NewGuy2005

School Shooting - Northern Arizona

...US students are already behind and falling in global league tables. Damn kids are never going to learn anything if they're spending all their classroom time hiding under desks dodging bullets.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

SkyDekker

If in a slide, it has nothing to do with having guns

So Americans just have a higher rate of mental illness and a lower ability to control impulses than the rest of the civilized world?

Why do you care?

You don't live here

Have to travel there.

Now, care to answer the question?

You do not have to travel anywhere
But you must feel safe or you would stop
Anyway

Your point of view and opinions come from a flawed perception. It is obvious you wish no one had guns.

This will never be the case here

So no, no point in answering a question that comes from a false and leaning perspective.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

RMK

...US students are already behind and falling in global league tables. Damn kids are never going to learn anything if they're spending all their classroom time hiding under desks dodging bullets.

Talk to the liberals

It is their agenda in place in most of the schools in this country
They create this mess with big government and then say we need bigger government to fix what they already fucking broke!!!
Abraham Lincoln

kallend

Let's look at something that kills every day
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Stumpy

The difference (well, one of the many) is, no one really complains when you try to do something about traffic fatalities.

Stop trotting out the tired old nonsense and use your brain.

He is dude

The selective outrage by those who say gun deaths are somehow different and more tragic is apparent and ugly
Abraham Lincoln

Stumpy

The difference (well, one of the many) is, no one really complains when you try to do something about traffic fatalities.

Who is complaining. Enforce the laws we have.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

Let's look at something that kills every day Are you really incapable of dealing with more than one thing at a time? I'm sure that is not the case.

Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US (23.5 % of deaths). The next is cancer (22.5%), followed by lower respiratory disease (4.7%), and so on. Would you really criticize your doctor for paying attention to anything other than heart disease? Would you really suggest they ignore diabetes because only 2.4% of deaths are due to that cause? Of course not. So why don't you stop with the asinine suggestion that people who are killed with guns don't count. Either that, or call up Freethefly and have a talk with him about his niece. I'm sure you'll be able to comfort him with the knowledge that she was less important than people who die because of car accidents.

Oh and hey Marc, same for you.

Don

RMK

They'll learn not to zig when they should have zagged :ph34r:

On a serious note, in 2011, there were 136,423 schools in the U.S. In 2011, there were 8 school shootings. 4 of those resulted in zero fatalities. The other 4 resulted in a total of 6 fatalities.

This puts the chances of dodging bullets at school, whether in kindergarten or your senior year of college, at just less than a .006% chance.

The media makes it look like going to school is more dangerous than than an American christian trying to convert muslems in Raqqa, Syria, because their audience has a morbid fascination with sick sh*t, which translates into rating$.

GeorgiaDon

Three shootings in a week at Texas Southern University.

www.seattlepi.com/news/texas/article/2-detained-after-Texas-Southern-University-6566565.php

Let's look at something that kills every day Are you really incapable of dealing with more than one thing at a time? I'm sure that is not the case.

Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US (23.5 % of deaths). The next is cancer (22.5%), followed by lower respiratory disease (4.7%), and so on. Would you really criticize your doctor for paying attention to anything other than heart disease? Would you really suggest they ignore diabetes because only 2.4% of deaths are due to that cause? Of course not. So why don't you stop with the asinine suggestion that people who are killed with guns don't count. Either that, or call up Freethefly and have a talk with him about his niece. I'm sure you'll be able to comfort him with the knowledge that she was less important than people who die because of car accidents.

Don

Who the hell said they do not count?
Abraham Lincoln

When you and Turtle say we should not worry about people who are killed with guns until every other cause of death is eliminated first, you are saying they don't count.

Your post (# 159) from the 8-year-old girl... thread:
"yes
Or
1.19 per 100,000 "

When you say it's only a couple of percent (on a deaths per 100,000 population scale) you are choosing to use a metric that makes the number look small, so you can dismiss it as insignificant. It would look a hell of a lot more significant if you, or Turtle, or the other gun violence apologists around here had to read aloud, one by one, the names of every one of those people.

Your entire posting history on this topic can be summarized as "people who are killed with guns don't count".

Don

GeorgiaDon

Three shootings in a week at Texas Southern University.

www.seattlepi.com/news/texas/article/2-detained-after-Texas-Southern-University-6566565.php

Don

Why FOCUS so intently solely on such a low percentage killer, without addressing the higher with even MORE VIM AND VIGOR?

Oh, and just sose ya know, my nephew didn't fare to well either, but this was because of something other than a gun. So you probably don't think it is really important and not worthy of anything now. After all, he wasn't killed by a gun, so, yeah, not a priority for you and yours.

GeorgiaDon

When you and Turtle say we should not worry about people who are killed with guns until every other cause of death is eliminated first, you are saying they don't count.

"yes
Or
1.19 per 100,000 "

When you say it's only a couple of percent (on a deaths per 100,000 population scale) you are choosing to use a metric that makes the number look small, so you can dismiss it as insignificant. It would look a hell of a lot more significant if you, or Turtle, or the other gun violence apologists around here had to read aloud, one by one, the names of every one of those people.

Your entire posting history on this topic can be summarized as "people who are killed with guns don't count".

Don

Show me specifically where I said we shouldn't worry about people who are killed with guns. I'll wait.

Until then, quit projecting.

What I have done, is point out the hypocrisy and grand standing, where you choose to see one cause as important and dismiss all the others.

Fine, lobby and argue to ban guns, but it is extremely inconsistent and dishonest if you refuse to put at least the same effort arguing and lobbying for a death demographic that causes more deaths, you know, like 10x the deaths that the other, more excitable, more dramatic, pulse elevating subject.

If you doubt me, look at the lies you told in the above quoted post.

Why lie unless you are emotionally involved and not using critical thinking.

turtlespeed

Let's look at something that kills every day

Guns kill, on average, 30 Americans every day.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

turtlespeed

***The difference (well, one of the many) is, no one really complains when you try to do something about traffic fatalities.

Who is complaining. Enforce the laws we have.

Since the comparison is with traffic, using that argument we'd not have seat belts, air bags, dual braking systems, safety glass windshields, properly rated tires, etc. since all were mandated to be introduced after there were existing laws in place.

Really silly argument.

GeorgiaDon

"yes
Or
1.19 per 100,000 "

Don

That 1.19 per 100k amounts to some 3,500 Americans killed every year. They are the ones Marc and Turtle say don't count.

You are absolutely correct.

Show me specifically where I said we shouldn't worry about people who are killed with guns.

In every thread on the topic of gun violence, you seek to change the topic to car accidents or swimming pool drownings or some other non-sequitur. It's always done in a manner that holds these other things up as more important.

Actual adults are capable of working to fix more than one problem at a time. No rational person would argue that we should not do any research on cancer treatments until we have a 100% cure rate for heart disease, just because more people (in the US) die of heart disease than cancer. They both kill or disable people, so the medical community works to improve treatments for both, and many other diseases as well.

I have never held up gun violence to be more important than car crashes, heart disease, or any other cause of death. When the thread topic is gun violence, I'll comment on gun violence, not some irrelevant misdirection such as malaria, malnutrition, or any other "something shiny". You obviously prefer the misdirection. Staying on topic is not hypocrisy or grandstanding.

I'm sorry to hear your nephew died. If you want, you could start a thread on that, and we can discuss that topic. I can assure you I will not try to derail the discussion by bringing up irrelevant diseases or other things that happen to kill more people.

BTW I have not said anything here about gun control, confiscating guns, or anything else of that nature. All I have said is that when we talk about gun violence we are talking about real people, and it is disrespectful in the extreme to dismiss those people as trivial statistics just because there are fewer of them than there are victims of car accidents, heart diseases, or cancer.

Don

GeorgiaDon

Show me specifically where I said we shouldn't worry about people who are killed with guns.

In every thread on the topic of gun violence, you seek to change the topic to car accidents or swimming pool drownings or some other non-sequitur. It's always done in a manner that holds these other things up as more important.

Actual adults are capable of working to fix more than one problem at a time. No rational person would argue that we should not do any research on cancer treatments until we have a 100% cure rate for heart disease, just because more people (in the US) die of heart disease than cancer. They both kill or disable people, so the medical community works to improve treatments for both, and many other diseases as well.

I have never held up gun violence to be more important than car crashes, heart disease, or any other cause of death. When the thread topic is gun violence, I'll comment on gun violence, not some irrelevant misdirection such as malaria, malnutrition, or any other "something shiny". You obviously prefer the misdirection. Staying on topic is not hypocrisy or grandstanding.

I'm sorry to hear your nephew died. If you want, you could start a thread on that, and we can discuss that topic. I can assure you I will not try to derail the discussion by bringing up irrelevant diseases or other things that happen to kill more people.

BTW I have not said anything here about gun control, confiscating guns, or anything else of that nature. All I have said is that when we talk about gun violence we are talking about real people, and it is disrespectful in the extreme to dismiss those people as trivial statistics just because there are fewer of them than there are victims of car accidents, heart diseases, or cancer.

Don

Everything you said seems to be on the up and up, but how many times have you seen a anti gun person here stand up and raise hell about food laws or funding for food ________for 10 pages when a 23 year old has had a MI or stroke and died from it due to heart disease?

If a human is more than capable of handling more than one thing at a time, and people actually do care about all of them, what is the ratio of gun to food death threads here?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Everything you said seems to be on the up and up, but how many times have you seen a anti gun person here stand up and raise hell about food laws or funding for food ________for 10 pages when a 23 year old has had a MI or stroke and died from it due to heart disease?

If you think that's something that needs to be discussed, why don't you start a thread on it?

Otherwise, it is just misdirection like Don said.

- Dan G

Although it has not been an official thread I have brought this up many times here so yes I have addressed the issue that although it is preventable and it should get attention it is getting a disproportionate amount of our attention here, the medias attention, and the politicians abuse for the amount of lives it takes compared to dozens of other non constitutionally protected issues. Thanks.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

DanG

If you think that's something that needs to be discussed, why don't you start a thread on it?

Otherwise, it is just misdirection like Don said.

Pointing out hypocrisy and disingenuous emotional spewing is not misdirection.