billvon

GOP asks Obama to protect them from Trump

Can't make this stuff up:
=========
New York
June 1, 2016

House Republicans Hope to Pass This Bill Before Donald Trump Takes Office
By Eric Levitz

Congressman Blake Farenthold of Texas once lamented the House’s failure to impeach Barack Obama. As of 2013, Farenthold was still questioning the authenticity of the president’s long-form birth certificate and, thus, his qualifications for the presidency. But now the right-wing representative is trying to pass a bill promoting free speech online before the illegitimate tyrant leaves office — because he doesn’t trust the great patriot he’ll be voting for in November to support his conception of the First Amendment.
. . .

“Obama will sign this. I don’t think Trump will,” the Texas Republican told Politico Wednesday.

But why wouldn’t the GOP nominee support legislation that prevents the powerful from using their financial resources to suppress free speech online?

After a New York Times business editor published a book that called his stated net worth into question, Trump boasted, “I spent a couple of bucks on legal fees, and they spent a whole lot more … I did it to make his life miserable, which I’m happy about.”

Trump lost that case. . . .

Regardless, Farenthold believes his bill protects Americans’ constitutional rights. And he trusts Obama — but not Trump — to sign it. This fact may have some bearing on the partisan squabble over which of these men is, in fact, a power-mad tyrant who threatens our democracy.
========

Let's see if Obama has more integrity than the GOP, who have refused to do their jobs until a new president is elected.

Opinion piece from the LA Times today.

Yes, it’s an opinion piece.

It’s also an opinion I happen to share.

I guarantee you if Trump had won the Democratic party primary I would fight him tooth and nail. This should cross all boundaries.

by The Times Editorial Board

It’s customary, once a candidate has secured a party’s presidential nomination, for former rivals and party elders to line up behind the victor. Of course, some of their endorsements are more enthusiastic than others, but generally it isn’t just about promoting party unity; typically, leaders of a party will sincerely regard their own nominee as a superior alternative to the other party’s candidate.

But there is nothing typical about the impending nomination by the Republican Party of Donald J. Trump. Trump’s willful ignorance, hair-trigger temperament and bigoted comments about women and minorities absolve prominent Republicans of any obligation to fall into line even if they agree with him on the issues. (In fact, on several points he seems to depart from the party’s core positions.) Party loyalty is no excuse for supporting a manifestly unqualified and possibly dangerous candidate.

Full piece here;
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-trump-gop-20160531-snap-story.html
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>A single Republican is not the GOP.

Correct - but he certainly represents their cause.

From Politico:
=============
The fight to curb litigation is a traditional cause for Republicans in Congress, who have long condemned Democrats and trial lawyers for engaging in what they see as a dangerous symbiosis. According to this GOP critique, the Democrats generate nit-picky and easily broken regulations that ensure a plethora of tort cases, which the lawyers reward by acting as one of Democrats' most reliable sources of political money — and, the Republicans argue, driving up the costs of doing business for the entire U.S. economy.

Farenthold's bill faces tough odds of gaining traction in a presidential campaign year that will see Congress out of town for long stretches of the calendar. But Yelp's Crenshaw said Trump inadvertently gave the bill a boost of support on the Hill when he proclaimed a desire to “open up our libel laws” to make it easier to sue the news media.
==========

ryoder

Yeah - Lawyers - Like Clinton and Obama.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

Who is the problem?
The litigants who initiate frivolous suits, or the attorneys they hire?
e.g. is Kim Gibbs the problem, or is it her attorneys we blame?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

turtlespeed

Yes, that's true. The work Obama did as a civil rights attorney, such as leading successful class action suits over discriinatory banking practices, show him to be a far more frivolous abuser of civil litigation than Donald "Am so building a skyscraper!" Trump.

Right.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

billvon

>Yeah - Lawyers - Like Clinton and Obama.

Would be interesting to compare the number of frivolous lawsuits filed by Obama vs Trump.

Are you meaning Deemed frivolous?
Perhaps Opined as frivolous?

Who gets to define frivolous?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

***>Yeah - Lawyers - Like Clinton and Obama.

Would be interesting to compare the number of frivolous lawsuits filed by Obama vs Trump.

Try all of them or none of them, I doubt it matters.

How many lawsuits has Trump personally filed vs how many did Obama work on during his entire law career (not just a community organiser, then)?

Who really, really likes lawsuits? It really, really is the guy in the toupe.

billvon

>Are you meaning Deemed frivolous?

That meet the definition for frivolous. For example, someone suing a comedian for making fun of him.

Perfect example: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/donald-trump-withdraws-bill-maher-432675

Come on, Turtle; Let's hear your defense of it.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

jakee

******>Yeah - Lawyers - Like Clinton and Obama.

Try all of them or none of them, I doubt it matters.

How many lawsuits has Trump personally filed vs how many did Obama work on during his entire law career (not just a community organiser, then)?

Who really, really likes lawsuits? It really, really is the guy in the toupe.

But they're great, really great lawsuits.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

quade

Opinion piece from the LA Times today.

Yes, it’s an opinion piece.

It’s also an opinion I happen to share.

I guarantee you if Trump had won the Democratic party primary I would fight him tooth and nail. This should cross all boundaries.

by The Times Editorial Board

It’s customary, once a candidate has secured a party’s presidential nomination, for former rivals and party elders to line up behind the victor. Of course, some of their endorsements are more enthusiastic than others, but generally it isn’t just about promoting party unity; typically, leaders of a party will sincerely regard their own nominee as a superior alternative to the other party’s candidate.

But there is nothing typical about the impending nomination by the Republican Party of Donald J. Trump. Trump’s willful ignorance, hair-trigger temperament and bigoted comments about women and minorities absolve prominent Republicans of any obligation to fall into line even if they agree with him on the issues. (In fact, on several points he seems to depart from the party’s core positions.) Party loyalty is no excuse for supporting a manifestly unqualified and possibly dangerous candidate.

Full piece here;
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-trump-gop-20160531-snap-story.html

The HELL you would

ryoder

***>Are you meaning Deemed frivolous?

That meet the definition for frivolous. For example, someone suing a comedian for making fun of him.

Perfect example: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/donald-trump-withdraws-bill-maher-432675

Come on, Turtle; Let's hear your defense of it.

Why would I defend him?

Why would I offer any defense?

I want to know who gets to define what a frivolous lawsuit is - that way I can track the information and give an answer closer to reality than what is offered by climate scientists.

I have no doubt that Trump has filed more lawsuits - he's a much busier guy than Obama. He multitasks an order of magnitude more than Obama is capable of.

The question was a quantifiable one. Or was it just another typical bullshit rhetorical question meant to belittle someone?

I have no doubt that Trump has filed more lawsuits - he's a much busier guy than Obama. He multitasks an order of magnitude more than Obama is capable of.

Speaking of bullshit rhetoric...

The question was a quantifiable one. Or was it just another typical bullshit rhetorical question meant to belittle someone?

Trump sued a guy who said his net worth was a lot lower than he claimed it was. Even though it is.

He sued a guy who said a tower he was planning to build might not get built. And it didn't.

Obama ever done anything like that?

jakee

Trump sued a guy who said his net worth was a lot lower than he claimed it was. Even though it is.

He sued a guy who said a tower he was planning to build might not get built. And it didn't.

Sure.

Let's compare the number of law suits filed vs the number of ears in business. Shall we?

Senior attorneys at the small firm where he worked say he was a strong writer and researcher, but was involved in relatively few cases -- about 30 -- and spent only four years as a full-time lawyer before entering politics.

So he works on 30 in 4 years.. .

Just to equal that The Donald would have to have been involved with about 412 or so lawsuits.

How many of the 30 were dismissed and deemed frivolous?

PhreeZone

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/06/01/donald-trump-lawsuits-legal-battles/84995854/ 1900 lawsuits as the plaintiff, 1450 as the defendant and 150 Bankruptcy/other

How an were deemed as frivolous?

How an of Obama's were?

Just to equal that The Donald would have to have been involved with about 412 or so lawsuits.

Haaaaaahahahahahahahah!:D

That didn't turn out the way you expected, did it?

turtlespeed

Sure.

Let's compare the number of law suits filed vs the number of ears in business. Shall we?

Senior attorneys at the small firm where he worked say he was a strong writer and researcher, but was involved in relatively few cases -- about 30 -- and spent only four years as a full-time lawyer before entering politics.

So he works on 30 in 4 years.. .

How many of the 30 were dismissed and deemed frivolous?

Lawyers don't sue people, their clients do. You are comparing apples to oranges, and have clearly lost the argument.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.