wmw999

What is the difference

(Besides religion and ethnicity) between people angry enough to talk about violent means to "take back our government" and people angry enough to talk about violent means to "take back our world?"

People who feel as though they have nothing more to lose become desperate. I think it's better to have a world where people don't become as desperate; it's easier than a world where you spend all your time and resources suppressing people whom the world has made desperate.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

(Besides religion and ethnicity) between people angry enough to talk about violent means to "take back our government" and people angry enough to talk about violent means to "take back our world?"

People who feel as though they have nothing more to lose become desperate. I think it's better to have a world where people don't become as desperate; it's easier than a world where you spend all your time and resources suppressing people whom the world has made desperate.

Wendy P.

In times of plenty, it is easy to be benevolent.

When pickings are slim, it comes down to 'us' vs. 'them.'

Nothing personal.

winsor

***(Besides religion and ethnicity) between people angry enough to talk about violent means to "take back our government" and people angry enough to talk about violent means to "take back our world?"

Wendy P.

Nothing personal.

It's always easy to be benevolent.
Even when pickings are slim.

It's culture that has taught you to believe that it CAN or must be "us" vs "them".

Instincts can be out thought.
That is what logic and reason is for.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Two small differences that might make all the difference in the world to some. To people that have extremely warped senses of Moral Equivalency, not so much.

Difference number 1: One group would much rather do it at the ballot box, where as the other group would much rather do it by the use of terror.

Difference number 2: One group is fighting to keep personal freedoms and not really caring what the rest of the world does, while the other group is fighting to oppress and enslave the world.

Once again, there are people out there that wants to define group number one as the moral equivalent of group number 2, but these people are also trying to shut down free speech so they can say who/what group number 1 is so they can control them.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

turtlespeed

******(Besides religion and ethnicity) between people angry enough to talk about violent means to "take back our government" and people angry enough to talk about violent means to "take back our world?"

Wendy P.

Nothing personal.

It's culture that has taught you to believe that it CAN or must be "us" vs "them".

I reiterate Taylor Caldwell's assertion that 5% of the population think, 5% think they think and 90% would sooner die than think.

You give people too much credit.

winsor

*********(Besides religion and ethnicity) between people angry enough to talk about violent means to "take back our government" and people angry enough to talk about violent means to "take back our world?"

Wendy P.

Nothing personal.

I reiterate Taylor Caldwell's assertion that 5% of the population think, 5% think they think and 90% would sooner die than think.

I must be part of the 5%:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

************(Besides religion and ethnicity) between people angry enough to talk about violent means to "take back our government" and people angry enough to talk about violent means to "take back our world?"

Wendy P.

Nothing personal.

I must be part of the 5%:P

Which 5%? The 5% that think? Or the 5% that seems to be unaccounted for? (90%+5%. Where do the last 5% fall anyway?):P:P:P
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

normiss

Did you skip maths?
90+5+5= WHAT?
:D
Seems maybe you two are part of the second percentile.

Where I fall depends on how much coffee I had that morning....:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

normiss

Did you skip maths?
90+5+5= WHAT?

"What?" Is a word, not a number.

>In times of plenty, it is easy to be benevolent.
>When pickings are slim, it comes down to 'us' vs. 'them.'

The US lives in times of plenty. We have one of the highest standards of living in the world. Food banks are turning away some kinds of yogurt because they are too fattening. One of our top healthcare problems is obesity; another is that everyone drives everywhere instead of walking. We become angered when we can't afford a home instead of an apartment, or when electricity prices leave one unable to run their air conditioners all the time.

It is a testament to the power of political rhetoric that politicians have convinced people in the US that pickings are slim, and that they need to radically change their government lest they "lose out" compared to the rest of the world.

Yes indeed. The stability, safety, and abundance in our lives leaves us with nothing better to do to keep us interested than have these cultural struggles. America, and Canada are both rich. Even our poor are well off, unless they are too mentally unstable to figure out how to use the system.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

billvon

>In times of plenty, it is easy to be benevolent.
>When pickings are slim, it comes down to 'us' vs. 'them.'

The US lives in times of plenty. We have one of the highest standards of living in the world. Food banks are turning away some kinds of yogurt because they are too fattening. One of our top healthcare problems is obesity; another is that everyone drives everywhere instead of walking. We become angered when we can't afford a home instead of an apartment, or when electricity prices leave one unable to run their air conditioners all the time.

It is a testament to the power of political rhetoric that politicians have convinced people in the US that pickings are slim, and that they need to radically change their government lest they "lose out" compared to the rest of the world.

Well said.

jgoose71

Two small differences that might make all the difference in the world to some. To people that have extremely warped senses of Moral Equivalency, not so much.

Difference number 1: One group would much rather do it at the ballot box, where as the other group would much rather do it by the use of terror.

Difference number 2: One group is fighting to keep personal freedoms and not really caring what the rest of the world does, while the other group is fighting to oppress and enslave the world.

Once again, there are people out there that wants to define group number one as the moral equivalent of group number 2, but these people are also trying to shut down free speech so they can say who/what group number 1 is so they can control them.

She said violent means. As in "overthrow the government" not vote leaders out.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

turtlespeed

***Did you skip maths?
90+5+5= WHAT?

n*lambda = 2*d*sin(theta)

Do you have a problem with symbols that stand for numbers? It's called "algebra".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

******Did you skip maths?
90+5+5= WHAT?

Do you have a problem with symbols that stand for numbers? It's called "algebra".

Could you please describe or show me a picture the symbol represented by "What?" Is and its value?

turtlespeed

*********Did you skip maths?
90+5+5= WHAT?

Could you please describe or show me a picture the symbol represented by "What?" Is and its value?

Can you show me a picture of "theta" and "lambda", and give their values?

How about a picture of א-null and its value?

kallend

************Did you skip maths?
90+5+5= WHAT?

Upper or lower case?

Lambda - 11th letter I the Greek alphabet, has a value of 30
Theta - 9th Letter in the Greek alphabet has a value of 9

I don't know what a "א" is.

turtlespeed

***************Did you skip maths?
90+5+5= WHAT?

Upper or lower case?

WRONG in this context. And no picture.

Otherwise known as "aleph null". Tell us its numerical value and show us a picture of its value.

(Fact is, you were just being your usual silly self).

GTAVercetti

She said violent means. As in "overthrow the government" not vote leaders out.

Which goes back to shutting down free speech, so certain people can define who and what the bad guys are without any objections or counter arguments.

kallend

******************Did you skip maths?
90+5+5= WHAT?

Upper or lower case?

Otherwise known as "aleph null". Tell us its numerical value and show us a picture of its value.

(Fact is, you were just being your usual silly self).

You didn't specify context. You asked for the value. I didn't think I would have to show you a picture since you SHOULD know them.

But since you seem to need help . . .

Theta - upper and lower case

Lambda - upper and lower case

And yes, and the person to whom I was conversing with actually got the joke.:)
Sorry you lag so far behind.[:/]

"shutting down free speech" /= "showing that you disapprove of what was said."

You're free to say all that crap. It's just that there are now consequences, like disapproval, for it, and maybe even limitations on where you can say that crap. Didn't used to be that way -- all "those people" didn't have enough power to object in any rational way.

Black opinions matter, too. So do muslim ones, hispanic ones, white ones, and all the others. Makes life harder, but, well, that's life.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)