brenthutch

United Health Care to leave Obamacare

brenthutch

Hemsley explained that UnitedHealth will leave most states by 2017 because the markets for these exchanges are relatively small and also have higher risks for the company over the short-term.
As such, he said UnitedHealth (UNH) could not serve these exchanges on an "effective and sustained basis."
It shouldn't come as a huge surprise. UnitedHealth had previously said that it lost $475 million on the ACA exchanges last year and could lose another $500 million this year."

Progressive wet dream run into the brutal buzz saw of economic reality.

It was always designed to fail.

Single Payer System is what they have always been striving for.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

brenthutch

And your point????

My first point, as yet not addressed, was:
aphid

***Forgive me, but I would like to think that the US aspires to be a bit more

A bit more "what", exactly?

Liberal European social democracies living under Uncle Sam'security umbrella? The externalities born by the US, yada yada, yada...........fill in the blanks.

Yes, a lovely arrangement. With at least two sides to the symbiotic relationship. But we foreigners humbly recognize that any acknowledgement of the symbiosis would conflict with the time-tested (and incorrect) narrative that the US is the world's policeman.

Your military posture and multiple bases in allied and friendly foreign lands exist purely for your own national self-interest. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But for crying out loud, lighten up with the tiresome justification of a security umbrella.

brenthutch

And your point????
Liberal European social democracies living under Uncle Sam'security umbrella? The externalities born by the US, yada yada, yada...........fill in the blanks.

The point is that universal healthcare is within the grasp of the US. You lack only the political will to enact it. It is one of the weaknesses of the US, and unnecessary. Healthcare makes a nation stronger, not weaker.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

turtlespeed

***Hemsley explained that UnitedHealth will leave most states by 2017 because the markets for these exchanges are relatively small and also have higher risks for the company over the short-term.
As such, he said UnitedHealth (UNH) could not serve these exchanges on an "effective and sustained basis."
It shouldn't come as a huge surprise. UnitedHealth had previously said that it lost $475 million on the ACA exchanges last year and could lose another $500 million this year."

I don't believe it was by design. It was the result of compromise and practicing the art of the possible. But yes, it is destined to fail in it's present form.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

brenthutch

Yes, I am sorry, I would be remiss if I did not include
Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Germany, the UK, Belgium, Sweden, Holland, Denmark, Portugal, Finland, Spain, Switzerland.
in that illustrious pantheon.

I'm sure they would be happy with your considerate inclusion.

But for crying out loud, lighten up with the tiresome justification of a security umbrella.

History clearly shows that unless their leaders believe it will be easy, the USA is the last nation into the fight. They have always had a strong isolationist streak.

gowlerk

History clearly shows that unless their leaders believe it will be easy, the USA is the last nation into the fight. They have always had a strong isolationist streak.

Preaching to the choir, Ken. ;)

SkyDekker

*********It did already, remember, Obamacare was going to save every man woman and child $2500 every year.

It did for me.

so you admit it helps the rich

I wouldn't say that. It didn't help me at all, and I am rich.

Yeah, but you're an Australian so it doesn't count.

winsor

************It did already, remember, Obamacare was going to save every man woman and child $2500 every year.

It did for me.

Austrian....

gowlerk

******Hemsley explained that UnitedHealth will leave most states by 2017 because the markets for these exchanges are relatively small and also have higher risks for the company over the short-term.

I don't believe it was by design. It was the result of compromise and practicing the art of the possible. But yes, it is destined to fail in it's present form.

Those who wrote it have stated that single payer is the goal.
The current system can not and was not designed to work. It was designed to fail while running private health insurance companies out of business leaving only the nanny state to fix the disaster they created.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

gowlerk

******Hemsley explained that UnitedHealth will leave most states by 2017 because the markets for these exchanges are relatively small and also have higher risks for the company over the short-term.

You must not know much about Harry Reid then.

He tells conservatives that the plan wasn't designed that way - then tells the media something different.

The problem is that he is much more emphatic when he tells the media that it was actually the design and goal from the beginning.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

SkyDekker

***************It did already, remember, Obamacare was going to save every man woman and child $2500 every year.

It did for me.

Austrian....

Aah, Austrian, Australian, Swiss, Swedish - you foreigners are all the same.

Y'all talk funny.

Y'all talk funny.

Compared to Americans? I know you've traveled your country. I'm not sure how you can say that with a straight face! (But then again, I can't see your face.)

gowlerk

Y'all talk funny.

Compared to Americans? I know you've traveled your country. I'm not sure how you can say that with a straight face! (But then again, I can't see your face.)

According to P.J. O'Rourke, the funny noises foreigners make actually mean something.

For example, to say 'hello:'

In German one says 'Guten Tag!'

In Russian one says 'Dobrie Dyen!'

In Spanish one says "Tu Madre esta una Puta!'

See? I'm more sophisticated than you think.

From the HuffPo

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/unitedhealth-group-obamacare-exchanges_us_571554d9e4b0018f9cbade3b

"Those insurers losing money on the exchanges are likely to ask for larger rate hikes next year to compensate, requests that already are trickling in to state and federal regulators. About 85 percent of exchange customers receive federal subsidies that can shield them from premium increases, and the 2015 and 2016 enrollment periods demonstrated that exchange customers are prone to shop around and switch carriers to save money, which could limit the financial impact of higher prices.

But the remaining 15 percent of exchange enrollees and the estimated 9 million people who buy health insurance off the exchanges directly from the carrier or through a broker aren’t subsidized and will bear the full brunt of whatever premium increases are coming."

OMG who could have predicted it?!?

normiss

It's gotta be Obama's fault.
Back in the 80's, I had FREE health insurance for my family.
No "well baby" care mind you, but it was entirely free otherwise.
To me. ;)

Well...you should have re-enlisted.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

normiss

Remember hiring bonuses? or big bonuses?

Hiring bonuses?
Nope.

Well, there were the stock options Sun used to give me.
All of which went underwater.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.