1 1
brenthutch

Black Gold

2 hours ago, billvon said:

I am so tempted to show the math on that, but then figured - what will it accomplish?  I mean, he's not going to learn anything from it, and everyone else already understands why that's so wrong.

It’s so wrong, yet I was so right.  Recession ended mid 2020.

13 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Actually, maths ability is unaffected by alcohol. That's a really lame excuse :rofl:

Bottom line, I was right about the end of the recession, Kallend was wrong.

Now let’s get back to talking about how right I was about how renewables were not replacing coal at a meaningful rate.

On 11/6/2021 at 3:02 AM, olofscience said:

But, he says he didn't even lose the 2020 one!

That's going to be interesting, since you can't win a presidential election three times.  Does this mean he will actually admit he lost at some point?  Or will he just ignore that whole issue?

(edited)
10 minutes ago, kallend said:

Apparently someone on my ignore list mentioned my name in respect to my mathematical ability.

Ha ha.

More like my lack there of ^_^

Your misreading of the situation was due to a lack of understanding of economics not mathematics.

Edited by brenthutch

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/17/global-demand-coal-high-electricity-plants-covid-economic-recovery

”Coal power is on track to hit a new global record this year after an economic rebound that could drive worldwide coal demand to an all-time high in 2022, according to the International Energy Agency.”

If Putin cuts back on natural gas to Europe we will see even more coal being used.  It would seem the dream of “peak coal” is just that, a dream. 

3 hours ago, Coreece said:

As long as the U.S doesn't get it, who cares!  Level battlefield and all that. . .or is it playing field, I forget?

What does that even mean? The long and short of it, is that coal is going continue to out produce  wind + solar (globally).  

Just now, Coreece said:

The rest of the world doesn't have to play by the same rules that the U.S does, it levels the "playing field" for other countries to kick our ass.

Oh yeah, of all the great things America is noted for on the world stage playing by the rules is way up there near the top. 

19 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Oh yeah, of all the great things America is noted for on the world stage playing by the rules is way up there near the top. 

Maybe you have not been paying attention, but the “rules” are set by America, so the rules are what we say they are.  Perhaps you would prefer China to make the rules?

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

The developing world doesn't have to play by the same rules that the U.S does, it levels the "playing field" for other countries to kick our ass.

We play by the rules as long as it's in our interest.  (Which, interestingly enough, is how pretty much everyone else plays.)

https://climatechangedispatch.com/off-the-charts-coal-prices-surge-as-western-nations-shun-russia/

“These prices are absolutely off the charts,” said James Stevenson, an analyst who tracks the coal industry at Oil Price Information Service. “This means people are really desperate for prompt coal delivery.”

Where are the “coal is dead” guys now?

7 hours ago, brenthutch said:

“These prices are absolutely off the charts,” said James Stevenson, an analyst who tracks the coal industry at Oil Price Information Service. “This means people are really desperate for prompt coal delivery.”

From a 'greenies' perspective;  I expect they're not disappointed that coal is expensive, only disappointed that it's not yet expensive enough.

12 hours ago, metalslug said:

From a 'greenies' perspective;  I expect they're not disappointed that coal is expensive, only disappointed that it's not yet expensive enough.

Same with oil and natural gas.  If $6.00 gas doesn’t get everyone into an EV, nothing will.  I suspect what actually will happen is $6.00 gas and the ensuing profitability will result in a boom of development which will drive gas back under $3.00 (post crisis) and everyone will just keep driving their big SUVs.

On 3/6/2022 at 8:54 AM, brenthutch said:

https://climatechangedispatch.com/off-the-charts-coal-prices-surge-as-western-nations-shun-russia/

Yes, wars can indeed change the landscape. Nice of you to gloat.

Just now, SkyDekker said:

Yes, wars can indeed change the landscape. Nice of you to gloat.

I started this thread last October.  Events in Ukraine just accelerated the trend.  A simple “You were right Hutch, sorry for calling you a dead ender” would be appropriate