ryoder

"ex-CIA operative" and Fox News analyst Wayne Simmons

ryoder

Long story about how a fraud was exposed.
He did have an "interesting" background, but not the one he claimed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/06/magazine/the-plot-to-take-down-a-fox-news-analyst.html

Wow.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

ryoder

Long story about how a fraud was exposed.
He did have an "interesting" background, but not the one he claimed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/06/magazine/the-plot-to-take-down-a-fox-news-analyst.html

Whenever someone claims to be a CIA employee, I take it as a given that they are bullshitting. The number of people who work directly for the CIA is vanishingly small, mostly administrative types; honest to god spooks always have a very legitimate cover.

Ninja are routinely depicted as black-clad types that lurk in the shadows, but are actually very innocuous looking. When the Master of the household is killed and the gardener is trembling in fear, giving an account of ghostly assassins who came and left without a trace, that furthers the myth - and takes the heat off the gardener, who is the real ninja.

Similarly, the only people I would guess were spooks always had a very legitimate job, one that put them where they could pick up on key details of what is going on. They had a perfectly normal existence for all intents and purposes, and would vociferously deny being an intelligence operative if asked. As a matter of survival, even hinting at having been a spook would be out of the question.

In any event, I doubt the credentials of anyone touted by media as being 'ex-CIA,' and expect that the people in Langley are quite happy to have as much disinformation out there as possible, which takes the pressure off their own 'ninja/gardener' types.

The fact that an 'expert' of any stripe was revealed to be a charlatan is hardly surprising.

BSBD,

Winsor

P.S.: "Travels With My Aunt" nails it. Greene was a spook.

I read an interview with Le Carre recently about adaptations of his books. The first one to be made into a film was 'The Spy Who Came In From The Cold' and he was worried that the screenplay would lose his gritty, low key spycraft and introduce lots of unrealistic cliches... Turned out the screenwriter had trained SOE operatives during WW2 and knew more about genuine undercover work than he did!:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

I read an interview with Le Carre recently about adaptations of his books. The first one to be made into a film was 'The Spy Who Came In From The Cold' and he was worried that the screenplay would lose his gritty, low key spycraft and introduce lots of unrealistic cliches... Turned out the screenwriter had trained SOE operatives during WW2 and knew more about genuine undercover work than he did!:P

David Cornwell didn't become a spook until the Cold War.

I concluded that he was on the job when a number of scenarios turned up in his stories that turned out to have been classified at the time. Given the Official Secrets Act (a rather unforgiving bit of legislation), the only way he could have published the work without being 'disappeared' is with official approval, which is only afforded to employees.

In any event, I doubt the credentials of anyone touted by media as being 'ex-CIA,' and expect that the people in Langley are quite happy to have as much disinformation out there as possible, which takes the pressure off their own 'ninja/gardener' types.

Why are planting seeds of doubt?

Just what are you digging at?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

"I'm not a spy, but I played one on TV."

winsor

Yeah, and I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :P
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

winsor

The irony is: That is a very true statement.