might change my exit position.

But my main question is, do you think that gap between when I last jumped (which was the 7th of this month). For me to jump again in January, that would be a month and a week (the same gap as I had between AFF 4 & 5). I'm not sure what to make of this. Has anyone else confronted this problem?

Ya know, the holidays have enough going on... Why don't you put this on the back burner and discuss it with your Instructors when you get back.

Even if they say you are good to go... If it makes you feel more comfortable; you can always choose to revert back to level 5 on your own and then move forward.

Have a good holiday..
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

When I was going through levels I had an involuntary wait of 3-4 weeks once or twice (weather at DZ historically not student friendly...). Here's what I observed:

First jump of the day you will be rusty, but I was fine after that. When I got to solos, first jump of the day I would relax, arch and just "go down the tube", so to say and enjoy the foliage. When I got the feeling back and stopped resembling a piece of plywood falling through the air, I would do some light tracking or something for the remainder of the jump. Try to string together 4-6 jumps in a single day if you can. If you don't succeed at a level, that just means you weren't ready to move on and needed an extra jump to knock the rust off, which is fine. Just remember - you're not the first person to not succeed on a level because of rust - I didn't get stable enough on one of my levels to get released following a layover. I fixed the things my instructor told me to do and redid the level that same day and passed. Once you get to solos you can go at your own pace and should be good.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Coat.

Hello,

I have recently attempted my AFF stage 6 but will have to redo the jump due to unstable exit with my legs up my bum (need to push them out more) which caused backsliding and a bit of panic throughout the jump. I will be doing a lot of ground training to improve my arch and legs.

The thing is, the next few (and last) weekends of December I am unable to jump due to family occasions and what not - being near Christmas and all. I won't be able to redo my AFF 6 until January, and that gap is a concern to me. When I had done my AFF 5 jump, it had been a month and a week gap but I still had passed that stage.

I think there was a lot of reasons I failed that stage. Due to it being an unlinked exit, with a new/different JM, not correct leg position and the past 2 jumps previous were out of a smaller airplane. The smaller plane had a foot step, which might change my exit position.

But my main question is, do you think that gap between when I last jumped (which was the 7th of this month). For me to jump again in January, that would be a month and a week (the same gap as I had between AFF 4 & 5). I'm not sure what to make of this. Has anyone else confronted this problem?

:)
Dude, I really want you to work on your attitude:)
You didn't "fail" a level !!!

And secondly anytime you get to jump and have a blast that's a good thing!

Just keep in touch with your instructors so that everyone knows it's been a month between jumps, get some practice in and start focusing on all of the good stuff that yo have done!

These are all skill building exercises.

So next time we can work on remembering to point your toes out and trying to get the feel of some pressure on your legs.

It's all good dude....

C

:)
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Quit being so hard on yourself.
Any jump you walk away from is a good jump.

When you return to jumping in January, just remind your instructors about your lengthy lay-off and ask them to do a complete review of freefall, landing patterns, reserve procedures, etc.

I'm with the guys above... its NOT failure. Failure is denting the earth. You just "did not perform to standard" which is NOTHING to feel bad about. The sport is inherently unnatural and if you were good at everything you just took up... well... you'd be rich, famous, and on magazine covers.

I can't help but agree that instead of trying to jam back into it and have to keep getting current you could take a little tunnel time? Then you could make your body position a little more natural and get back to the sky.

Anyhow, no matter what you do, you did not FAIL anything... you're progressing in an extremely difficult and technical sport. I call that a success.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

Thank you for all your advice.

I have the opportunity to jump this Saturday but deep down, I have a feeling I should wait until January. I think taking a break for a bit should be good.

After my last AFF 6 jump, I've been having trouble sleeping and I have been a lot more anxious lately. I have a 'rushed' feeling, as if I need to get the next jump done and over with. I've talked to my instructor, and he said he won't be at the dropzone until January either - so he is fine with that.

I just have to overcome the 'fear' I may have.

You can do that by jumping every chance you get. Don't put it off any longer! The more you jump, the more confidence you will build for your self. Hey, best wishes to you for everything you do! Take care, be safe.

Best-
Richard
IHS

rwieder

You can do that by jumping every chance you get. Don't put it off any longer! The more you jump, the more confidence you will build for your self. Hey, best wishes to you for everything you do! Take care, be safe.

Best-
Richard
IHS

Yeah, I always had better results when I did more than one jump in a day. The first one kind of woke me up and then everything on the next couple would be much easier.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Coat.

After my last AFF 6 jump, I've been having trouble sleeping and I have been a lot more anxious lately. I have a 'rushed' feeling, as if I need to get the next jump done and over with. I've talked to my instructor, and he said he won't be at the dropzone until January either - so he is fine with that.

You're not alone. I didn't sleep for almost a whole week doing my AFF stages. My mind just became restless. I was ready to throw in the towel a couple of times. 30 jumps later and I feel quite relaxed jumping, but I am still not getting great sleep the night after a jump, but it's improving. Hang in there.

I've talked to my instructor, and he said he won't be at the dropzone until January either - so he is fine with that.

You have only one instructor available/possible?

As an AFF instructor, as much as I was ever flattered by any of my students ever saying: "I only want to jump with you" -or- "only when you're available"... I would highly discourage that, and always actually in fact rather - suggest and encourage they jump as well, at least at some time during their progression - with other instructors too!

I would encourage you to do the same as well. Unless for some very specific reason, it is highly impractical. Or for you specifically, has been counter advised.

I'm having a similar issue.

I haven't jumped in around 4-5 months and I'm worried about how I will perform. Since my last jump, that didn't go exactly to plan, every time I try to make it out to the dropzone, I can't. I get hyped up the day before but when the morning comes, I just feel horrible and scared.

I fear on how I will perform and I dread the day I will have to cut-away in a malfunction. What holds me back is how my family would react if I did end up bouncing. I know it's a horrid thought and I don't like talking about it to other people but I'd hope you could relate.

I'm not sure what I should do. I really want to continue my AFF but I feel as if it's been too long since my land jump as that I might screw up again.

Stage 6, same as OP.

I haven't jumped in 4-5 months so I don't know how I'll go.

I knows it's a similar jump to stage 5 - but an unlinked exit.

2 360 turns and 2 docks, 1 180 turn, wave and deploy. I've been practising my arch on ground but still not confident in jumping. Should I just go back and do the jump because I think I need to just get over my fear of my previous jump. I don't think I'm cut out for this sport if I'm going to not jump for several months just because one 'bad' jump.

I want this really bad though. Really mentally challenging.

While I am not in a qualified position to advice you, I would strongly suggest you don't give up. Sure, you're not current, but it'll only get worse with time. Skydiving, especially with instructors, is quite safe. Your fear is just that, a fear.

In this thread a student talks about his disappointment with his AFF and the community comes and supports him. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4597874;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

edit: Read this too http://www.reddit.com/r/SkyDiving/comments/1pg601/to_someone_who_is_new_to_skydiving_and_wants_to/cd1zij4

Well, it's been a while now. I've finally decided to give it another shot and be persistent at it - I know I'm going to do well. I've booked an indoor lesson with 10 flights, and then the next day I'm heading to the DZ a day early to set up camp and plan to skip back a few levels; starting from AFF 4. Unlike the times before where I'd do one jump and head home, I'm planning on trying to jump as many times as I can over the weekend. A little nervous but that's more anticipation than nerves. Wish me luck.

Sounds like you have a solid plan for success, esp the tunnel time.
I would suggest doing a Level 4/5, doing 360 turns if you feel comfortable.

Don't let them rush you onto the plane, either. See if you can do an EP and landing pattern review the evening before you jump, so you can get a good night's sleep on it. Don't worry about the butterflies in your stomach. Most of us went thru the exact same thing as students. Arch, smile, breathe, enjoy. ;):)

Have you been visualizing in your mind how the new jumps will go?

John, this is awesome advice ... I've recently really been spending time in the plane focusing on and visualizing every part of the jump going successfully - and it works. My exits have been better, docks have been faster, I have less anxiety on opening, and landings have been smoother.

Professional athletes have been singing the praises of positive visualization for a long time ... now I understand why.
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them to fly in formation.

How do you visualize in such a nerve-racking situation? I remember on my past AFF jumps I tried to go over the jump in my head during the climb but I kept becoming distracted by looking out the door and feeling a sense of anticipation.

Funnily enough, on my last jump, (12 months ago) which was my AFF 6, my nerves were at a borderline level and probably at there lowest. The irony is that jump, being an unlinked exit, I lost stability most of the jump. Perhaps that fear and anticipation is a good thing. I'll be going to the indoor this Thursday - with 500 seconds of tunnel time. Can't wait.

Id guess your first jump back will be nervous…Even taking a few weeks off the first jump of the day is still nerve racking…but I'm sure the next jump after that you will be back to that baseline…if not further past that baseline if that jump went well.

As for how to visualize a jump, the best way is to practice on the ground over and over till you don't have to think about it too hard in the air. Most of your student jumps will be 2 or 3 moves, some a little more but nothing you can't memorize on the ground. Once you get on the plane chill out and enjoy the ride up after your instructors are done working with you, All you got to do is pull really;)

The tunnel will help you out tremendously so once you get through the door monster you should be fine.

Eventually you will miss the anticipation you have now.:)

I've had the same concerns, although a little different.
I passed my level 7 in April then had a bloody reserve ride on my first consol . . . Was too freaked to go up again & complete my consols & hop & pop (something I regret now) . . . The problem is I have left it so long it's going to cost a fortune as I will have to repeat levels!

It was much better doing jumps consecutively. I did 3-7 in one day & although a bit of a head f*** I improved so much each jump.
I had completed levels 1-3 the year before with long lay offs in between & it was MUCH better close together.

Good luck! In no time we will be uber confident (but safe) & having lots of fun in the sky on a regular basis! xx