ryoder

Do primaries matter?

I already knew about the Democrats "superdelegates" who are entitled to ignore the wishes of the people, but a North Dakota GOP delegate blurted it right out:

NPR: "What about the votes of the people in the primaries?"
Delegate: "Absolutely irrelevant."

Listen to 5m interview (no transcript): http://www.npr.org/2016/04/14/474185132/uncommitted-delegate-from-north-dakota-weighs-in-on-gops-system
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I already knew about the Democrats "superdelegates" who are entitled to ignore the wishes of the people, but a North Dakota GOP delegate blurted it right out:

NPR: "What about the votes of the people in the primaries?"
Delegate: "Absolutely irrelevant."

Listen to 5m interview (no transcript): http://www.npr.org/2016/04/14/474185132/uncommitted-delegate-from-north-dakota-weighs-in-on-gops-system

So - Bernie can win, and Hillary just walks in and over the people's choice.
And - Trump wins - and the RNC ignores it and gives Cruz the nod.

Doesn't seem much like any kind of just election I ever heard of.

It's certainly not what we are supposed to believe is real.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It is not an election. It is a candidate nominating process by two private entities.

Unfortunately, we'd gotten so used to the two party system that it has become, for all intents and purposes, a government run election.

- Dan G

Bingo.
I'm just finishing a book (Tomlinson Hill, by Ray Tomlinson -- recommend), where I learned that one way to disenfranchise voters after some laws about elections was simply to make the political parties whites-only, so there was no minority involvement in candidate selection. So yeah, you could let "them" vote, but only for a preselected candidate guaranteed not to "rock the boat."

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

No, I do not want either Trump or Hillary - they're both awful. Now that THAT is out of the way... ;)

What are each of their national polling numbers though? Isn't Hillary still ahead of Bernie by a few points (equalling a couple million voters)? Same for Trump over Cruz? Yes, the superdelegates for Hillary (as reported) looks grossly unfair. But except for small states like Wyoming, are the pledged delegate totals that far off of up to date results?

Trump's nomination may come down to needing to win the California primary. I picked up a stack of Republican voter registration forms and have been sharing them with like minded friends.

We'll be participating in the June primary as Republicans, voting for Trump. With Trump as the R candidate, the Republicans will lose BIGTIME in the November election.

The filth that is the current Republican party has been clearly exposed by Trump and Cruz. Trump is a GREAT patriot. He drove out all of the candidates that might have fooled the public in a general election, leaving the election wide open to the party that always has to bail out the country after the Republicans have majorly fucked us over.

GO TRUMP!!!

funjumper101

Trump's nomination may come down to needing to win the California primary. I picked up a stack of Republican voter registration forms and have been sharing them with like minded friends.

We'll be participating in the June primary as Republicans, voting for Trump. With Trump as the R candidate, the Republicans will lose BIGTIME in the November election.

The filth that is the current Republican party has been clearly exposed by Trump and Cruz. Trump is a GREAT patriot. He drove out all of the candidates that might have fooled the public in a general election, leaving the election wide open to the party that always has to bail out the country after the Republicans have majorly fucked us over.

GO TRUMP!!!

My brother and friends did something similar in GA, but voted to Cruz, to try to keep his tally high enough that he would get delegates.

I'm registered R in CA for the same reason, but I will not be voting for Trump.