Croc

Should D license requirements be changed?

This thread need a value pack of tissues

agreed - the only thing useful I found in this thread - which has been discussed about as much as RSL/AAD''s. is the attachement of the girl who won't get a pony. (laughed my ass off)

But, D license is a privledge - if you earn it you get it, you don't earn it you don't get it.

If we weakened the requirements for everyone that ever bitches about something everyone would be an honorary D licensed holder when you joined the USPA.

What's the difference between puppies and skydivers? Puppies usually stop whining after 2 weeks.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

This thread need a value pack of tissues

agreed - the only thing useful I found in this thread - which has been discussed about as much as RSL/AAD''s. is the attachement of the girl who won't get a pony. (laughed my ass off)

But, D license is a privledge - if you earn it you get it, you don't earn it you don't get it.

If we weakened the requirements for everyone that ever bitches about something everyone would be an honorary D licensed holder when you joined the USPA.

What's the difference between puppies and skydivers? Puppies usually stop whining after 2 weeks.

j

A driver's license is a privilege too. Do you think that a driver's test should be relevant to the tasks a driver will be allowed to perform after getting the license, or should it have some totally unrelated tasks instead?

And yes, I have a my "D" already.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

A driver's license is a privilege too. Do you think that a driver's test should be relevant to the tasks a driver will be allowed to perform after getting the license, or should it have some totally unrelated tasks instead?

Well, I had to learn to parallel park and I NEVER use that. Not in the 22 years of driving do I recall ever having to parallel park.

A D-license is not required to skydive, but a drivers license is required to legally drive.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Maybe the "A" license is the basic drivers license, the motor cycle endorsment "B", the CDL a "C", and the racing associations license a "D"?

Each one allows different things but the first is all you "need".
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Well I should be a base jumper but I think jumping off a building is not safe but the other A. S. E. I do all the time why cant I get my base number. Theres nothing different. Find the safest time and place and do them then you have your D.

This thread gave many reasons how nights could help you be a better skydiver but when you have ballidest your only going to see not doing it.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!

"ballidest" took me a second there:S.

Well, are you OK with not having a B.A.S.E. #, since you need the B portion?

I think the "D" license is not hard enough and needs to not be made easier.

What should happen is since the "C" moved up then the old "D licensed required" for certain things in USPA should now be a "C license required".

I am not a "I did it so you need to!" type, but I think the fix is already in place with the ristricted license, we just need to define what some one is restricted from.

Well, I had to learn to parallel park and I NEVER use that. Not in the 22 years of driving do I recall ever having to parallel park.

A D-license is not required to skydive, but a drivers license is required to legally drive.

Judy

Does your driver's license permit you to drive in Chicago? NYC? You'd certainly need that skill in those cities.

And if you need to do a night jump, you have to get a "B license - NOT A "D".

I'm confused now.

You said you do A.S.E. all the time, but now you don't base jump yet? Or did I miss read that?

I was just saying that is a person wants a B.A.S.E. # they need to fullfil the requirments.

I have done S. but do not think I should get a B.A.S.E. #, and since Iwasn't to thrilled with the lowness of the jump I probably won't. The 470' jump from a C-141 was low enough for me and yet I still did the S. as a part of a group (peer preasure wouldn't you know) .

If a person wants any license (Webster's deffinitions not with standing) meet the requirments or don't get one.

"ballidest" took me a second there:S.

Well, are you OK with not having a B.A.S.E. #, since you need the B portion?

I think the "D" license is not hard enough and needs to not be made easier.

What should happen is since the "C" moved up then the old "D licensed required" for certain things in USPA should now be a "C license required".

That's exactly what happened. Where were you?

I am not a "I did it so you need to!" type,

Apparently that is exactly what you are.

I was under the impression that some things are still requiring a "D" regardless, a thin example is the Parachutist requirment of a 'D" license to get a picture in the wings and thing section.

I beg to differ on the "apparently you are" comment, but it is always good to get feed back from some one who can see you from another prospective.

It helps to get a little of advice to aide in a bit of reflecting.

I think the "D" license has easy and reasonable requirments. I got mine after 26 months in the sport when it was 200 jumps and in the following 11 months jumped my ass off and earned my PRO rating. I can not count the number of times Buddy B. smiled and then said start over when I got 7 or 8 pre-declared landings and then blew it.

So in that regard, if my thinking that the standards are low and should not be lowered, deffines the "because I had too" attitude then I guess am.

But it is my opinion they shouldn't be lowered. For those who can't do a part for what ever reason, apply for the "R" and let the board decide. If one doesn't like the result, vote for a new board.

I was under the impression that some things are still requiring a "D" regardless, a thin example is the Parachutist requirment of a 'D" license to get a picture in the wings and thing section.

I beg to differ on the "apparently you are" comment, but it is always good to get feed back from some one who can see you from another prospective.

It helps to get a little of advice to aide in a bit of reflecting.

I think the "D" license has easy and reasonable requirments. I got mine after 26 months in the sport when it was 200 jumps and in the following 11 months jumped my ass off and earned my PRO rating. I can not count the number of times Buddy B. smiled and then said start over when I got 7 or 8 pre-declared landings and then blew it.

So in that regard, if my thinking that the standards are low and should not be lowered, deffines the "because I had too" attitude then I guess am.

But it is my opinion they shouldn't be lowered. For those who can't do a part for what ever reason, apply for the "R" and let the board decide. If one doesn't like the result, vote for a new board.

"Changing the requrements" does not have to equal "lowering the standards".

My suggestion is to replace requirements that have no obvious purpose and no metric for success with some that do - such as advanced canopy training. How is that lowering any standards?

I'd like to remind everyone that even if you totally botch the night jump, land in a tree and end up in hospital it still counts towards the "D" under current rules. Is that holding high standards?

Does your driver's license permit you to drive in Chicago? NYC? You'd certainly need that skill in those cities.

I've driven in Chicago many many times and never needed to parallel park. Seriously. I've just gotten lucky that way. And I even stayed at a friends house by Wrigley Field and never had to parallel park. I always drove a small car back then.

***And if you need to do a night jump, you have to get a "B license - NOT A "D".

Okay. But I never mentioned anything about night jumps.

Judy

...23 years in the sport and ya got THREE demos??:o

I made 4 demos in the past TWO WEEKS!:$

"MUST Be" because of the rating huh?;):ph34r:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Perhaps it's because I've only recently been "noticed?" As a part-time jumper, there are many opportunities for people to spend weekends at the DZ without crossing paths with me.

Of the people who have known me for several years or more, most might recall that I always seem to be landing real close to the target. They also know that, while my RW skills won't compromise anyone's safety, if it's a REAL important jump (where everyone needs to be in their slot at the right time) they should invite someone else.

Seriously, I spoke with the organizer a few years ago and had him on my radio show to promote a "Santa Claus" jump into town the following weekend. He mentioned back then that maybe he could use me, and has indicated he'll call me again. He also said that, while I don't need a PRO, it wouldn't hurt to eventually get one.

How many pre-declared landings do I need before I can qualify? I figure the three demos so far count as three of those jumps.;)

By the way, my "first" demo invitation was in 1997. The organizer liked my accuracy & canopy style (Star Trac.) He invited me to jump an air show near Atlanta. I declined due to a previous commitment, but thanked him and asked him to keep me in mind for any future outings.

The following week I had a streamer malfunction & cutaway to my round reserve. It was the pack job I would have jumped at the air show.:o

Of course, I steered that lopo into a small clear spot in a neighbor's yard. B| (A square would have landed me right on target, but pish tosh...)

Cheers,
Jon

(Ho humm... Routine landing right on target.)

23 years in the sport and ya got THREE demos??:o

Game, Set, Match, Mr Airtwardo.:)

That picture looks familar! :o

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

(Ho humm... Routine landing right on target.)

23 years in the sport and ya got THREE demos??:o

Game, Set, Match, Mr Airtwardo.:)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I'm sensing a degree of animosity here, but I hope I misunderstand.

Obviously, If I get a PRO I will be "officially" qualified to do more demos, and as a result I may receive more invitations.

My point is that, as a part-time jumper, I don't run in the circles that would have placed me on such a track earlier in my jump career. I average fewer than 40 jumps per year. Recent years have been dryer than most, making just over 30 total in the last two years. Except for the occasional overnight campout, my visits are brief: make a couple of jumps and hopefully arrive home before my wife starts getting annoyed. Several weeks later, repeat the process, if possible. Most of my jump career has been like this. I've missed out on many events, milestones, and the chance to build close friendships with other jumpers, but have still managed to enjoy my sporadic visits with the sky.

While I've known for years that I possess the accuracy skills to do many demos safely, it never occurred to me that I'd have the opportunity and I never gave the issue much thought. When I received an invitation earlier this season, it was a pleasant surprise. Being asked to go on two others was icing on the cake.

Sure, I wish I didn't have to wait nearly 24 years before being able to experience this, but I'm so accustomed to not being able to keep up with my peers I no longer think of this as unsusual.

Cheers,
Jon

Your D license is a prerequiste to becoming an instructor, to instruct new jumpers. A USPA AFF or S/L instructor will not be required to teach a jumper with 4 jumps how to do CReW, or wingsuit. He will be expected to send A licensed holder to appropate training schools or personal for thoes skills. An instructor can take a jumper all the way to C license, then someone like an S&TA will take over for D. But a person has to have a B license to make night jumps, SO>> I think that is why it is a requirment for Your D. Also lets not forget water trainig. Atleast that is how I see it, and why it is as it is.
A is a learning permit
B is night and water and coach
C is high altitude
D is instructor

I remember a day when you reached 100 jumps you got a C and a jumpmaster with out a test.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan