kallend

Zika

gowlerk

Since there are something like 6000 "gods" worshiped around the world, how is it that any of them are right?

They are all equally right, and equally wrong.

Equally right in "Your God doesn't exist"?

Equally wrong in "My God is the only true God?"

Agreed.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

billvon

>Equally right in "Your God doesn't exist"?

Not quite. No one can make the above statement with any certainty.

If you have 100 people that each believe in a different deity, and each claims that all the others are wrong, I submit that each is accurate in the latter assessment.

billvon

God is like Elvis, She is everywhere. She is in everything. Some people can only see Her in a few places, but She is universal. (BTW, God does not really have a gender, why would the creator have need of gender? I just choose feminine pronouns as a personal choice, I like the idea.) So therefore, all the Gods that people worship are real, to them.

You can choose differently as you like. I'm making this all up as I go. And it is as valid as anyone else's belief.

One belief that I find particularly absurd is that God created man in His own image. Just how conceited does a man have to be to make that up?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***>Equally right in "Your God doesn't exist"?

God is like Elvis, She is everywhere. She is in everything. Some people can only see Her in a few places, but She is universal. (BTW, God does not really have a gender, why would the creator have need of gender? I just choose feminine pronouns as a personal choice, I like the idea.) So therefore, all the Gods that people worship are real, to them.

You can choose differently as you like. I'm making this all up as I go. And it is as valid as anyone else's belief.

One belief that I find particularly absurd is that God created man in His own image. Just how conceited does a man have to be to make that up?

Elvis has left the building.

headoverheels

Not as egotistical as to think that God has any interest in our daily activities.

The world is just God's lego toy set, or like a model railway. She looks down from her heavenly perch and runs it like a conductor. Hey, wait a minute, no wonder male pronouns are normally use to refer to Her!
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

billvon

We could use Bayes Theorem to calculate the conditional probability for the existence of any of the 6,000 gods referred to.

Of course, the evidence for the existence of any of them is exactly the same - ZERO.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>If you have 100 people that each believe in a different deity, and each claims that all
>the others are wrong, I submit that each is accurate in the latter assessment.

But if you have 100 people with different beliefs, but also think that other people may be just as right, they would be equally accurate.

Since reality is somewhere between the two extremes, you can't say either with certainty.

billvon

>If you have 100 people that each believe in a different deity, and each claims that all

But if you have 100 people with different beliefs, but also think that other people may be just as right, they would be equally accurate.

Since reality is somewhere between the two extremes, you can't say either with certainty.

There is a finite likelihood that a book on my shelf will undergo a spontaneous chain reaction and cause a nuclear explosion.

This likelihood rounds of to any significant digits to zero. This likelihood is, however, many orders of magnitude greater than the likelihood that anything resembling any common definition of a deity exists.

Calling bullshit is thus not a stretch.

winsor

***>If you have 100 people that each believe in a different deity, and each claims that all

There is a finite likelihood that a book on my shelf will undergo a spontaneous chain reaction and cause a nuclear explosion.

This likelihood rounds of to any significant digits to zero.

Having met you, I think you seriously underestimate the likelihood for a book on YOUR shelf.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

DanG

***We were essentially talking about an instinct that predisposes one to acknowledge the possibility of a deity. You said that if people didn't independently come to the same conclusion, it would prove that the deity didn't exist. I'm simply asking you to explain that logic.

The logic is pretty clear. If, as you believe, Man has an innate desire to search for God

I didn't say that there was an innate desire to search for God. I said that the concept of God and/or acknowledging the possibility of a deity was innate.

For example, if I observe creation I might instinctively acknowledge a creator. If I see the beauty and complexity of life, I might instinctively acknowledge an intelligent creator. If I suddenly find myself in dire straits, I may instinctively - on a whim - pray to that creator for help whether I actually believe in that creator or not.

Perhaps a better example for you is from an NPR story awhile back about an atheist/scientist Jesse Bering.

Shortly after his mother died he heard the distinctive sound of some wind chimes:

Jesse Bearing - NPR

"It seemed to me ... that she was somehow telling us that she had made it to the other side. You know, cleared customs in heaven."

The thought surprised him...He did not believe in any kind of supernatural anything. He prided himself on being a scientist, a psychologist who believed only in the measurable material world. But, he says, he simply couldn't help himself.

"My mind went there. It leapt there," Bering says. "And from a psychological perspective, this was really interesting to me. Because I didn't believe it on the one hand, but on the other hand I experienced it."

Why is it, Bering wondered, that even a determined skeptic could not stop himself from perceiving the supernatural? It really bothered him.

DanG

If he were real and omnipresent, and Man had the ability to feel his presence

What does that mean, "to feel his presence?"

DanG

people all over the globe should have felt his presence in the same way since the dawn of time. They don't.

Perhaps we do feel it the same way, but since we're essentially talking about defining personal spirituality through the subjectivity of physical feelings and emotions, you shouldn't be surprised if the conclusions from these experiences differ, especially since most of us don't seem to experience direct and/or identical revelations from God to start with.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

wolfriverjoe

Ok, here is the question posed above by DanG:

yadi, yadi, yada...

Sigh...

Since you insist, I went back and replied to Dan's question in the post above.

You mention the beginning of the NPR story involving Jesse Bering.

You left out the 2nd part.

The part where he looked at the evolutionary (survival) value of believing in a God.
Which turned out to be pretty high. That belief had serious and valuable consequences.

It doesn't make God any more (or less) real. It just offers an explanation as to why that belief structure seems to be "hard wired" into our brains.

Sort of like pattern recognition.

We now see faces in clouds and stuff like that. That ability is a direct carryover from the ability to recognize camouflaged predators that were hunting people. We've taken the ability to spot a tiger in the brush to "There was a civilization on Mars!!!"
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

You mention the beginning of the NPR story involving Jesse Bering.

You left out the 2nd part.

The part where he looked at the evolutionary (survival) value of believing in a God.
Which turned out to be pretty high. That belief had serious and valuable consequences.

It doesn't make God any more (or less) real. It just offers an explanation as to why that belief structure seems to be "hard wired" into our brains.

Just as I suspected.

You and Dan seem to be under the impression that I was using this to somehow give validity to my flavor of religion or prove the existence of God. I wasn't - which is why I didn't offer up any specifics about my faith. Dan is the one that interjected my beliefs into the conversation and offered up false assumptions in an attempt to trample underfoot something that I hold very dear to my heart.

This instinct doesn't prove God's existence anymore than the varying experiences derived from that instinct prove his non-existence, as Dan suggested.

billvon

>This instinct doesn't prove God's existence . . . .

Correct. It just gives an explanation of why people would come up with a God, whether or not God exists.

Or even whether or not you actually believe in him - as I stated in the second paragraph of post 64.

My point is that people are born this way, yet people still mock religious belief. Don't they know that if you mock people in today's society for the way they are born, you'll be labeled a bigot that suffers from various phobias?

Yes, I find the Chris Hutchins angry in your face atheism, the kind of people who feel obligated to try to show how foolish belief is, to be just as irritating as those selling religion.

Faith and God can not be proved, and it also can't be disproved. Believe anything you want. My God will judge you on your behavior, not your belief.

gowlerk

Yes, I find the Chris Hutchins angry in your face atheism, the kind of people who feel obligated to try to show how foolish belief is, to be just as irritating as those selling religion.

I still don't think there's anything wrong with sharing your perspective on belief, or lack thereof. Prior to my acceptance of Christianity at 27, I explored a variety of religious texts and entertained various spiritual ideas. Ultimately, it was the character of Christ that most accurately embodied the idea of what I thought God to be - or perhaps more accurately - what I would want him to be.

For me, the relation to Christ lent validity to scripture and I started to apply to my life, the principles found within - things like proverbs and various teachings of Christ. It's all been very beneficial and quite an interesting journey thus far - but without insight from other christians, it's doubtful I would be traveling down this path of such an amazing experience - and I'm thankful for that, even in the midst of trials along that path.

gowlerk

Faith and God can not be proved, and it also can't be disproved. Believe anything you want. My God will judge you on your behavior, not your belief.

Christianity has taught that the heart or belief behind your behavior is important as well. You can give to charity all you want, but are you really doing it out of empathy because you really care, or are you doing it more for self serving reasons like media exposure, financial gain or personal praise?