DeltaKiloWhisky

20 jumps in, and I have a couple of questions.

First of all, I absolutely love this sport. I came from motorcycle riding as my main source of entertainment and thrill, and I havent touched my bike since I started diving. I spend every weekend at the DZ jumping, learning, and buying beer. Lots of beer purchases over the past 2 months.

I'm a bit of a larger guy, and I tend to fall fast. Ive done two four ways and I seem to be breaking up the formation because I fall faster than others. I'm a bit worried that this will continue, and people wont want to jump with me. I'm sure at some point Ill get the fall rate right, but I'm hoping to get that fixed quicker than not. Anyone have any pointers for a large fast guy?

Ive been looking into freeflying as something I want to start to get into, and I know that 20 jumps in is a tad too early to start messing around with stuff like that, but other than tunnel, is there anything I can do at my current stage to make the transition into freeflying easier?

Ive also been looking into gear recently. I have a full face helmet (better than any goggles Ive tried so far at keeping my contacts from drying out), and I want to get a suit and my own alti, are these something I should wait to get until I have more jumps in before pulling the trigger?

Lastly, my home DZ has been nothing short of stellar, everyone there is ultra helpful, very welcoming, and it feels more like a lovable but dysfunctional family than anything else. Ive been doing everything I can to help out around the DZ, and Ive stayed on top of the beer I owe, is there anything I can do on top of any of this to show my appreciation?

I cant wait to get up in the sky again.

Thanks!

Gear - An alti is something you can buy at any time. There are DZs that include one as part of the AFF package, along with a logbook and a pair of goggles.
A proper suit will help with your fall rate issues. Looser fit, slower fabrics, big booties, all those can help. Much of that depends on how fast you actually fall. The suit makers are the ones to ask about this. I'm partial to Tony myself (but I freely admit that it's a personal preference - there are a number of reputable suit makers out there). You might ask around your DZ and see which suits are most popular. Get in touch with the maker, give them some usable data to work with (borrow a Pro Track or similar for a few jumps) and they should be able to set you up.

Helping out/fitting in - Ask. Seriously. There is almost always a ton of work that needs to be done. Not the glamorous stuff, but sweeping up, dumping trash, that sort of stuff. Ask the DZO or manager or whoever is in charge (you don't say where you jump, and the bigger places usually have a handle on this sort of stuff).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Full face helmets are nice. Most of the current models have flip-up visors. Stay with those.

Like the other posters said, a custom jumpsuit can be engineered to slow your fall rate. Ask around. Also there are techniques for falling slower and for recovering from being low. Talk to an instructor.

You say you are a big guy. Honestly, if that's not all muscle, I'd look into losing weight. I've seen many people start the sport and decide it's important enough to them to drop the excess pounds. Just about everything in our sport is easier when you're lighter and more limber. This sport makes me keep my weight in check. ;)

Freeflying already? I'd stay on your belly a bit longer. Your freefall speed will be lower, you'll be able to keep a good eye on the ground, and you won't have to change body position to open your canopy. The opposite is basically true of freeflying, which makes it more of a challenge.

What can you do to help the DZ? Besides paying your jump bill on time, I don't know. But you could ask them. B|

JohnMitchell

You say you are a big guy. Honestly, if that's not all muscle, I'd look into losing weight. I've seen many people start the sport and decide it's important enough to them to drop the excess pounds. Just about everything in our sport is easier when you're lighter and more limber. This sport makes me keep my weight in check. ;)

Freeflying already? I'd stay on your belly a bit longer.

It seems my role on this board is to follow you around and agree with you. Sure, we have a few muscly tanks in our sport, but if you notice, most of us are pretty lean. Part of it because being lean makes the sport easier and opens up a lot of possibilities to us...but part of it is because the sport makes it easier to lose weight. How many times have you been at a DZ in the middle of nowhere, with no junk food within easy reach, and not wanting to break up your jumping day by going to get food? I'm not saying skipping meals is a good idea, but it keeps the junky convenience foods out of our hands. It means if you want a meal and want to jump all day, you're going to have to pack, might as well pack something healthy. Plus, as much as it seems like it's just falling out of the sky, it is a very active sport, from packing to dirt diving to the jump itself. I'm with John--lose a little extra weight and you'll find everything in the sport easier.

I'm also with him on the second point. I see so many people rush to freefly because all the cool kids are doing it, and can't fly in deployment position or track worth a damn. I got talked into buying a custom $600 freefly suit that I never use because it turns out I love RW. Wait 100 jumps and then see what kind of discipline you're interested in, because it may be something you didn't expect.
I'm not a lady, I'm a skydiver.

At 20 jumps, how are you in group jumps?
At that level you should be working on being stable solo or 2-way's.

Those jumps should be solo, with a coach or D-license holder.
The latter 2 should be qualified enough to match your fall-rate and on jumps advise you on how to modify your rate.

I'm 250lbs put the door. Everyone I jumped with would say hold eff you fall fast. I checked my vigil one day and it said 139mph top speed. That was all belly no tracking. Our awesome dzo chucked a very old but baggy jump suit at me and said fly this. My top speed slowed down to 119 and 124. I find that I have range now! And way better control too.

timrf79

At 20 jumps, how are you in group jumps?
At that level you should be working on being stable solo or 2-way's.

Those jumps should be solo, with a coach or D-license holder.
The latter 2 should be qualified enough to match your fall-rate and on jumps advise you on how to modify your rate.

To each his own. I started to teach myself sitfly at 20 jumps. Read a lot of Pat Works stuff. Took about 50 jumps solo but I finally got it down.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Hello DKW,

You got at least two people who suggested you to wear a proper jumpsuit.

Your jumpsuit is for you what the wings are to an airplane. Airplanes with a lot of total weigth need big wings.

When you choose your jumpsuit make sure to ask for :

1) Polycotton which is the less slippery fabric therefore a slow material
2) loose fit or baggy
3) a lot a fabric from forearm to hip
4) booties will slow you down when legs are extented
Some jumpsuit manufacturers have a software to calculate how to cut the pieces of your jumpsuit to determine the range of desired speeds depending on the data you provide (weigth, heigth, body measurements, type of jumps...)

Also :
a) proper freefall position (no arch exception when it's necessary) get checked in freefall by a coach or instructor for a flat position (arch position speeds you up)
b) test your speed in a wind tunel if possible
c) in the tunel ask attendants to show you a way to fall slow (extended legs and extended arms in front of you)

Note : Think about jumpsuit removable wing extention. Extension can be attached with zipper just like on the picture included

Good luck
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

erdnarob

a) proper freefall position (no arch exception when it's necessary) get checked in freefall by a coach or instructor for a flat position (arch position speeds you up)
b) test your speed in a wind tunel if possible
c) in the tunel ask attendants to show you a way to fall slow (extended legs and extended arms in front of you)
Good luck

I don't agree on (a). Maybe this works in a big way but in 4 way an arch helps greatly with stability and gives you some range to pop up in the blocks (depending on slot). If you learn to fly flat the whole time you will end up with habits to fix later.

Get the right jump suit that lets you fly naturally and not have to compensate. For similar reasons I don't like the little wings some people fit for 4way as the lift is not constant as you take grips

Point (C) is spot on. Get some tunnel instruction if you can in a jumpsuit you would use for skydiving. learn to fly slower but still have range to move up and down.