1 1
rapaz

hot glue tool MIL 6645

Hi , I want to ask any technical reason about why on the MIL DTL 6645 , specify this about glue guns ?? ....:

3.4.1 Assembly aids.

For Navy and Air Force procurements, hot glues are not authorized as an assembly aid.

any info will be great, Thanks

(edited)

one reason that I know of.

I bought a 7 cell canopy in 1981, a Bill Gargano (Spirit, 220 ^2 ft 7 cell).

Great canopy for the time.

It came WITH risers.

One first deployment I lost 1/4 of the suspension lines. The front - left riser's top attachment point had just be folded over and hot melt glued down, not sewn.

I missed that fact and so did any quality control at the factory.

Form your own opinion about why "For Navy and Air Force procurements, hot glues are not authorized as an assembly aid".

Edited by kleggo

I have no clue about the document you listed so total speculation here. But it could possibly be due to incidents/accidents being caused by forgetting to sew a harness after hot gluing. Rare but has happened (even in recent years) but it couldn't happen if it was never glued in the first place. I seem to remember hearing that some military are now also requiring contrasting harness thread for the same reason.

When was that document last revised?

17 hours ago, rapaz said:

Hi , I want to ask any technical reason about why on the MIL DTL 6645 , specify this about glue guns ?? ....:

3.4.1 Assembly aids.

For Navy and Air Force procurements, hot glues are not authorized as an assembly aid.

any info will be great, Thanks

The obvious thing is that nylon is sensitive to heat damage and glue guns have hot tips. 

15 hours ago, gowlerk said:

The obvious thing is that nylon is sensitive to heat damage and glue guns have hot tips. 

Funny you should mention that.

I never contemplated touching webbing with a hot glue gun. But you are correct in saying that it could damage webbing as quickly as a hot knife.

Early in my rigging education I was shown how to hold the hot glue gun tip a centimeter (1/2 inch) above the nylon and never thought about doing it any other way. The only time I ever touched nylon webbing with the glue gun, it slowed down and got awkward.

Another good habit learned early without understanding the theory behind it.

Edited by riggerrob