brenthutch

Drinking from a fire hose...

is what the Dems will be doing, starting tomorrow. Powerless to stop Trump's Cabinet appointments and the dismantling of Obama's legacy, Democrats will be dependent upon a friendly press to slow down Republicans. This will fail of course, because the press and the left wing outrage machine will be too distracted by Trump's latest tweet to put up any credible opposition.

I'm going to need a bigger bag of popcorn.

I agree. The Trump camp has this down to a tea now. Fuck the facts and drown the opposition in bullshit. Just keep on piling on the bullshit faster than anyone can keep up with.

From a game theory standpoint it's sound strategy (regardless of how fucked up it is ethically). A lie only takes a couple of seconds to tell, but might take several minutes to debunk.

Just keep telling people what they want to hear and don't care if they call you a liar. You'll be a rich liar and if that's all that matters to you, you're "winning" like Charlie Sheen.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It takes a special kind of malignancy to derive enjoyment from watching 20 million people lose their health insurance. :S

Don

trump will have enough on his agenda dealing with fellow Republicans. Without worrying about any odd dissenting Democratic party votes or opinions.

From what the Sunday tv news shows had in the interviews with senior Republican leaders. Nothing will be automatic.

Phil1111

trump will have enough on his agenda dealing with fellow Republicans. Without worrying about any odd dissenting Democratic party votes or opinions.

From what the Sunday tv news shows had in the interviews with senior Republican leaders. Nothing will be automatic.

I do expect that much of the Republican agenda (as opposed to the Trump agenda) will be automatic. Removing billions of dollars of economy stifling regulation can be done quickly with nothing more than a pen and a phone.

brenthutch

***trump will have enough on his agenda dealing with fellow Republicans. Without worrying about any odd dissenting Democratic party votes or opinions.

I do expect that much of the Republican agenda (as opposed to the Trump agenda) will be automatic. Removing billions of dollars of economy stifling regulation can be done quickly with nothing more than a pen and a phone.

I'd certainly agree with the Republican agenda. Undoing regulations is not easy. All those special interest groups will be lobbying..i.e....crying like mad. They will all be trying to do end runs around trump, the house and the senate. To the public. to the courts, etc. etc.

Lobbyists are very good at confusing the facts and spreading the cash. There will be lots of party breaking/splitting votes.Did I mention cash all around.

I'm going to need a bigger bag of popcorn.

Make it a really big one. Or else you'll run out before the main event. Trump VS Ryan.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

brenthutch

Undoing regulations is easy, just stop regulating, cut the budgets of regulatory agencies and bury the opposition in the courts. Regulating is much harder, just ask Obama about his Clean Power Plan.

I suppose carcinogens in our drinking water is just the price we have to pay so the 1% can get even richer. And I have no doubt you'll find some way to argue that black lung disease is a good thing for coal miners. Well, either that or perhaps you'll argue it's just a made up liberal lie to further the "war on coal". Either way, we don't need any stupid safety regulations getting in the way of profits.

"Make America Great Again", or "building a bridge to the 18th century"?

Don

It's true. Regulations without enforcement are meaningless. And many, even most of the bad effects will take years to show up. Thanks, Donald.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

brenthutch

Who said anything about drinking water?

Ha! Right, we'll be drinking Brent shale crude from the firehose! And hurry with the Keystone approval. We're counting on you up here.

gowlerk

It's true. Regulations without enforcement are meaningless. And many, even most of the bad effects will take years to show up. Thanks, Donald.

The bad effects will may or may not show up, however the positive effects of deregulation will manifest immediately.

brenthutch

***It's true. Regulations without enforcement are meaningless. And many, even most of the bad effects will take years to show up. Thanks, Donald.

The bad effects will may or may not show up, however the positive effects of deregulation will manifest immediately.

Yes, of course. Because the only reason for regulations was to slow down economic growth. It's all about sabotaging the economy. Nothing at all to do with safety or health. Slay the dragons!

>Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

Given the improvements in the ozone layer, pollution levels in the US and improvements in drinking water standards in most of the US from those evil, hateful regulations, he's not wrong.

If Trump really works at it, maybe we can have another river catch fire before he leaves office! Or another Donora.

brenthutch

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

It's been a while since the Cuyahoga River last caught fire. Seems to me that he's right.

And perhaps you are too young to remember Love Canal.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

brenthutch

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

Well, yes and no. On the one hand I've been married twice. On the other hand, I've only had one divorce.

billvon

>Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

Given the improvements in the ozone layer, pollution levels in the US and improvements in drinking water standards in most of the US from those evil, hateful regulations, he's not wrong.

If Trump really works at it, maybe we can have another river catch fire before he leaves office! Or another Donora.

Just how does approving the Keystone XL pipeline cause rivers to ignite?
This hyperbolic, "the sky is falling," rhetoric, is just one of the many reasons I laugh at lefties. How in the world do you ever expect to be taken seriously.

brenthutch

Just how does approving the Keystone XL pipeline cause rivers to ignite?

No-one said it would. That kind of strawman rhetoric is just one of the reasons everyone laughs at you.

This hyperbolic, "the sky is falling," rhetoric, is just one of the many reasons I laugh at lefties. How in the world do you ever expect to be taken seriously.

Because they describe events that happened? The sky has never fallen, but without EPA oversight american companies have and still do pollute so badly that, among other things, drinking water is poisoned and rivers catch fire. It's a fact.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

***Just how does approving the Keystone XL pipeline cause rivers to ignite?

No-one said it would. That kind of strawman rhetoric is just one of the reasons everyone laughs at you

"This is why my colleague James Hansen has characterized approval of the pipeline as tantamount to "game over for the climate"" Michael Mann, Climate Scientist.

Yeah, as I was saying...

brenthutch

******Just how does approving the Keystone XL pipeline cause rivers to ignite?

No-one said it would. That kind of strawman rhetoric is just one of the reasons everyone laughs at you

"This is why my colleague James Hansen has characterized approval of the pipeline as tantamount to "game over for the climate"" Michael Mann, Climate Scientist.

Yeah, as I was saying...

First, what does 'game over for the climate' have to do with rivers igniting?

Second, if you're going to make a post marked as a reply to gowlerk that was actually a reply to comments by Mann and Hansen that have not been quoted or even alluded to in this thread then things are going to get very confusing.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?