1 1
brenthutch

Firearm salesman of the century

(edited)
2 hours ago, jakee said:

Yes, therefore proving that it does not say what you said it says.

I didn’t say “it” said anything, I let his website speak for itself.....Let’s not trifle in the minutia, it diminishes Biden’s record shattering gun sales record.

Edited by brenthutch

7 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Um, unless one is ignorantly just lifting stuff off the internet to impress ones equally ignorant friends one might take a moment to be sure the words are properly capitalized. Just a thought.

<sigh> "Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres..."

7 hours ago, gowlerk said:

In pace requiescat

xD

7 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I didn’t say “it” said anything, I let his website speak for itself.....

That's a lie. You posted what you said Biden was going to do, then a little later you posted the blurb from his website to prove what you said was true. It wasn't.

Let’s not trifle in the minutia, 

That you wrongly claim Biden has pledged to confiscate sporting rifles is minutia?

4 hours ago, jakee said:

That's a lie. You posted what you said Biden was going to do, then a little later you posted the blurb from his website to prove what you said was true. It wasn't.

That you wrongly claim Biden has pledged to confiscate sporting rifles is minutia?

Modern sporting rifle = AR-15 platform 

http://congressionalsportsmen.org/policies/state/modern-sporting-rifle

It is better to remain silent and let people think you are uninformed, than to chime in and remove all doubt.

Pelo amor de deus, gente -- parem com as ameaças em latim! I don't know idiomatic Latin, but all foreign languages are alike, right?

That said, the conversation has moved on. Any more threats in Latin get a three-day vacation. All the past ones have gotten a warning. 

From the forum rules:

"Clever insults that attempt to get around the above (i.e. "I like rabbits" "anyone who likes rabbits and posts here is an idiot") will result in the same sort of bans/locks/thread deletions that a personal attack will."

The same applies to other unacceptable conduct, and I'd include Latin threats in that. And these constitute that.

Wendy P.

27 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Modern sporting rifle = AR-15 platform 

http://congressionalsportsmen.org/policies/state/modern-sporting-rifle

It is better to remain silent and let people think you are uninformed, than to chime in and remove all doubt.

Conservatives love making the "slippery slope" argument about gun rights. All the while, verbally turning the AR15 (which, according to this page in Small Wars Journal , was developed as an assault rifle for military use) from a military-designed rifle into a "sporting rifle", equivalent, say, to your average deer rifle.

While you could say that it's just the same as the minutemen having to use their deer rifles in war in the Revolutionary War, that's a little disingenuous.

Its flexibility of adaptation is one of its main strengths for military use. That doesn't make it inappropriate for sporting use, but it seems to be one of the main weapons of choice for people who want to be able to do a lot of damage in a hurry, since they can't get their hands on a fully automatic weapon. And while you could say that doing a lot of damage in a hurry is a good thing if the bad guys are attacking, that also means that you now have in your possession the means to do all that damage, which means that if you're not fast enough, or smart enough, or wily enough, or anything enough, then that bad guy now has your means of doing a lot of damage.

Kind of like saying "I'd never make that mistake" in skydiving.

Wendy P.

(edited)
4 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Conservatives love making the "slippery slope" argument about gun rights. All the while, verbally turning the AR15 (which, according to this page in Small Wars Journal , was developed as an assault rifle for military use) from a military-designed rifle into a "sporting rifle", equivalent, say, to your average deer rifle.

While you could say that it's just the same as the minutemen having to use their deer rifles in war in the Revolutionary War, that's a little disingenuous.

Its flexibility of adaptation is one of its main strengths for military use. That doesn't make it inappropriate for sporting use, but it seems to be one of the main weapons of choice for people who want to be able to do a lot of damage in a hurry, since they can't get their hands on a fully automatic weapon. And while you could say that doing a lot of damage in a hurry is a good thing if the bad guys are attacking, that also means that you now have in your possession the means to do all that damage, which means that if you're not fast enough, or smart enough, or wily enough, or anything enough, then that bad guy now has your means of doing a lot of damage.

Kind of like saying "I'd never make that mistake" in skydiving.

Wendy P.

The "sporting rifle" stuff is just camouflage because the SCHV round that the M4 / M-16 / AR-15 fires (.223 / 5.56mm) isn't suited for varmints or other game much smaller or larger than coyote. The round was designed to maim, not kill. It's a brutal reality of modern warfare that wounding is better, because logistics (and tech, coupled with well-trained troops) win wars. Therefore, it's worthless (and indeed quite cruel when used) against larger animals. In fact, the round is not allowed for deer hunting in my home  state of Washington.

So that (sporting) is not what it's about and shouldn't be shilled as  such. The 2nd Amendment isn't about ducks. The AR is a deadly weapon whose primary use is in warfare (I mean, you *can* shoot coyotes with the round but anything smaller than that is just going to be pink mist).

It shouldn't be hidden behind any "sporting" facade.

Likewise the "Assault Weapon" BS. To me it doesn't matter whether a  weapon is full-auto or not (even though ATF [actually "BATFE"] makes that a distinction). A semi-auto can spit out slugs as fast as you can pull the trigger,  perhaps two or three per second, even though you won't have much accuracy. If, however, your target is a large crowd and you're a coward with murder on your mind, it won't matter.

I understand this. I don't like it and I sure as hell don't like the gun-grabber lies about the entire subject, but I understand it.

That said, I read constantly about the number of shootings that take place in Chicago each week, not many of them AFAIK involve the dreaded "Assault Weapons". I think a big reason is just irrational fear, in the same way switchblades are illegal in many places. It's not because it's a particularly effective weapon from a practical standpoint, but it's a "scary" one. It's also an easy target for lazy politicians to point to.

The other part is the hypocrisy. Politicians and celebrities get armed guards and gated communities, while the rest of us have to eat shit. I don't like that either.

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, markharju said:

The "sporting rifle" stuff is just camouflage because the SCHV round that the M4 / M-16 / AR-15 fires (.223 / 5.56mm) isn't suited for varmints or other game much smaller or larger than coyote. The round was designed to maim, not kill. It's a brutal reality of modern warfare that wounding is better, because logistics (and tech, coupled with well-trained troops) win wars. Therefore, it's worthless (and indeed quite cruel when used) against larger animals. In fact, the round is not allowed for deer hunting in my home  state of Washington.

Wrong on many levels.  First, The .223 Remington is a rifle cartridge, originally developed in 1957 as a commercial hunting bullet for small mid-western varmints; with the first rifle chambered for it coming out in 1963. It has continued to be a popular civilian hunting cartridge.  The 5.56 is a slightly modified .223 in fact they can be used interchangeably in most rifles.  The.223 Wylde splits the difference.

Second, the AR platform can accommodate a variety of calibers barrel length and optics by swapping out the upper receiver.  From the modest .22lr to the massive .510 Winchester Short Magnum. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AR_platform_cartridges

10 hours ago, jakee said:

Of course.  Until the next claim comes along that is horrendous and "WHY ISN'T THE MEDIA COVERING THIS?"  And when it's proven false it will become "well, that's not the point, let's not get stuck on details.  The REAL point is XXX."  Rinse and repeat.

5 minutes ago, billvon said:

Of course.  Until the next claim comes along that is horrendous and "WHY ISN'T THE MEDIA COVERING THIS?"  And when it's proven false it will become "well, that's not the point, let's not get stuck on details.  The REAL point is XXX."  Rinse and repeat.

It has been covered 

https://www.air.tv/watch?v=pW3qNTSWSuqdYsQnLLsUoQ

2 hours ago, markharju said:

The "sporting rifle" stuff ...

The other part is the hypocrisy. Politicians and celebrities get armed guards and gated communities, while the rest of us have to eat shit. I don't like that either.

Wrong, as usual.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Wrong on many levels.  First, The .223 Remington is a rifle cartridge, originally developed in 1957 as a commercial hunting bullet for small mid-western varmints; with the first rifle chambered for it coming out in 1963. It has continued to be a popular civilian hunting cartridge.  The 5.56 is a slightly modified .223 in fact they can be used interchangeably in most rifles.  The.223 Wylde splits the difference.

Second, the AR platform can accommodate a variety of calibers barrel length and optics by swapping out the upper receiver.  From the modest .22lr to the massive .510 Winchester Short Magnum. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AR_platform_cartridges

Right. The .223 is second in popularity to the .22-250 for varmints. Varmints being gophers to coyotes. Its also the minimum caliber for deer in many US states although many define it as center-fire minimum.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Wrong, as usual.

Right. The .223 is second in popularity to the .22-250 for varmints. Varmints being gophers to coyotes. Its also the minimum caliber for deer in many US states although many define it as center-fire minimum.

I only know about Washington. I don't know about other states. It (the .223) is considered inhumane, and I agree with this. I believe there are much better rounds for dropping Bambi...I wish my big skydiving sister Amazon was still on the forum. She's been a deer hunter her entire life.