AEsco48

Should i get a hook knife?

Ditto.

I have 3 on both my rigs in the locations you described. When I put my wingsuit on a rig it takes me down to 2 as the 2 on the legstraps are covered by the suit, but I've added a Raptor to the hook knife pocket on the suit leg.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I think all licensed skydivers should carry a hook knife, but I don't think it is something you need to worry about at 2 jumps. It might do more harm than good right now. Talk to your instructors.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

just wondering where and how the hook knifes are actually attached to the rig and are they easily removed, as i still rent my gear, anybody have a personal favorite or a do not buy suggestion
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

No matter how many you carry, get in hanging harness and place your hook knife/s where you can reach them with both hands. Most leg mounted knives can't be reached with the opposite hand. Remember, you can't bend over when hanging in a harness.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hook Knives are some of the most important equipment that I own. You never know when you'll need them, and they seriously can save your life. Talk to your instructors about it.

CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

aight so what hook knife to get?....and i guess i need some type of pouch that has a slot for the chest strap....suggestions?

there are several to choose from and a variety of sources

here's one source http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=388&level=1

Don't go too cheap, the really cheap ones may not cut as well.

EDIT TO ADD: TALK WITH YOUR INSTRUCTOR AND GET THERE OPINION BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

aight so what hook knife to get?....and i guess i need some type of pouch that has a slot for the chest strap....suggestions?

Yes I have a suggestion. Go talk to your instructors. I would not allow a student of mine with 2 jumps to wear a hook knife. People have died pulling on a hook knife on their chest strap thinking it was a cutaway or reserve handle or using it to do mid air rigging instead of performing their EP’s!

At your jump numbers you will NOT have the presence of mind to properly use a hook knife and need to be focusing on the basics you are being taught. Because of your inexperience you run too high a risk of dying trying to do mid air rigging and not performing your EP’s properly and in a timely manner. Or you will potentially confuse it for a handle if it is mounded on your chest strap and run a undo risk of dying trying to perform EP’s by pulling on the hook knife thinking it is handle. This is just my opinion but I think you have no business wearing a hook knife at your jump numbers! I recommend all LICENSED jumpers wear at least one and preferably two. You have a long way to go and a lot to learn before you get a license. GO TALK TO YOUR INSTRUCTORS!!!!!!! I would be very surprised if they allowed you to wear a hook knife
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I have been planning to get one, not to do any mid air rigging, but just for the freak accident where my reserve deploys right before exit and I find myself with it wrapped around tail of the jump plane. (yes I get about 5 pin checks per jump but shit happens).

Otherwise I agree I don't have the experince to use one.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

other than the chest strap where would a good place be, front of shoulderstraps? on side of jumpsuit, i agree with the statment of some one being able to mix up a handel for the hook knife. especialy with a full face helmet some limit your veiw of the handels.
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

other than the chest strap where would a good place be

One in each leg-strap and at least one under one mudflap [that's the bit of codura over your main lift web... the shoulder strap]
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

No matter how many you carry, get in hanging harness and place your hook knife/s where you can reach them with both hands. Most leg mounted knives can't be reached with the opposite hand. Remember, you can't bend over when hanging in a harness.

That's because you're old and stiff, Mike!:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

....should i buy a hook knife?....where would i place it (jumping the DZ's rig)

Ok,I`m old and out of it.
But a student rig without a knife?
Such basic safety measures might be outdated in today`s world of "fantastic" gadgets,but it seems pretty cheap.

IMO a student should never be given the option of a hook knife. While parachutes are not rocket science their design and function is outside their field of expertise and they should not be redesigning one in the air.:)
Hell I know jumpers with several thousand jumps that should not be playing with anything sharp in freefall.:P

IMO a student should never be given the option of a hook knife. While parachutes are not rocket science their design and function is outside their field of expertise and they should not be redesigning one in the air.:)
Hell I know jumpers with several thousand jumps that should not be playing with anything sharp in freefall.:P

Excatly...like in everything there are idiots....if there are skydivers with several thousand jumps who should not have a hook knife...is it possible there are students who have the capability of making informed decisions under life or death situations, maybe they have experience in doing so b\c of other sports they practice, their education or their jobs.....is it possible that this rare breed of "student" might actually be able to use a hook knife as a last resort to save his life?

not that im saying im this rare breed....

If you think you want to jump with a hook knife (definitely a good thing to jump with once you know your gear, know what to cut and when to cut it), then remember to bring two. You're going to drop the first one. And if you think I'm picking on you? I'm not. It's what the CReW Dawgs always tell their new CReW pups.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

.....is it possible that this rare breed of "student" might actually be able to use a hook knife as a last resort to save his life?

Possible but not very likely. I think that you will find that most students that feel they are a part of this breed end up in a wheel chair or dead.

maybe they have experience in doing so b\c of other sports they practice, their education or their jobs

There is very little if anything that people learn before they jump they can be applied to skydiving. That is one reason the initial learning curve is so steep.