1 1
wmw999

Well no kidding

10 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

LA Times article on minority traffic stops

It’s probably true just about everywhere. California isn’t trying to hide it. I see that as a positive. If someone doesn’t admit the possibility of error, improvement is impossible  

Wendy P. 

I have no data but just making observations as I drive around, I'm sure Chicago is the same.

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

Ya, I've been telling you people what the problem is, but you won't fucking listen. . .

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Ya, cause people like you're still stuck in the 60s and it fucked up your heads.

And this, Dear Turtlespeed, is why you'll likely never again get to be the least interesting poster on DZ.com.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, airdvr said:

The data provided in the article is missing an important component...effectiveness.  What percentage of the stops resulted in an arrest?

Well, the reason for arrest can be arbitrary ("mouthing off" like Sandra Bland), but:

The report also found a disparity in consequences. While white drivers were more likely than black motorists to receive citations, they are less likely to be arrested. Black drivers were cited in about 37% of stops and arrested in about 15% of incidents. White drivers were arrested in about 11% of stops, but cited in a higher proportion.

Overall, drivers perceived as of Middle Eastern or South Asian descent were most likely to receive a ticket, with more than 60% being cited after a stop, compared with about half of white drivers.

So African American drivers were least likely to have actually been committing a traffic infraction (ergo the lowest citation rate), but most likely to have been arrested. They don't show the arrest statistics for the ME or South Asian stops, so we can't compare across the board.

But it looks as though DWB was, in fact, the reason for stopping at least some African American drivers (otherwise they'd be ticketed more closely in percentage to other visually-differentiable ethnic groups).

And I know that DWB is more likely to lead to being asked to exit the vehicle and searched, just from personal conversations. Would it be surprising if that fact were to frustrate and anger some people? Kind of like conservatives being attacked on their gun ownership?

Wendy P.

hard to say without all the numbers but, on the surface at least, it looks like the percentages for folks being arrested is pretty close, at least for whites and blacks at 11 and 15%.  that may fit into the error rate but again, without the numbers it is hard to tell.  i would say that although being black would get you stopped more frequently, the arrest part has more to do with warrants or other illegal activity which is comparable to being white, with maybe a slight increase.  i would have thought it was more than that.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The difference between an 11% arrest rate and a 15% arrest rate is over 25%. Over one quarter more blacks are arrested. Or 3/4 the number of whites are arrested, compared to blacks. 

What are the arrests for though?

Are they oustanding warrants or new charges?