samdiggy2

Jump numbers and currency for a new jumper

Hi everyone, I have a few questions regarding jump numbers/how often you jump.

I'll try to keep this short as I know people on here dont like big walls of text haha!

My nearest DZ is around 2.5 hours away, and that includes a £50 boat and around 1.5-2 hours of driving, depending on traffic. I live in the UK and plan on doing my AFF in 2017 money-allowing, if not, then 2018.
The UK weather isnt great, and i'd be able to get a week or two off for AFF, but after could only manage to jump one or two weekends per month. Is this enough for me to remain very current and safe? I'd prefer to avoid recurrency jumps is possible.

My closest DZ is Netheravon - I've read about long manifests there - does anyone here have experience of the DZ?

I'd rather spend more on AFF than do Static Line jumps. I could learn in 2017 but rent gear for a while, or save for 2018 and buy more gear sooner. Would it be worth waiting a year for more money to buy gear, or just rent for a while?

If I only wanted one days jumping, beginning at around 8am, i'd have to leave home at around 5.30am - would it be an issue jumping when tired (relating to safety)?

Lastly, is there anyone here that is, or knows of a jumper, who travels far to a DZ and how often do they get to jump - or how much of an inconvenience is it travelling a few hours only for there to be rain or cloud?

Sorry for all the questions, Cheers :)

I don't know the particulars of UK currency requirements for students/ low number jumpers so I'll leave that for others with that knowledge to answer.

I will say this- there is a wealth of stuff you can learn on the ground during weather days. Also if you're not at the DZ you can't jump.

I'm not saying go if it's 100% thunderstorms. But if it's a little iffy but might be jumpable part of the day head on out.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

samdiggy2

Hi everyone, I have a few questions regarding jump numbers/how often you jump.

I'll try to keep this short as I know people on here dont like big walls of text haha!

My nearest DZ is around 2.5 hours away, and that includes a £50 boat and around 1.5-2 hours of driving, depending on traffic. I live in the UK and plan on doing my AFF in 2017 money-allowing, if not, then 2018.
The UK weather isnt great, and i'd be able to get a week or two off for AFF, but after could only manage to jump one or two weekends per month. Is this enough for me to remain very current and safe? I'd prefer to avoid recurrency jumps is possible.

My closest DZ is Netheravon - I've read about long manifests there - does anyone here have experience of the DZ?

I'd rather spend more on AFF than do Static Line jumps. I could learn in 2017 but rent gear for a while, or save for 2018 and buy more gear sooner. Would it be worth waiting a year for more money to buy gear, or just rent for a while?

If I only wanted one days jumping, beginning at around 8am, i'd have to leave home at around 5.30am - would it be an issue jumping when tired (relating to safety)?

Lastly, is there anyone here that is, or knows of a jumper, who travels far to a DZ and how often do they get to jump - or how much of an inconvenience is it travelling a few hours only for there to be rain or cloud?

Sorry for all the questions, Cheers :)

I will pipe up here a bit concerning weather since I live in Americas version of crappy British Isles weather in the Pacific NorthWET. During winter months I would take a long weekend and I would hop a flight 2 hours from Seattle to Eloy AZ... and jump my tail off all weekend then fly back to do the work thing
Take Friday off so on Thursday afternoon ...
1 hour drive to Airport...
1 hour to get thru security to the gate...
2 hours flight time
Rent a car and drive 45 minutes to the DZ.
Get up Friday morning for first load.... JUMP...
Sat Jump and jump and jump
Sat night have adult beverages
Sun morning make almost sober load....

Sunday afternoon.. catch last flight home and rack up more airline miles :ph34r:

I think in the UK there is a need to go back 1 level on the AFF course if you dont jump within 30 days (although I hope to do mine within 1 or 2 weeks if weather is good). Then as an A-licensed jumper if i recall from reading a while back you need a recurrency jump every 60 days. Then ofcourse the time-gap goes up with B/C/D licenses.

Thats a good point about learning though - I guess it cant hurt learning more about packing, or speaking to other bored grounded jumpers to learn haha!

A long journey but I guess it's worth it for good weather. I guess I could take a week off or a few days off and go to somewhere like Spain (I believe a lot of UK jumpers do this for better weather and more jumps).

I think when I become a new jumper i'd be buying so much beer for 'firsts' or mistakes that I'd have to have a few adult drinks haha, but i'd be sure to make the load in the morning.

Cheers for the info!

1-2 weekends per month, generally speaking, is OK-ish.
Sure, you won't progress fast, again generally speaking, and you won't be doing more advanced stuff that strictly requires very high currency, like big ways, swooping, wingsuiting, but that being said, if you keep up to it and don't let yourself drift away, take it easy and don't get in things beyond your level, it's a reasonable commitment to remain current and safe.
Again, generally speaking, then your actual mileage might vary.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

If you can regularly jump 1-2 weekends a month, that should be fine for maintaining currency. It will be more limiting for you as a student however, because students are more susceptible to weather holds. You will definitely want to go for both days though and grab their bunkhouse / other accommodations; a jump day mius 5h just for transport does not leave enough for you to get any useful number of jumps done.

Jumping when tired is a safety issue, just as any other diminished mental capacity factor. You can generally feel whether it's safe or not though, and as long as you're not pushing yourself unreasonably, it's not uncommon to be a little worn out. Regular jump adrenaline can help in the short term, a power nap can help otherwise.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

hello,

i jump at nethers and if there's a heap of tandems coming through then yeh manifest can be long, it's also pretty popular for AFF and such, during my levels i probably only got 2 jumps in the entire day, once i hit consoles it ramps right up though as there's less requirement for instructors and you only take up 1 slot instead of 1,2 or 3.

the weather has been a bit contentious for me lately with a couple of wasted journeys but that's the UK for you, if you want guaranteed weather, go do your AFF in spain or portugal.

i personally wish i'd done static line, i think it would of been cheaper but hey ho, i've only my level 8 to do now and i'm licensed.

what i would say though, is given the people who are based at nethers, home of APA, Red Devils, canopy and wingsuit champs, the guy who wrote the canopy handling manual is the CI, i cant think of anywhere better to learn in the UK (blue touch paper is lit, retire well back ;)).

oh yeh, you can camp for free, or pay a fiver for a bunk.

i live in portsmouth so could probably sort you a lift from time to time to save you bringing the car.

for costs - i reckon i've spent about 3grand so far, but a fair chunk of that was level retakes cos i'm a lousy skydiver :$

atb and good luck!

oh yeh on currency, from the BPA manual -

REVISION TRAINING
3.1. AFF and the Category System
3.1.1. Revision training must take place prior to a Student Parachutist’s first descent of the day. The type of revision training will be as required by the CI and must be recorded in the Student Parachutist’s Training Record Card or Log Book.
3.1.2. Should a gap exceeding 1 week and up to a maximum of 1 month lapse since the last recorded Revision Training Session, a practical and theoretical assessment (including exits and malfunctions) must be undertaken and if appropriate a written examination. This is to be recorded in the Student Parachutist’s Training Record Card or Log Book.
3.1.3. Should a gap exceeding 1 month and up to a maximum of 3 months elapse since the last recorded Revision Training Session, the basic training syllabus must be revised, including a written examination. The duration of this revision training will be as required by the CI. This is to be recorded in the Student Parachutist’s Training Record Card or Log Book.
3.1.4. Should a gap exceeding 3 months elapse since the last recorded Revision Training Session, the full basic training syllabus must be revised, or complete retraining may be required. This will be as required by the CI and is to be recorded in the Student Parachutist’s Training Record Card or Log Book.

I think i'd be able to manage atleast once per month, and i imagine i'd be happy jumping at that rate to start out with (I'm not exactly desperate to do competitions, swooping etc asap anyway).

If I end up moving to the UK mainland, in say 5 years time, I'd be able to jump more often but that wont be too soon.

I'd hope to book a week off for AFF and although Spain is tempting, i think i'd prefer to learn at the DZ i'd be jumping at most often.

Am I right in saying Nethers has the biggest LZ in the country? Can't complain if thats the case haha, I can imagine myself landing off on the first solo jump.

Good to hear there is accomodation there, I think that sounds like my best bet.

I wish I lived in Portsmouth, would make it a lot quicker and easier getting to the DZ haha!

I'm going to play, what we call in the US, the Dutch uncle..... Maybe you should either move or just forgo skydiving till it's more convenient. Sounds like it's going to be a major disruption in your life and financially expensive for the return on investment. I love skydiving, and was lucky to live about an hour from a great DZ. If it had been a lot further away, with a family and or relationship, the timing might just not have been right. It's important to be current, especially in the beginning and as you are learning good constant repetition is critical. This might not be what you want to hear so it really depends on why and how badly do want to skydive.
Dano

The thought of it being an 'inconvenience' has definitely been through my mind a lot of times, giving how far I am from a DZ. One side of me says 'do AFF as soon as possible'. The other side says move to the mainland (DZ will only then be an hour away, give or take 15 mins for traffic) once I have a more secure job/future/property (im 19 at the moment).

I do definitely want to jump solo but I guess I could even start at aged 25 (as an example) and then become a more current 'newbie', jumping more often and that still gives me plenty of time to do lots of interesting jumps in the space of a lot of years.

I dont have a goal of becoming the worlds best swooper or wingsuit proximity pilot, I just want to have fun doing some jumps.

I think maybe you're right in saying I shouldnt rush into things too early. One day i'll be up there though haha - cheers

It is common that when you first start jumping that adrenaline surges makes you tired. 3 or 4 jumps as a student in one day wiped me out (age 54 at that time)

Almost 5 years later.....I drive 4 hours to the DZ and 4 hours back home on the same day. I leave the house at 3:30 AM, at the DZ right at 7:30 and can get on the first load. I jump 5 or 6 times normally. If I jump 7, I start feeling it about half way home and that is not safe. I fly wingsuits and I think that makes me tired faster than normal belly jumping did.

I have paid attention to the weather forecasts and what really happened with the weather. I have learned when it is best to just stay home. I don't want to drive down for 2 jumps. But when the weather is good, I go, even if I just went last week. You never know when the next nice day will be.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Hey Sam,

You want it so much, go for it! You only live once. Be resilient and face the adversities such as weather and distance. You will only find out how much it is important to you when you start doing it.

After your consolidation jumps you will find out if you are going to stay in the sport. That's when things like travel distance and costs (of buying gear and progressing in your discipline) will hit you. Then you will find out how important skydiving is in your life. If is not that important, you will move on with your life with an outstanding experience of having done 20 plus jumps out of an airplane.

I did static line in 2007, and after 10 jumps I had to quit due to lack of money. Four years later I was living somewhere else and I did an AFF. I had to travel 3 hours each way by coach to jump because I did not have a car. In one occasion, I traveled that distance to do 1 jump due to weather holds.

After my AFF, I did about 60 jumps and stopped again for another 2 years, now because of work, which made me travel constantly, rendering impossible to stay in the sport. However, skydiving was always in my mind, every single day.

In 2013 I lived near a DZ and did a refresher training to jump again. Did a dozen jumps and then had to leave. Again. Not to mention most of my work was done on weekends, which limits the chance of skydiving quite significantly.

In 2014 I finally changed jobs and managed to settle down at 1 hour from a DZ. Now I am a current skydiver and glider pilot. I couldn't be happier.

My point is, I had several chances to quit the sport. I was discouraged by a lot of people. I was told I was wasting time and money. Well, the only thing I can say is, I will only live once, and I won't take a single penny to my grave. Today, I am a current skydiver and a happy man.

Save your money for 2017 spring and summer. If you can get a lift from Portsmouth, that's already a jump with rental gear you save on the ferry. Go for it!
Rob Gallo
"To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield."

I've always thought that even if I cant afford to continue the sport into years of jumps, I could still do the AFF and consol jumps to see what it's like and if it's possible for me.

It's great to see you didnt give up - even with breaks you're back into the sport!

The only thing that may stop me from getting licensed ASAP is the idea of getting a paragliding license soon (next year) then maybe do my AFF in 5 years time as an example. The reasoning is that I have 2 paragliding schools within 40 minutes of me (One only a 10 minute drive). It's a lot cheaper, and also I have plans within the next 5 or so years to move to the mainland (but still closer to the Island), meaning AFF and jumping would be more convenient.

I have written a huge list of pros and cons of me getting my Paragliding Club License or Skydiving A-License and it's a difficult choice (ultimately both are on my bucket list).

I think my choice will depend on my money situation next year, but either way I hope to be flying next year in an aerial sport of some kind!

Anyway, I really like your quote 'I wont take a single penny to my grave.' Definitely something I agree with!

Thanks for the reply and you serve as proof that ignoring people who put your ideas/plans down is a good thing!

samdiggy2

I imagine it's possible to get more jumps in once licensed due to less weather holds if winds are relatively high.

To an extent, but that's also a dangerous mindset.
If you don't have that many jumps, are barely current and using student rental gear, then even though you are "legally" ok to jump, you probably shouldn't jump in higher winds than a student would.
We go back to my first post, if you jump occasionally, you shouldn't consider yourself to be much further than a student with the stuff you allow yourself to do, even if you eventually rack up 50-100 jumps, IMHO.
The pressure of "I traveled a lot then I HAVE to jump TODAY", and since you have a license no one will likely stop you, is a great way to get hurt.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Sam,

another option would be to save up your cash then do an AFF course somewhere abroad. Spain has a bunch of really good DZs and if the weather is good there you can knock out your entire AFF course in a week.

It's not my favorite way of learning, but might make sense for someone in your situation as you could then rock up to Nethers, probably do 1 refresher jump with an instructor then be on your own.

There are issues with this plan, although it's a popular one in the UK. Making friends just by hanging around the DZ in off-time is a big factor in not reaching the end-of-AFF burnout that's quite common, so you'll have to make more of an effort when you do turn up.

I did static line and made a grand total of 28 jumps in my first year, and that was being at the DZ nearly every weekend. I did however learn a load about DZ operations, rigging, packing and everything else that makes a skydiver. It's not all about the freefall. :)

Hi, and sorry for the late reply firstly haha!

I have considered an AFF in Spain or Cyrpus (ive heard they do the same programme as the BPA). I looked on the freefalluniversity website, which looks tempting too with BPA instructors.

And yeah ofcourse even if i did get to the DZ and there was, as an example, high winds allowing for no jumping, i guess theres still lots to learn. And I understand that skydiving is a lot about the community too

The only thing is currently in my situation, I dont know if i could make it worth the money (£50 boat plus fuel money and 3 hrs travelling for maybe 1 or 2 jumps a day to start with).

I'll reassess my money situation once I have more saved up but am also now considering paragliding as I have 2 schools within 30 minutes of me, and I think the gear is cheaper (plus the flying would be way more convenient for me).
If the weather is bad, it's a case of a 30 minute drive home at most, and £5 fuel (both paragliding schools are on my old work journey), rather than £50 lost out on a boat plus atleast 4 or 5 hours wasted.

It's a difficult situation I am in but will look into everything in the coming months to see what's possible (never know I might win the lottery next weekend haha!)

Thanks for the info anyway, blue skies :)

Yeah I've read a lot that you learn a hell of a lot about weather and flying a wing (although I am aware a skydiving parachute and paragliding wing differ in many ways, some basics are the same) with paragliding which can give you an advantage over other students when learning skydiving. For me it's going to come down to convenience and money, but I plan to be either a qualified skydiver or paraglider next year. Either way I imagine i'll be happy to finally be flying haha! I have a paragliding school 15 minutes from me, and live near the sea, which is good for flying paragliders.
Cheers :)