1 1
brenthutch

Merry Christmas

13 minutes ago, jaybird18c said:

The model for marriage was established in Genesis 2.  Procreation being one of the reasons.  That's possible with Adam and Eve.  It's not possible with Adam and Steve.

YOUR model.

You keep forgetting or ignoring that not everyone believes the same as you.

55 minutes ago, jaybird18c said:

The model for marriage was established in Genesis 2.  Procreation being one of the reasons.  That's possible with Adam and Eve.  It's not possible with Adam and Steve.

But it is possible with Andi and Eve.  Sperm is easy to come by.  So does that mean that Jesus is OK with lesbians but not gay men?  It would not be the strangest misread to come out of the Bible camp.

Just now, billvon said:

But it is possible with Andi and Eve.  Sperm is easy to come by.  So does that mean that Jesus is OK with lesbians but not gay men?  It would not be the strangest misread to come out of the Bible camp.

Well, the Bible does say that for a man to lay with a man is an abomination.

I'm not aware of it saying anything about a woman laying with another woman, either for or against.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

this is the funniest video I’ve ever seen about how some people apply the bible. 
Not sure if the link works being age restricted. 

6 hours ago, jaybird18c said:

She told me that book is a misprint that got away from the printers by accident. She's okay with any sex at all between consenting adults. So stop repressing, go find a guy to experiment with.

5 hours ago, tonyhays said:

Why should anyone give a rat's ass about what the bible says?  It's biggest stories (creation in six days, noahs ark, the exodus, etc) are easily disproven nonsense.

By comparison, believing the presidential election was rigged, stolen and plagued by so much fraud that subverting the very constitution you fought for was reasonable would barely fire a synapse.

53 minutes ago, jaybird18c said:

Truth exists apart from belief. 

Correct. Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.

1 hour ago, jaybird18c said:

Because apart from it you have no hope.

Hope for what?
"Eternal life"?
Going to heaven?

Being saved from 'eternal damnation'?

Or simply the reality that death is the end of life?
It's absolutely amazing the lengths and depths of insanity people will go to in order to escape that.

9 minutes ago, kallend said:

Yes.  You need to learn to separate your beliefs from what is testably and objectively  true.  

Not gonna happen.

Jay has claimed that there's 'a preponderance of evidence' for the existence of God.

Yet, when asked to produce even one shred of this claimed 'evidence', he either falls back on the Bible, or is silent.

2 hours ago, jaybird18c said:

Because apart from it you have no hope.

And that is a great thing that you do not understand. Just because you would have no hope, does not mean I or anyone else would have no hope. Your faith tradition is far from the only one. I am full of hope.

17 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

And that is a great thing that you do not understand. Just because you would have no hope, does not mean I or anyone else would have no hope. Your faith tradition is far from the only one. I am full of hope.

Oh, I understand that you have hope.  Hope in yourself.  And your hope will eventually die with you.  I, on the other hand, place my hope in someone who defeated death, one who sustains me in this life and will carry my through to the next, one who interceeds between God and me, one who paid my debt in full, one who loves me, and one with whom I will spend eternity.

17 minutes ago, jaybird18c said:

Oh, I understand that you have hope.  Hope in yourself.  And your hope will eventually die with you.  I, on the other hand, place my hope in someone who defeated death, one who sustains me in this life and will carry my through to the next, one who interceeds between God and me, one who paid my debt in full, one who loves me, and one with whom I will spend eternity.

And I understand your fantasy. I was actually raised in the same fantasy. The point is you need the fantasy in order to have hope and to live a life of hope. I on the other hand have a full rich and satisfying life without the fantasy.

Edited by gowlerk

19 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

And I understand your fantasy. I was actually raised in the same fantasy. The point is you need the fantasy in order to have hope and to live a life of hope. I on the other hand have a full rich and satisfying life without the fantasy.

Hope in yourself.

Until it's over.

2 hours ago, jaybird18c said:

someone who defeated death

I thought he croaked on the cross and daddy defeated his death. Not so? While we're on to history that was not reported by prolific historians of the time, like Josephus, didn't Jesus ask his father to forgive his tormentors? I don't recall anywhere where Jesus on the cross forgave anyone.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Wasn't it "forgive them father for they know not what they do?". That doesn't sound like he personally forgave them which I thought was, and is, his whole schtick.

Jesus also declared "It is finished" just before he died.  The greek word he used was an accounting term meaning paid in full.