Croc

Should D license requirements be changed?

A single night jump is a C-licence requirement in SA

For those wanting to make more we have some restrictions

1st night jump - H&P opening after 10s
2nd night jump - Solo from altitude
3rd night jump cleared to attempt any jumps you can successfully complete during the day

Opening altitudes are raised by 1000ft during night jumps to allow more time to deal with a mal and generate more canopy separation. Jumpers typically stages openings by 500ft to reduce chance of collisions

It snot for everyone but night jumps can be fun

I think requirements should be changed,,,for example....some one has 800 jumps and has 2 nite jumps and water landings,,big deal, doing some thing twice hardly makes you an expert at anything vs a guy with 20 yrs of jumping with say 12,000 jumps but no water landings,or nite jumps,,,how's the expert ?

Wingsuiters should be a seperate rating,,,i enjoy watching wingsuiters but have no intention of ever doing one so does that mean i can never be an expert D jumper ?

Skydiver Ratings should be more like a pilots licence,,for get a-b-c-d,,,etc but go with a Basic license with add-on ratings...
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

dorbie

Perhaps its a holdover from military jumpers. Perhaps it's a confidence builder. Perhaps it's a test and a right of passage. Frankly night jumps are fun. Man up and get out the plane.

Not everything we do has to conform neatly into some useful training structure for a D license.

Maybe if you're overly concerned about the risks of a night jump then you're not cut out to have a D license. You don't HAVE to make night jumps, you can stick with your C license.

Who was this directed to--Stayhigh with SIX THOUSAND jumps? Really think he has a C license? (Although, why he should care, I don't know.) Really think he ever had to "man up and get out of the plane?" What is with you people?
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

chemist

I think people should have to do 3 naked jumps for a D license. 1st one you can wear underwear, 2nd one full naked and 3rd one has to be a naked tandem.

Naked tandems are very risque, but not risky.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

jumpwally

Skydiver Ratings should be more like a pilots licence,,for get a-b-c-d,,,etc but go with a Basic license with add-on ratings...

There ya go.

Croc

***Perhaps its a holdover from military jumpers. Perhaps it's a confidence builder. Perhaps it's a test and a right of passage. Frankly night jumps are fun. Man up and get out the plane.

Not everything we do has to conform neatly into some useful training structure for a D license.

Maybe if you're overly concerned about the risks of a night jump then you're not cut out to have a D license. You don't HAVE to make night jumps, you can stick with your C license.

Who was this directed to--Stayhigh with SIX THOUSAND jumps? Really think he has a C license? (Although, why he should care, I don't know.) Really think he ever had to "man up and get out of the plane?" What is with you people?

I replied to the last post in the thread at the time, what is it with you?
It doesn't matter who the heck I replied to, the point still stands.

Here's a rite of passage for you--low pull contests.

Maybe if you're overly concerned about the risks of a low pull contest then you're not cut out to have a D license.

Croc

Here's a rite of passage for you--low pull contests.

Maybe if you're overly concerned about the risks of a low pull contest then you're not cut out to have a D license.

:P I've lost many low pull contest over the years....
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

skyjumpenfool

:P I've lost many low pull contest over the years....

I hope you keep losing them!

Croc

There ya go.

My paragliding license does both, you get your rating, but you also get special skills listed like Cliff Launch, Surface Tow, Ridge Soaring. Each requires an instructor sign-off but they stay on there for the duration once you have them. Night Jump could be such a rating, along with many other disciplines. Camera, wingsuit, Freefly, Bigway, O2, Swoop. All the boy scout badges!