dbattman

It's summer, but remember to tuck in your shirts

Jumping without a suit is quite enjoyable in the warm summer, but remember to tuck in your shirts. Getting it tight under the legstraps in front to prevent it covering your handles isn't enough. It can cause problems in back as well.

I caught a hand full of shirt tail with my pud last weekend and had a bit of a problem. Keep tugging or let it go and try again.

Keep tugging worked but best to avoid it all together.

Keep tugging or let it go and try again.

More than one person has died while they kept tugging. In the time it take for you to let go and make a second grab for you PC you can cover 1,000 feet or more.:(
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Getting it tight under the legstraps in front to prevent it covering your handles isn't enough.

What would you advice yo do?
I would put the shirt in my pants, and then put the rig on.
Would that be good?

By the way: one jumper at our dropzone just took an old rw suit and removed the lower parts of the arms and legs.
That works aswell I think

Make sure to tuck the shirt in a far down as it will go, hopefully to be captured by the leg straps. Some makers used to make a short leg suits. May still. But even though I like doing no suit jumps, even on hop and pops I'll often wear a jumpsuit. I consider it part of the gear. Not just for grips and control but to give you an interference free "base" for your rig and protection for unusual landings. Handles have ended up in shirt pockets too.:o

Or leave the shirt on the ground.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Your best bet is to just tuck in your shirt into your pants before you put on your rig. It's as simple as that. Doesn't require a lot of thought, just a little. Play it safe. If you forget to tuck in your shirt, take off your rig and do it. Even if you pull the shirt down around and under your leg straps the wind can catch it and pull it out.

If by chance you do grag a handful of shirt at deployment time... remember, once for you, once for me... Go SILVER! Don't let a T-Shirt kill you.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

Keep tugging or let it go and try again.

More than one person has died while they kept tugging. In the time it take for you to let go and make a second grab for you PC you can cover 1,000 feet or more.:(

Very true and thank you for bringing that up- try it once, try it twice.

In this case the shirt pulled loose out of my fingertips pretty quick and we were pulling higher than normal this weekend (know your altitude and all that). To clarify, the pilot chute partially extracted an unknown amount from the BOC and the piece of shirt interfered with full extension and throw. The other flash thought throught my head was letting go and having it flapping around behind my back. Not a good situation all around.

And I should have clarified tucking it into your pants, not the legstraps.

I call BS battman....The jump I remember, you didn't have a shirt on...you didn't even have pants nor underwear on...we have it on video.
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'll add to this thread that this weekend everyone will be doing crazy jumps and will be completely out of routine. I had been doing only tandem video and a couple of tame jumps for a long time because I didn't have an AAD. Then the weekend I picked up my rig after having the AAD thrown in there did a whacky dive, followed the leader low to get their opening knowing that I was getting low, grabbed a handful of shirt that I hadn't tucked in, fumbled, and just as I had an open canopy I felt a pop on my back...two out.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I'll add to this thread that this weekend everyone will be doing crazy jumps and will be completely out of routine. I had been doing only tandem video and a couple of tame jumps for a long time because I didn't have an AAD. Then the weekend I picked up my rig after having the AAD thrown in there did a whacky dive, followed the leader low to get their opening knowing that I was getting low, grabbed a handful of shirt that I hadn't tucked in, fumbled, and just as I had an open canopy I felt a pop on my back...two out.

Never do a dive with an AAD that you would not do without one. Its a bad mind set to get into.:S You are betting it will save you if you fuck up. Maybe yes and maybe no.:)

Never do a dive with an AAD that you would not do without one.

Then call me a pussy. I'm not getting on anything larger than a four-way belly without an AAD. I understand what you're saying I just don't think that most jumpers have a respect for it and they do things they'd never do without one. Yup, that's a problem unto itself.

>Then the weekend I picked up my rig after having the AAD thrown in
> there did a whacky dive, followed the leader low to get their opening
> knowing that I was getting low, grabbed a handful of shirt that I
> hadn't tucked in, fumbled, and just as I had an open canopy I felt a
> pop on my back...two out.

There's a good lesson there. If there are jumps you wouldn't do without an AAD, don't do them WITH an AAD either.

>Then the weekend I picked up my rig after having the AAD thrown in
> there did a whacky dive, followed the leader low to get their opening
> knowing that I was getting low, grabbed a handful of shirt that I
> hadn't tucked in, fumbled, and just as I had an open canopy I felt a
> pop on my back...two out.

There's a good lesson there. If there are jumps you wouldn't do without an AAD, don't do them WITH an AAD either.

Never do a dive with an AAD that you would not do without one.

Is there an echo in here?:S

Actually, that was more about doing a dive and not making the mental preparations and paying the attention that I should have. It was only a 5-way tracking dive and I took it too low. When I felt shirt on my hackey I should have just gone to silver.

But YES, people should not get on jumps in which having/not having an AAD is a factor. When I didn't have one there were so many people who were shocked. Seriously, give a fuck about the skydive, don't do big freefly jumps with new jumpers, don't fuck around and pull an 8-way into a funnel just to be funny. There are so many things that can kill or maime you in a skydive, an AAD will only do something about that one that just happens to leave you only unconscious.

Reply to Sparky:

Is there an echo in here?

Well, Billvon is a duck and I thought ducks quacking doesn't echo...?