skycop

More double standards, Body Cams

rehmwa

*** I would rather have actual video of what happened, rather than two conflicting verbal accounts from the two sides.

this - body cams are not a one side only protection.

1 - proof that lets us protect citizens from bad cops and abuse of authority
2 - proof that lets us protect cops from bogus accusations and staged conflicts

potential 2ndary uses I'm not in favor of (marketing, ad placement, blackmail, personal entertainment, political leverage, picking up chicks, facebook live streaming, etc etc etc)

2ndary I 'might be in favor of (refining police processes and policy, training, public relations between police and those they serve)

I find it weird when people argue for cams for one purpose and not both. Both happen.

agree

All it takes is an event,i.e. accident, court proceeding,etc. where you get involved with a good liar. To change your mind about cameras.

ryoder

I can see your side of the argument, but in the case of cops attending a demonstration, if things escalate, we have an armed LEO who is authorized by the state to use force. I would rather have actual video of what happened, rather than two conflicting verbal accounts from the two sides.

which causes more demonstrations and possibly escalations
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Every time you drive you're being surveilled by law enforcement. I'd wager when you're out and about you're being recorded more than you even know. It flies in the face of reason to expect LEOs to remember to turn on a body cam. They have dash cams on at all times. No one is complaining about that.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

One of the big issues with the Chicago PD and their bad behavior as a group was the 'Coach and Conceal' method of lying as a group to protect bad cops.

Some of the local PD that I have worked with for events in our city are good guys to hang out with and we've had some interesting chats - they have body cameras and the cops I know love them.

I think they're good for all of us.

airdvr

Every time you drive you're being surveilled by law enforcement. I'd wager when you're out and about you're being recorded more than you even know. It flies in the face of reason to expect LEOs to remember to turn on a body cam. They have dash cams on at all times. No one is complaining about that.

1. You probably shouldn't presume "no one." I know a lot of folks who aren't wild about the current state of the US security state. I'm one of them. I complain about it quite a bit.

2. There is a difference between what traffic cameras can gather from afar and what a body camera can gather close up. They are two completely different devices with completely different issues surrounding them.

3. Just because a lot of people in society have given up on privacy, doesn't mean it isn't a concern. Just because a person has to accept a ridiculous amount of surveillance in some situations, doesn't means it's acceptable in all situations.

4. We've done this to ourselves. Only we can fight it.

If the current surveillance state were even hinted at in the 1950s, there would have been riots against government intrusion. How did we get to this point? A ridiculous amount of fear over things that we probably don't even need to consider, yet are obsessed with like terrorism on US soil. No company, city, county, state, whatever wants to be the victim of terrorism, yet the odds of it happening to 99% of the country is so incredibly low it's not even worth thinking about -- yet, there are the cameras, there is the NSA, there is all of the wasted funding.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Perhaps surveillance cameras with facial recognition capability could be placed at the entrances to gun shops and ranges...

Then see who doesn't like their privacy violated.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This is much adieu about nothing.
All the body cameras I've worked with and observed are activated before an interaction, or when an interaction has begun. 100% recording isn't practical, can cause unintended consequences, and can be tactically unsound.

The mere fact the ACLU made an issue of this shows their duplicitous nature regarding police interactions. A public space is a public space, they can't pick and choose which ones or type where officers record interactions.

Most cameras are running, but not recording when powered on. The ones shown in the video record 30 seconds prior to activation, without sound when activated.
I can guarantee you if I was interacting with the "inauguration protestor" crowd in anyway, I'd be recording. Just standing around, I would not.
I'm not worried about me, I would be very worried dealing with professional protestors. There are many provocateurs in the perpetual grievance crowd, anytime I'd interact with them, I'd record for my own protection. I can say with relative certainty, because of the publicity of this, there will be that guy who runs up and asks if the officers camera is on. Then will attempt to incite depending on the answer.

There have been many times when I deal with an actual knucklehead you can't talk sense into, sees the camera and knows he can't get away with anything. Especially a frivolous complaint.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

skycop

This is much adieu about nothing.
All the body cameras I've worked with and observed are activated before an interaction, or when an interaction has begun. 100% recording isn't practical, can cause unintended consequences, and can be tactically unsound.

That's cool.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If nothing happens its nothing but data in a cloud that gets erased at some point.

Sure, just like when the government promised they would delete those gun purchase records.

I assume that no government data ever gets deleted.

- Dan G