mirage62

Obama's "Non-executive order" was just grand standing?

>Your OK with the government having more and bigger guns to point at you

No, I'm not.

>and you think that our politicians deserve more protections than the average person.

No, I don't. I think SOME politicians need more protection than the average person. As has been demonstrated all too often, assassination is a very real threat here - and both sides seek to increase the tensions that lead to such threats.

billvon

>Your OK with the government having more and bigger guns to point at you

No, I'm not.

>and you think that our politicians deserve more protections than the average person.

No, I don't. I think SOME politicians need more protection than the average person. As has been demonstrated all too often, assassination is a very real threat here - and both sides seek to increase the tensions that lead to such threats.

Yep, and that is why we have politicians standing behind a wall of heavily armed thugs pointing guns at us telling us we don't need the same guns to protect ourselves.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

>Yep, and that is why we have politicians standing behind a wall of heavily
>armed thugs pointing guns at us telling us we don't need the same guns to
>protect ourselves.

I've met about a dozen politicians, including a vice president. I've never had a wall of heavily armed thugs pointing their guns at me. If you have experienced that, then the problem may be with you rather than "the system."

Hi 71,

The US military is only allowed to operate outside the US

Oh, yea? From the following link: 'On September 24, the President ordered the 101st Airborne Division of the United States Army—without its black soldiers, who rejoined the division a month later—to Little Rock and federalized the entire 10,000-member Arkansas National Guard, taking it out of the hands of Faubus.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Rock_Nine

as per the Posse Comitatus Act.

And what legislature passed this act? I would like to know because I have never heard of any legislature doing so.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) One more: 'At 4:45 p.m., commanded by Gen. Douglas MacArthur, the 12th Infantry Regiment, Fort Howard, Maryland, and the 3rd Cavalry Regiment, supported by six battle tanks commanded by Maj. George S. Patton, formed in Pennsylvania Avenue while thousands of civil service employees left work to line the street and watch. The Bonus Marchers, believing the troops were marching in their honor, cheered the troops until Patton ordered the cavalry to charge them—an action which prompted the spectators to yell, "Shame! Shame!" '

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army

billvon

Ok, do you think that a regular citizen, facing a demonstrable threat, should have access to the same type of stuff used to protect the politicians?

I mean weaponry appropriate to the threat. The security details in parts of DC have Stinger surface-to-air missiles to defend against a threat from the air. I don't mean that.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

>Ok, do you think that a regular citizen, facing a demonstrable threat, should
>have access to the same type of stuff used to protect the politicians?

With appropriate training and licensing - yes. (And excepting the exclusively miltiary weapons, as you mention.)

DanG

As a soldier in the US military, you have been granted the right to travel to war zones and kill people without prosecution. "Regular" citizens don't have that right. Are you saying that you shouldn't have that right, or that any American should be able to go to Afghanistan and kill people with impunity?

No. You haven't, and that is a pretty barbaric way of looking at it.

As a soldier in the us military, you are given orders to complete missions and are not always brought up on charges of death occurs while accomplishing those directives.

There is no "right" to kill, just as there is no liscenses to kill like James Bond has.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

DanG

apparently you must be killing.....a lot.......with impunity

Never said he was killing. But if he was, and he was killing the right people, he'd be hailed as a hero, not a mass murderer. Because he's a soldier in a war zone, his rights and responibilities are different than a civilian back home.

Are you saying that you shouldn't have that right, or that any American should be able to go to Afghanistan and kill people with impunity?

Suggesting an American goes to Afghanistan and kills with impunity by default suggests he as a member of the Military is doing so.

DanG

Huh, I was under the impression you had served. Was I wrong?

Soldiers in a war zone absolutely have the right to kill the enemy. This is true whether or not they are on a mission.

You are really backward on this one.

Soldiers are give an objective.
They do not have the right to do anything but follow orders.

I served during the the first gulf ware.

If I had killed any enemy where I was, I would have been court marshaled.
Yes, I was in the gulf. Yes, I was in a war zone. I didn't have the right to do anything but what my orders were.

That's how the military works.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

normiss

Well, in most cases.
I'm sure there are a handful of German WWII soldiers in prison that would see it somewhat different.

Just because you have the right to do something, doesn't mean you have to.

JerryBaumchen

Hi 71,

The US military is only allowed to operate outside the US

Oh, yea? From the following link: 'On September 24, the President ordered the 101st Airborne Division of the United States Army—without its black soldiers, who rejoined the division a month later—to Little Rock and federalized the entire 10,000-member Arkansas National Guard, taking it out of the hands of Faubus.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Rock_Nine

***as per the Posse Comitatus Act.

And what legislature passed this act? I would like to know because I have never heard of any legislature doing so.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) One more: 'At 4:45 p.m., commanded by Gen. Douglas MacArthur, the 12th Infantry Regiment, Fort Howard, Maryland, and the 3rd Cavalry Regiment, supported by six battle tanks commanded by Maj. George S. Patton, formed in Pennsylvania Avenue while thousands of civil service employees left work to line the street and watch. The Bonus Marchers, believing the troops were marching in their honor, cheered the troops until Patton ordered the cavalry to charge them—an action which prompted the spectators to yell, "Shame! Shame!" '

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army

The president and Patton should have been removed and sent to jail:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1385

And more, even though it's wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_Act
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything