brenthutch

Obama's legacy

rushmc

***>Wrong. The country does agree with him.

Incorrect. He lost the popular vote.

Wrong, he won the country.

Forests don't vote. Mountains don't vote. Lakes and rivers don't vote.

PEOPLE vote. And fewer Americans voted for Trump than for Clinton.

The EC will elect Trump thanks to rules created to protect slave states, but it's not accurate to say that the COUNTRY elected him.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This is a pretty stupid thing being argued about.

Trump has won the election (assuming the EC votes that way in the upcoming vote. I have no reason to believe that won't be the case)

More Americans voted for Clinton.

Trump won the EC votes required, but lost the popular election.

None of that is really up for debate is it?

SkyDekker

You must be new here.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

SkyDekker

This is a pretty stupid thing being argued about.

Trump has won the election (assuming the EC votes that way in the upcoming vote. I have no reason to believe that won't be the case)

More Americans voted for Clinton.

You are correct. And with that in mind, tell me who's going to be sworn in early next year, Clinton or Trump? With that in mind who won the vote of the country?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

tell me who's going to be sworn in early next year, Clinton or Trump?

Technically that is undecided at this point, but one can safely assume Trump.

With that in mind who won the vote of the country?

The country doesn't vote. The presidency was won by Trump in an election that saw him secure a majority of Electoral College votes. However, he did lose the popular vote by a significant margin, with more people voting for Clinton than for Trump.

billvon

***More Americans voted for Clinton.

You are correct.

That wasn't so hard, was it? Clinton won the popular vote. More people voted for her. Trump won the electoral vote.

correct. And therefore if we follow your logic through, Clinton must have been campaigning for the popular vote while Trump was campaigning for the electoral vote. How smart was that?
Abraham Lincoln

SkyDekker

***With that in mind who won the vote of the country?

The country doesn't vote. The presidency was won by Trump in an election that saw him secure a majority of Electoral College votes. However, he did lose the popular vote by a significant margin, with more people voting for Clinton than for Trump.

Your statement about the country not voting would be true if the popular vote decided the president. But it doesn't. The Electoral College is set up to basically level the playing field for the country. So that high density population areas would not dictate political ideology if you will. Therefore Trump won the country's
Abraham Lincoln

>correct. And therefore if we follow your logic through, Clinton must have been
>campaigning for the popular vote while Trump was campaigning for the electoral
>vote. How smart was that?

They were both campaigning for both, as almost all candidates do. No candidate wants to lose, and no candidate wants to enter office knowing that he/she does not have popular support.

The Democratic party has evolved into a bigoted, anti semitic, anti Israel group of left leaning liberals who have already done enormous damage to our country---much of which cannot be reversed even with the best intentions of all the new Republicans in power. But we have to move forward and hope for the best.

I laughed so hard at this it almost hurt.

What's this supposed damage?

Looking at Red States, the idea of Republicans doing anything positive I simply don't understand.

And it's amusing that someone's calling Democrats "anti-Semitic" when the "alt-right", who are actually wildly anti-Semitic, are the ones happy about Trump's win.

Why do Americans care so much about Israel anyhow? I mean, other than the really deranged apocalyptic fantasies of evangelical Christians, I don't get the reasoning for it.

wmw999

What makes a country?

Wendy P.

The people with the. Of course you knew that would be the answer. But then the next question is, how are those numbers of people divided up to create the Electoral College. And they're divided up in such a way that the country is beautiful the state to state so to speak and that's what the candidates were campaigning for the electoral votes that come from the division of the people in the country
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***What makes a country?

Wendy P.

The people with the.
What is the.?

Of course you knew that would be the answer.

Trust me, no-one knew that would be the answer.

And they're divided up in such a way that the country is beautiful the state to state so to speak and that's what the candidates were campaigning for

Thank you, Ms Palin:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

******What makes a country?

Wendy P.

The people with the.
What is the.?

Of course you knew that would be the answer.

Trust me, no-one knew that would be the answer.

And they're divided up in such a way that the country is beautiful the state to state so to speak and that's what the candidates were campaigning for

Thank you, Ms Palin:D

I should not try and post when I can't pay attention to it.:(
Abraham Lincoln

billvon

>correct. And therefore if we follow your logic through, Clinton must have been
>campaigning for the popular vote while Trump was campaigning for the electoral
>vote. How smart was that?

They were both campaigning for both, as almost all candidates do. No candidate wants to lose, and no candidate wants to enter office knowing that he/she does not have popular support.

I don't think you can honestly say that bill. If that were true Trump would have spent much more time in California and Hillary would have went to Wisconsin at least once. But if we're going to follow the popular vote theme you guys like to stick with, I guess we have to talk about how many states that Trump won the popular vote in compared to Hillary
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

But if we're going to follow the popular vote theme you guys like to stick with, I guess we have to talk about how many states that Trump won the popular vote in compared to Hillary

Why?

jakee

***But if we're going to follow the popular vote theme you guys like to stick with, I guess we have to talk about how many states that Trump won the popular vote in compared to Hillary

Why?

Why?
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***With that in mind who won the vote of the country?

Your statement about the country not voting would be true if the popular vote decided the president. But it doesn't. The Electoral College is set up to basically level the playing field for the country. So that high density population areas would not dictate political ideology if you will. Therefore Trump won the country's

There is no level playing field when a resident of Wyoming has 3x the influence on the outcome as a resident of California. The playing field is very deliberately tilted, as a result of a 230 year old compromise to get slave owners to ratify the proposed Constitution.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

rushmc

******But if we're going to follow the popular vote theme you guys like to stick with, I guess we have to talk about how many states that Trump won the popular vote in compared to Hillary

Why?

Why?

Yeah. Why?

I am on board with the electoral college but there are issues with it. The issues I have are 1) The laws that have been passed against "Faithless" voters. The college is made up of people from their own party and if those members decide for some reason to not vote for their nominee they should be allowed to. I was expecting to see some Bernie ballots being cast this year if not for the Faithless voter laws being enacted. The original intent of the EC was to allow the general votes to vote to give the EC voters a sense of what was desired but if the EC for some reason felt differently they could do that. 2) the establishment of the political party as a whole was not seen when the EC was enacted. Originally the President and the VP could be and were typically of different parties. Those two individuals then used their offices to work together to come up with platforms for the entire country. Once the tickets became "Elect #1 and you get #2 for free" that eliminated some of the voice of the voters and was again against the original intent of the EC. 3) is that the EC as it stands right now does not properly represent voters due to the disparity in the voters per EC member. If you look at Wyoming with a population in 2008 of 532,668 and its 3 votes that comes out to 177,556 per EC voter. California has 36,756,666 and 55 voters so its EC voter is worth 667,303 voters. Someone in Wyoming's vote is worth 5x as much? To make the math add up California would need to have 207 votes for the weight of their vote to be the same. I do not see that ever happening since the number of electoral votes needed to make sure every state had an equal voice would be upwards of 1700 EC votes. A whole new formula would need to be decided instead of just using the house and senate to determine the number of votes that each state is worth if we truly were trying to balance the weight of a vote so that all voters vote is equal in its volume. Since all states need to agree to the changes in the EC I don't see the states that have their votes amplified ever agreeing to change it. Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, DC, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming are all over 10% above the average weighted voter with being up to 318% and Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, New York, and Texas are all 10% or more under.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com